I am having a issue with figure scales. I had purchased some 1/48 scale figures ( gun crew, cook) from Vanguard and loved them, so I bought another set to use on another 1/48 scale model. I was getting tired of the same figures on different model so I started searching around and found some on Shapeways. Ordered a couple 1/48 scale to see the detail and such. So why aren’t ALL 1/48 scale the same size. I contacted Shapeways and the say all their figures ate based on a 5’6” to 5’8” human and 1/48 should be 1 3/8 inch to 1 1/5 inch (I have never seen a measurement displayed as 1 1/5 but maybe that is just me) see photos for issue. What the heck.

IMG_4355.jpeg

IMG_4357.jpeg

IMG_4359.jpeg

Regards,

Jim Rogers

Damn the Torpedoes , Full speed ahead.   Adm David Farragut.

Those  are  quite a  striking difference  I have only  used a  few of the  1/48  scale  figures  before  - I thnk  by the  ICM  range  but they where  WW2  aircrew.

I  tend  to  work  with  28mm   figures   from the   Victrix  and   Perry  ranges   and  a  few  resin   types  that  can  be  a  bit  over scale  compared  to  the  plastic  ones,     not much  help  I an affraid  -  but hopefully   there will  be more  replies.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 hour ago, Roger Pellett said:

BTW, that guy emerging from the hatch carrying the cartridge is about to get decapitated by the guy firing the mortar!😆

If not decapitated he'll be spared hearing his wife's nagging. 

I recently bought a cast metal figure to be the "Captain" of my build. With hat the figure is 35 mm high. Without the hat the fellow would be about 32mm (with boots on). That is an odd size:

1:48    32 mm  =  1.536 meters  =  4.94 feet

1:50    32 mm  =  1.600 meters  =  5.14 feet

1:64    32 mm  =  2.048 meters  =  6.59 feet

1:72    32 mm  =  2.304 meters  =  7.41 feet

So at common modeling scales either the guy is very short or very tall.

If we assume and average fellow was 5.67 feet (5 foot 8 inches) = 1.762 meters then the figure would be 1:55 scale!

?WTF Who models at 1:55??

Maybe sailors were just a lot shorter 200 years ago? Midshipman maybe?

Edited by Dr PR