Jim Byrnes Saw Rattling Vibration

Hey Group,

I am wondering if any of you have a tip for me here.  Recently I had the saw's motor replaced by Jim and it was shipped back to me.  Once I turn the power I noticed a rattling vibration noise where the motor plugs into the rear belt gear of the saw under the guard.  After maybe no more than 10 or 15 seconds if I touch the belt guard its red hot.  Something is causing friction back here obviously.  The belt guard does look properly seated on the unit. 

I have an email into Jim - I know he's trying to take some time off right now.  Any ideas are appreciated - I do not want to operate the saw until I can solve this issue.

Chris

If the guard is hot it is being contacted by the belt or the pulley.  If the belt guard is hot at the rear look to see it the belt is running in line with the front belt pulley - parallel to the side of the saw.  I just looked at both of my saws and the belt is approximately 3/8" clear of the side of the saw and about 1/4" clear of the inside surface of the belt guard.  This is at the front as the rear pulley is deep inside the guard thus dark back there.  But you can see if the belt and its pulley is clear of the guard at the front and you should be able to see to the back to see if it is running in line with the front pulley.  I used a small flashlight.  The belt guard can be removed to check this.  Also, turn the saw on to see if the belt stays in alignment with the saw running.

Only friction of the belt or a pulley rubbing against  the guard can be your source of heat as there is nothing else there.

Be sure to tell us what you find.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Hi Chris - I had a similar issue with the belt rubbing on the guard at the motor end.  After speaking to Jim he suggested that the motor tensioning spring was probably not as it was.  So he suggested that I place a few small washers behind the spring and this solved the problem.  It pulled the motor further up and also gave more tension on the belt.  Even now I only have a small gap between the belt and guard but it certainly solved the problem - Mark