Amati/Victory Models HMS Vanguard, examples of natural wood finish?

Esap

Hi all, I am having trouble finding many examples of the HMS Vanguard kit in a natural wood finish. I love the look of the kit, but am not keen at all to paint it and was hoping for more inspirational images of it in a natural finish. The build logs I find on modelshipworld all seem to have gone the fully painted route. Perhaps my search skills are simply not up to par.

Best I have found so far is http://modelshipbuilder.la.coocan.jp/elephant.htm, although the photos are not big the model clearly looks fantastic done this way, and I would love to see more examples, or of a very similar nature even if not the same kit - I heard a rumour of a Bellona prototype from Chris done with Tanganyika but can't seem to find any serious photos there either.

Thanks for your help,

Esap

What kind of wood came with the kit?   For the hull above the coppering Alaskan cedar and castello boxwood are popular and are very tight grained so look terrific when left natural.  The wales and the strake above the main wales of course can be any wood as they would be painted/stained black.   For items such as bitts and such, Swiss pear is a reddish color that may alleviate the  need of red paint.  Same goes for the stops in the ports, spirketting and quickwork on the bulwarks, although the red may be too subtle for you compared to what is usually seen on contemporary models. Rosewood, especially Brazilian rosewood, is a great red color wood, but needs to be wiped down with IPA or Xylene to remove the surface oil to eliminate the gluing issues.  For decks, holly is grand and the whitish color gives a contrast to the other woods in the build.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Esap, I agree that model looks beautiful. 

If you look at the second of the "build" pages (there are links to two pages of photos), there's text in Japanese. Translated, it reads:

Around the gunport (yellow part) is boxwood.
The well (the black part of the wainscot) is made of ebony.
Others (brown part) are walnut.
The deck is Tanganyika.

Of course, this is a Google translation, so by the "well" or "black part of the wainscot" they mean the wales. I think they used the kit woods for the walnut and the tanganyika. That's pretty standard for Amati.

Hope that helps!

Clare

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

• 2 months later...