10 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

Mike, .... -38C !!!!!!

It just occurred to me to check back here since I hadn't had any notifications....turns out I had forgotten to "follow" my own thread.

Wow those drawings are highly detailed!!  Right down to hole locations in decks for cabin sink drains, and size/measured location for the china cabinet ... 🙃

There doesn't seem to be a drawing of the china cabinet itself, though. 😏

An incredible resource for potential Klondike modellers.

Thank you so much for obtaining all these drawing sheets!  I will email Richard and Terry to thank them too.

Wonder who will be the first to start a build? My money is on John Ruy ....

Ian: No problem in getting the pics. I guess Parks office was closed for XMAS but once they were open it was easy peasy.. they also indicated they will be doing renos on the upper deck and will be willing to take pics of any section of the ship. 

and we have warmed up here.. today it was a balmy -25c. 

Mike

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

5 hours ago, Knocklouder said:

I got to see the SS Klondike  back in 1978. I flew to Inuvik from Edmonton, then after a day there I took a bush plane to  Eagle Plains to paint a motel there. We got caught up with the drywallers so they sent my boss  and I to White Horse to get supplies.  

So we took a 1/2 ton truck down the Demster HWY  to White Horse, they  put four spare tires in the back of the truck and said good luck hope you make it lol. We had 3 flats on the way there and two on the way  back, I was told it was because of the permafrost  the road was build and it cracks along the road not across it .

Well in White Horse we walk around the SS Klondike  What a trip I still rember it clearly  well most of it lol but I do rember the river boat lol 😆 😜 

if you want to have a tip in driving the dempster. they use shale as the aggregate on the lower end and if you keep your speed under 80km/hr it will help not getting a flat... I have done the dempster more times than I care to remember and taking your time is the ticket for no flats

Mike

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

20 minutes ago, Ian_Grant said:

If you rent a car in Whitehorse now and propose to take it on the Dempster Highway, there is an extra charge. Presumably the highway is much better now than in 1978 but they say you **will** have a stone hit your windshield. In fact, when we did the pre-rental walk-around I pointed out a crack in the windshield; the guy just shrugged and said every car here has a cracked windshield LOL.

Our neighbour drove across the country to the Yukon last summer, went along the Dempster, and sure enough a stone came from nowhere and cracked his Tacoma's windshield.

Ian: Dont get me started on windshields.. I have a 2017 Jeep wrangler and Im on my 4th windshield. The one I have on my jeep has one big crack along the lower edge and 6 star chips and its only 7 months old... 😰

MIKE

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/3/2024 at 10:52 AM, Ian_Grant said:

Wonder who will be the first to start a build? My money is on John Ruy ....

Edited February 3 by Ian_Grant

Ian, I haven’t started a build log yet. But I bit the bullet and had the drawings printed at Staples. 

IMG_3585.thumb.jpeg.b04897574ce341e0c2c36ce7bf7827b1.jpegIMG_3586.thumb.jpeg.17907288552063fec0c4c426cc7a93eb.jpeg
Nice set of plans. Cost me 70.00 US, so now I’m committed. Drawings are 1/8” = 1’ . Some detail drawings are at 1/4”, 1/2 and 1” = 1’. Very nice detail. 👍

This is going to be my first scratch build, should be an exciting build. I currently have two on the bench, but I can certainly start a third build log and start the planning process and research while I finish up my Bluenose and mini Red Jacket. I’ll post a link to the build here. 

I think the Admiral just might have me committed. 😜

Cheers 🍻

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2024 at 3:05 PM, John Ruy said:

Ian, I haven’t started a build log yet. But I bit the bullet and had the drawings printed at Staples. 

IMG_3585.thumb.jpeg.b04897574ce341e0c2c36ce7bf7827b1.jpegIMG_3586.thumb.jpeg.17907288552063fec0c4c426cc7a93eb.jpeg
Nice set of plans. Cost me 70.00 US, so now I’m committed. Drawings are 1/8” = 1’ . Some detail drawings are at 1/4”, 1/2 and 1” = 1’. Very nice detail. 👍

This is going to be my first scratch build, should be an exciting build. I currently have two on the bench, but I can certainly start a third build log and start the planning process and research while I finish up my Bluenose and mini Red Jacket. I’ll post a link to the build here. 

I think the Admiral just might have me committed. 😜

Cheers 🍻

are those the plans that i got from Parks Canada for you or did you get them separately? they look great hardcopied!

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

8 hours ago, Kusawa2000 said:

are those the plans that i got from Parks Canada for you or did you get them separately? they look great hardcopied!

Mike Draper

Mike, 

Yes… Thank you for your research and posting of these plans. I have started drawing up templates to build a Plank on Bulkhead Hull. 

Nice set of plans. 👍
IMG_3601.thumb.jpeg.560e488b409628aea6ffc65d89c8b571.jpegIMG_3602.thumb.jpeg.47601dc5bf827e39741df846a5fc8aef.jpeg
IMG_3603.thumb.jpeg.1b7edbd85e6a339314bdeb7dba11fa54.jpegIMG_3606.thumb.jpeg.9e2bcd19dda10cc34f534a0ab2a66570.jpeg

I will get a build log started, as soon as I get the frame completed. 

John

1 hour ago, John Ruy said:

Mike, 

Yes… Thank you for your research and posting of these plans. I have started drawing up templates to build a Plank on Bulkhead Hull. 

Nice set of plans. 👍
IMG_3601.thumb.jpeg.560e488b409628aea6ffc65d89c8b571.jpegIMG_3602.thumb.jpeg.47601dc5bf827e39741df846a5fc8aef.jpeg
IMG_3603.thumb.jpeg.1b7edbd85e6a339314bdeb7dba11fa54.jpegIMG_3606.thumb.jpeg.9e2bcd19dda10cc34f534a0ab2a66570.jpeg

I will get a build log started, as soon as I get the frame completed. 

John

John: Good.. I hadnt seen them hard copied so its nice to see the level of detail is there when they get printed.. It will be great to see your progress shots once you get under way. 

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

On 12/16/2023 at 12:25 AM, Kusawa2000 said:

And there was a good model of the Klondike in one of the hotels in town. I can check to see if its still there..

Mike, Did you ever get a chance to check out this SS Klondike model? 

I am beginning some research and pics are always good. 👍 

4 minutes ago, John Ruy said:

Mike, Did you ever get a chance to check out this SS Klondike model? 

I am beginning some research and pics are always good. 👍 

Im pretty sure its still there. Now that I know someone wants pics I will check and if its there I will get a few pics for you. Either than overall shots do you have any detail pics you would like? I can also go down and get pics of the 1:1 model that is 3 blocks from my office 🙂 

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

5 minutes ago, Kusawa2000 said:

Im pretty sure its still there. Now that I know someone wants pics I will check and if its there I will get a few pics for you. Either than overall shots do you have any detail pics you would like? I can also go down and get pics of the 1:1 model that is 3 blocks from my office 🙂 

Mike Draper

Thanks Mike…

As for the Model, just a good overall shots would be great. As for details, Pics on board the 1:1 would be nice.

Anything you think would be useful would be greatly appreciated. 🍻

How / why SS Klondike, a cargo-carrying sternwheeler river boat briefly used for river cruises, became one of Parks Canada’s 1,004 national historic sites
https://ingeniumcanada.org/channel/articles/as-the-world-err-as-the-wheel-turns-or-how-why-ss-klondike-a-cargo-carrying-1