This past summer we took a trip to the Yukon to raft down the Tatshenshini River to coastal Alaska. While in Whitehorse I boarded the SS Klondike paddle steamer which is a Parks Canada national historic site. Here are a few photos. Unfortunately the upper decks were closed to visitors; maintenance is ongoing.

P8140331.thumb.JPG.b79c9796afdec961d7642de102a30170.JPG

P7310024.thumb.JPG.3539a8ce884e0ac6ae54b63cb9850275.JPG

P7310022.thumb.JPG.973351feb98a4e70dcd1a35b9318b0d8.JPG

P7310017.thumb.JPG.2d19bc5b0fe87497624cf3f158bf78c0.JPG

P7310016.thumb.JPG.6ea59bc1d563b61826cbfc9108b97cf5.JPG

P7310015.thumb.JPG.6715cc2908b1fa350f3d306b56370d5a.JPG

P7310029.thumb.JPG.9aa6299a6167c62a86a471e6b31dc77c.JPG

P7310019.thumb.JPG.155623d34077cd44edc16c49f7dfc96e.JPG

Edited by Ian_Grant

Ian: I live in Whitehorse (been here for over 30 years) and if you ever need pictures or plans (I know staff at Parks Canada) let me know. There is also a great book called Klondike Gold Rush Steamers  -a history of Yukon  river steam navigation by Robert Turner that is full of pics of the paddle wheeler. There is also a model of the klondike in one of the local hotels as well that is a good model of her. I prefer the SS Whitehorse.. she had nice lines but she was lost in the 1970s to a fire along with the Kaska. There are also 2 graveyards along the Yukon River of old paddlewheelers.. one in North Dawson and one in Hootalinqua. 

It will be great to see someone on MSW build a model... they are beautiful ships.. a lot of people didnt know they burned firewood while working on the rivers.. no coal in our neck of the woods! 

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

A few more pics, including  better shot of the double-acting engine, for John's interest. They were busy "restoring" a barge of the type she was designed to tow. Actually the only original part is her red bottom, all else is obviously new timber.

P7310028.thumb.JPG.d818c668039f9a33ca68df5667e96bd3.JPG

P7310020.thumb.JPG.0e480b8ec36c1fe23e6c97a02b81d8a4.JPG

P7310023.thumb.JPG.eb2f7eb7b213200726bc3ef25e38c4ea.JPG

P7310018.thumb.JPG.78b4a197cc8b39efc6b3c7e55d5bd759.JPG

P7310027.thumb.JPG.1d0f980b4d0c68ac0ea78fb65b73b101.JPG

P7310025.thumb.JPG.4f93d584e5b0ed3facda5338e17f8caf.JPG

P7310026.thumb.JPG.201ac34c7ad1667ed8c43637cfd88120.JPG

Edited by Ian_Grant

16 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

Actually the only original part is her red bottom, all else is obviously new timber.

Reminds me of the tale I heard once:

"George Washington's hatchet that he used on the legendary Cherry tree.  All original except that the head was replaced once, and the handle 3 times."

Richard

Great pictures of an interesting vessel.

The engine appears to be a compound version of a Western Rivers steamboat engine.  Western Rivers defined as the Ohio, Mississippi, Missouri watershed.  Most of these engines were single expansion; steam from the boiler was expanded in the cylinder and exhausted to the atmosphere.  The heat energy in the steam at atmospheric pressure was therefore lost.  This engine has a second larger cylinder arranged in tandem with the high pressure (HP)cylinder.  After being expanded in the HP cylinder the steam was piped into the second cylinder where it expanded further.  By expanding the steam sequentially in two separate cylinders they, the cylinders, remained at a more constant temperature.

It is also likely that the pipe in the foreground from the LP cylinder going through the deck leads to a condenser below.  This used river water to condense the steam, recovering the heat energy remaining in the steam from 212F to the temperature of the river water.

Roger

• 1 month later...

Our local RC model boat club had their annual auction for the December meeting. It was unbelievable - Spektrum transmitters going for $2, fast electric boats c/w water-cooled brushless motors going for $5........ one chap arrived with sheafs of boat plans, including for the Klondike! I bought that plan. It is a very nicely drawn glossy sheet with her LOA at about 3ft, depicting a detailed side elevation, and hull lines. Unfortunately there is no athwartships view so one can not tell how wide the wheelhouse, say, is compared to the lower hull. Nor are there any details of the paddlewheel etc. But we do have photographs.

Drawing is published by Parks Canada and dates from 2001. Maybe PC has another drawing with front view??

PC150343.thumb.JPG.5e137d5c1af23aaa3d43bf3a82f3513e.JPG

Edited by Ian_Grant

Addendum:  I've just emailed the Parks Canada SS Klondike historic site to ask after any other drawings they may have, which may have been judged not sales-worthy enough to  print up for the general public. Fingers crossed!

It seems the site may be temporarily closed at the minute. Don't know about the email address.

Hi Ian.

thats an interesting engine I have`nt seen before, it looks like a giant double action reciprocating plunger pump, only other way round....

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

3 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

Addendum:  I've just emailed the Parks Canada SS Klondike historic site to ask after any other drawings they may have, which may have been judged not sales-worthy enough to  print up for the general public. Fingers crossed!

It seems the site may be temporarily closed at the minute. Don't know about the email address.

Ian: What do you need? The Parks Canada office is one floor below my office in Whitehorse. I can easily knock on their door.

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

2 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

Mike, that would be incredible!

All I am looking for is any other Klondike drawings they may have; front/rear elevation, midships cross section; deck details, anything really which would help build an accurate model.

Thank you very much for taking an interest!

Regards,

Ian

i will talk to them on Monday.. I suspect I will get a contact person that get you that material directly from. If they prefer to give it to me we can talk about getting the material into a envelope to you. I assume you want to have the original plans as I remember they had a set of plans for modelers that were modified from original plans

If you need details on any aspect of the ship let me know... I can also go down to the SS Klondike and take pics as well. its a 2 block walk from my office.

Also.. I would recommend a book to get the link on amazon is The Klondike Gold Rush Steamers: A History of Yukon River Steam Navigation: Turner, Robert D.: 9781550178876: Books - Amazon.ca

And there was a good model of the Klondike in one of the hotels in town. I can check to see if its still there..

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

update.. I forgot to go to the Parks Canada office on Monday but was down there today and there office is all locked up, I left a voice mail with them on the posted number  (867-667-3910) and I will go down on Wed and check again as well as give them another call if I dont get a return call.. I may got down there too late for today.

I will keep everyone posted. 

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Tried again yesterday to visit the Parks Canada office and they were closed. I think they have the quick jump on the holidays. I will keep a eye out on the office and when they are open I will let everyone know what I find...

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone: Tried yesterday at the office.. the door was locked and gave Parks Canada a call today as well and left another voice mail.. I will keep trying. Its easier for me to keep bugging them

Mike Draper

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Just noticed the activity in this thread....I did receive an email acknowledgement from Terry Karlsen at Parks Canada, who was forwarded my message by his colleague Richard Zaidan. This was the 19th December; he requested some more details as to what I was after. I replied but have not heard back....Christmas and all that.....

I was going to wait another week or two then ping him again.

31 minutes ago, Ian_Grant said:

Just noticed the activity in this thread....I did receive an email acknowledgement from Terry Karlsen at Parks Canada, who was forwarded my message by his colleague Richard Zaidan. This was the 19th December; he requested some more details as to what I was after. I replied but have not heard back....Christmas and all that.....

I was going to wait another week or two then ping him again.

Ian: Just got off the phone with Richard Zaidan from Parks Canada (867) 334-6837. He is going to send me some pics and drawings of the Klondike's stern and bow as well as any deck drawings they have. I can forward them to anyone who is interested.

If you have any specific questions he said feel free phone him. I will have his email address once he sends me the pics/drawing that he promised (in the next day or 2) . He also mentioned that they are doing a total restoration this summer on the Klondike so if anyone has any specific questions regarding any details of the ship, they could get some pictures your way (im going to see if I can get onboard as a volunteer to help! 🙂 ) 

So.. this is a good start to 2024! 

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon 

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

37 minutes ago, Kusawa2000 said:

Ian: Just got Richards Zaiden's email and he is at  richard.zaidan@pc.gc.ca

Hope that helps! 

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike, thank you very much;  deck drawings would be highly useful in showing cabin widths etc.

I have been in touch with Richard and also Terry Karlsen. Waiting to see what Terry might forward to me.

Met up with Richard Zaiden of Parks Canada today and was able to get some diagrams of the SS Klondike on a thumb drive. I will post those pics below. His phone number is 867-334-6837 (email Richard Zaidan richard.zaidan@pc.gc.ca). He made sure to mention that if anyone needs more detailed pics or diagrams of a certain section of the Klondike that email him and he will see what he can find on file. Apparently they have quite a few pictures and diagrams on file of all parts of the Klondike. Here are the pics he passed along to me. 

Open these files  in a new window A-0A-01.TIF MAIN or CARGO DECK .pdf Paddlewheel assembly.pdf

Dwg Proposed Steamer for WPYR.pdfDwg Proposed Steamer for WPYR.pdf

klondike.jpg

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

• 3 weeks later...

Mike, .... -38C !!!!!!

It just occurred to me to check back here since I hadn't had any notifications....turns out I had forgotten to "follow" my own thread.

Wow those drawings are highly detailed!!  Right down to hole locations in decks for cabin sink drains, and size/measured location for the china cabinet ... 🙃

There doesn't seem to be a drawing of the china cabinet itself, though. 😏

An incredible resource for potential Klondike modellers.

Thank you so much for obtaining all these drawing sheets!  I will email Richard and Terry to thank them too.

Wonder who will be the first to start a build? My money is on John Ruy ....

Edited by Ian_Grant

3 hours ago, Ian_Grant said:

Wonder who will be the first to start a build? My money is on John Ruy ....

Thanks Ian for the heads up, I wasn’t following the thread either. 😆 Many thank to Mike for bringing these plans to MSW. 

The challenge is on, we will have to check back in her when one of us starts the build. 

Remembering to follow this time. 👍

John

Edited by John Ruy

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

I got to see the SS Klondike  back in 1978. I flew to Inuvik from Edmonton, then after a day there I took a bush plane to  Eagle Plains to paint a motel there. We got caught up with the drywallers so they sent my boss  and I to White Horse to get supplies.  

So we took a 1/2 ton truck down the Demster HWY  to White Horse, they  put four spare tires in the back of the truck and said good luck hope you make it lol. We had 3 flats on the way there and two on the way  back, I was told it was because of the permafrost  the road was build and it cracks along the road not across it .

Well in White Horse we walk around the SS Klondike  What a trip I still rember it clearly  well most of it lol but I do rember the river boat lol 😆 😜 

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

If you rent a car in Whitehorse now and propose to take it on the Dempster Highway, there is an extra charge. Presumably the highway is much better now than in 1978 but they say you **will** have a stone hit your windshield. In fact, when we did the pre-rental walk-around I pointed out a crack in the windshield; the guy just shrugged and said every car here has a cracked windshield LOL.

Our neighbour drove across the country to the Yukon last summer, went along the Dempster, and sure enough a stone came from nowhere and cracked his Tacoma's windshield.