Oseberg by Eindride. Billings 1:25

Hi and welcome to my build log for the Oseberg ship. This will be my first ship build so progress may be a bit slow 😅

Why the Oseberg ship? Simply because in spare time I do living history displays from the early medieval and have made replicas from the Oseberg burial so why not the ship. 

I've been looking at other build logs from Jack Panzeca , Von-Kossa and Jason Builder and I'm in awe of their work. 

Along the way I'll be making a few changes (such as the sail. Will be making one from wool as per the original) and hope they'll enhance the project. 

So here are the Billings kits I have.

Quite a surprise getting the 720 at a bargain price off ebay and when it arrived finding that it comes with a mini oseberg ship and a Billings Oseberg 518.

I actually messaged the seller querying why 2 kits to be told he decided to send both as had advertised them separately several time but had no interest.

Thinking I'll make the Oseberg 720 first.

Unboxing pictures to follow soon

20230707_204808.jpg

20230707_204848.jpg

Nice. The Oseberg is still the most beautiful of all the Viking ships discovered. Those carvings are amazing. At this scale they are basically impossible to duplicate perfectly, but (depending on your carving skills) the outlines provided on the kit can be improved upon quite a lot (it's called kit-bashing).

image.png.d272e3140bb135715471a53b9fe7df6a.png

Nice to have you aboard. I was an early mediaeval re-enactor for many years (11th century Anglo-Saxon, took part in the Hastings re-enactments of 2000 AD and 2006). And I visited Bristol in 2009 and saw Brunel's beautiful Great Britain and the reconstruction of Cabot's Matthew. Fond memories.

BTW, I've put quite a bit of study into Viking ships, so if you have any questions, I may be able to help.

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Eindride!

Looking forward to watching your build progress!   Mine is still in progress and I have set myself the end of this year as my completion date.   

cheers!

Jason

• 4 months later...
22 minutes ago, Louie da fly said:

Hi Eindride! Is there any progress happening on this build? It'd be nice to hear from you.

Steven

I was just wondering the same! Steven, good catch.... time to reel him in. 
Hope he didn't give up.🙃

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry