HMS Pegasus 1776 by Darius359au - Amati/Victory Models - 1/64

pretty much done with the deck ,some small things to do and they get glued in place then it gets interesting😎

Im really happy with the foc'sle  partition,looks pretty good in my humble opinion 🤣! ,and I've started the guns ,still not sure if im going to do all the tackle yet or just the breeching rope, (issue is I had a bad knife accident a few years back that took out the radial artery and nerve at the base of my left index finger ,even with microsurgery and time for the nerve to regrow i dont have feeling at the top and inside of the finger nearest to the thumb..Right where you need to hold things for fine work ,made it interesting trimming and cutting small pieces when i got back to modelling).

It's going to be interesting when it's time to start the rigging😒

Richard

IMG_6159.thumb.jpg.6dae0e27b3e7a7e84c812a6ac8d21d19.jpg

IMG_6158.thumb.jpg.8acb42ae6f9d17d87721a921ce3802c0.jpg

Edited by Darius359au

Quick overview shot ,pegasus has come along way in the last couple of months that in the previous 10 years😎🤣

Fo'csle is glued down now ,non visible gun carriages are all in place ,working on the head stuff ,would be good here if the plans were a little clearer i'm having fun working out what goes where and order of build.

Richard

IMG_6171.jpg

It's looking good my friend.  For me this part of the build is the funniest, all the deck furniture and masts. And the ships boat. 

Merry Christmas 

Bob M :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Doing some work on the decorations with the quarter badges , they turned out ok but unfortunately one of the pieces with the little loops was missing one ,hadn't broken off there was just nothing there.

Used a different blue for the loops just for a contrast to the other colours.

bluetacked in place and looks ok!

IMG_6180.jpg

IMG_6181.jpg

Edited by Darius359au

Just as an FYI, and I realize most kit makers ignore this, but the knee of the head tapers as it goes forward.   A Swan class ship's knee of the head tapered down from 10" at the stem to about 4" wide (0.06" at 1:64) at the forward end.  The dimensions and shaping of this is described in detail for Swan class ships in page 142 Volume 2 of your TFFM books.

Allan

PegasuskneeoftheheadA.JPG.02c8fbfd101ecb028c88aa8384dce7f7.JPG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Posted (edited)

I'm unhappy with the ochre on the decorations ,for some reason the primer and paint keep flaking plus it just looks "dull"!

After some experiments I went with a product from AK paints called "True Metal" it's a wax based very fine pigment "paint" that you can polish with a cotton bud or soft cloth when it drys for more shine!

I've gone with "Brass" because it gives a nice light gold colour which is what i'm looking for.

1st picture is what i normally use it for ,in this case 1/16 tank rounds and the second is the quarter badge for Pegasus.

IMG_4634.JPG

IMG_6187.jpg

Edited by Darius359au

All the decorations have been painted in the true metal and I've given them 3 coats of Mission Models flat varnish to protect it - because the true metals a wax based product it can rub off a bit on fingers and get on other parts you handle! ,The Mission Models varnish stops that and it can resist scratching with a fingernail so I dont need to worry so much about damaging it😎

The flat varnish has also knocked back shininess of the gold colour and gives it a nice sheen.

Oh and added a pic of my results with my new plank bender ,the really tight bend has a 25mm inside diameter which is crazy!

Richard

IMG_6197.jpg

IMG_6198.jpg

IMG_6199.jpg

IMG_6200.jpg

IMG_6196.jpg

Oh you lucky guy. I was thinking about it, but I have no idea how to use them. Plus now my little pest problem has grown into a pile of money to fix oh well what can you do. Lol

Good luck on your new tool,  :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been getting the decorations in place and heads done which has lead to a Best Layed Plans situation - I left the rails unpainted above and below the photoetch ,then i got to the last part and looking it as a whole I dont like it😒 ,I'm going to paint them black once the heads done and the last pieces of rail are in place ,(ignore the scrapped paint ,I'd painted the blue to far down so cleaning it up for the ochre).

Another thing I've done is experiment with copper tape on the hull....yeah now I've done a few rows on the port side and figured it out im going to have to the whole thing because it does look much better than the paint.....

Richard

IMG_6223.jpg

IMG_6222.jpg

Ever made a tool thats perfect for a job but was a complete accident and you were doing something else? ,I've just done that with the "tool" im using to smooth down the copper tape im using on Pegasus!

Long story short ,I did some tests on a piece of 10mm dowel and was happy with the results of just using files and sanding pads - be interesting to see what I can do when i get chisels!

Started putting the copper tape on the hull and I needed something to smooth it down ,I looked at the end of the dowel I'd turned and it was like a eureka moment ,the end was rounded and smooth so I rubbed the tape down and it worked alot better than I thought😎

IMG_6225.jpg

IMG_6226.jpg

portside coppering continues ,taking a bit more time than i thought between working it out and my spine going ouch,(shot spine ,multiple fused vertebra and an idiot hunching over models and losing time then trying to stand up and getting yelled at by said spine😒)

One thing I've learned is the tape looks better in long runs instead of short lengths and it's easier to control how it all goes down lines up!

I've experimented with the AL plate roller and it works better than expected ,not perfect but it gives the illusion of plating from a normal viewing distance! ,and did on the port side because if it all went wrong that sides not seen when on display😎🤣

IMG_6227.jpg

IMG_6228.jpg

IMG_6229.jpg

Edited by Darius359au

It appears that the copper is covering both the area of the keel and false keel.  There has been a good bit of discussion the past few days at https://modelshipworld.com/topic/36042-copper-plate-overlapping-1794-lower-overlaps-upper-or-vice-versa/ that some may find interesting that indicate the copper did not cover the false keel.   

Sketch below of the overlap &c.

Allan

Coppersheathingatkeelandfalsekeel.JPG.e5a30bb6f8af0358263c21cdfc420809.JPG

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...

Well the coppering has been finished ,not exactly prototypical close up But from normal viewing distances it looks the part so im happy.

Was about to get back to the decorations and somehow I dont have any 2x1 and 1x1 mm wood left for the job ,a few small pieces but not enough for the rest of the model so wood order time😒

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

plugging along ,heads are done and just needs decorations ,bellfry and rails for the spare spars in place and the bellfry is leaded.

Next job is finally fix the quarterdeck in place and build the gangboards to the fo'c'sle -guns need to go in first and holes for the inbuilt "sheaves" for the rigging cleats.

Image - "leaded" belfry ,just needs painting

Richard

IMG_6278.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see you back at it Richard - I admire your persistence.