Fishing Dories

Go to solution Solved by John Ruy,

The plans show the drawing of the fishing Dories which will go on the Bluenose I am building scale is 3/16" -1'-0" or 1/64 scale.

This is the drawing they provide, and it says 15'-0 Dory  shown. other sizes could be used 🤔

cfJ2cT.jpg

So put my scale ruler on it and it reads just over 19'-0" so I am wondering where 15'-0" comes from?

GpKDJI.jpg

Do have LB Jensons book and in it, it has a nice drawing of the Dories with a scale by the side, so I printed to the scale matching 3/16"-1'-0" 

FP1eb2.jpg

This comes out at at 16'-9" 

Up5OrE.jpg

I found a drawing which had profile which had some dimension, which I don't know if they are correct so again scaled it to size 3/16"-1'-0"

tpvgLX.jpg0xRVok.jpg

So now need to know which one is correct??

dQ3d6J.jpg

Last picture with the Dory parts from the Model

6hah2c.jpg

Regards

Richard

Found the following that you may find interesting.  https://catalogs.marinersmuseum.org/object/CL408

There are a lot of contemporary based drawings from 15'6" to nearly 20' that popped up with a quick search if you are looking for more info on Lunenburg two man dories like those used on Bluenose.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• Solution

Could the issue be as simple as measuring the bottom of the Dory rather than the rail stem to stern?

IMG_3351.thumb.jpeg.e153b0486074a2f57549c94c49a14086.jpeg

Measuring the bottom at 2.75 inches and dividing that by .1875 (3/16” = 1’) I get 14.66666 Feet as the length of the Dory as drawn. 

Just a thought…

Edited by John Ruy

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

Thanks for the replies Alan, John and Harvey, did'nt think to measure the bottom.

LB Jensons bottom comes out at 13'-1" and Model shipways drawing comes out as per John, put a 1/64 scale man standing on bottom and it does look to scale.

n4bCO2.jpg

8KXz8F.jpg

K8DY6s.jpg

V0XRKD.jpgv8rkK6.jpg

Thanks a lot for the replies.

Regards

Richard

I gather that is how 'shipbuilders' measure the length - between 'perpendiculars' ...

Otherwise, one could contact the Lunenburg museum guys. I remember from my visit in 2007 that they were building dories in the workshop there.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

These dories were mass produced by specialized boatbuilders and furnished as “outfit” to owners of the fishing Schooners.  This would have allowed use of stock moulds, patterns, etc.  Two highly regarded maritime historians; Howard Chapelle, and John Gardner have published information on dories.  Both explain that they were available in standardized sizes from 12 to 16 ft in 1 ft increments.  Length was that of the bottom of the boat.  The length of the dory carried depended on whether one or two men fished in the boat.

Roger

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2024 at 11:13 AM, wefalck said:

I gather that is how 'shipbuilders' measure the length - between 'perpendiculars' ...

Otherwise, one could contact the Lunenburg museum guys. I remember from my visit in 2007 that they were building dories in the workshop there.

I did contact Lunenburg fisheries museum and bought a drawing of the 14'-0" bottom dory for $5.00 CDN :D , it has all the dimensions I need, did ask them if they made a 15'-0" do they add the 12" equally between the five stations, and they say that is correct.

5p4G2V.jpgThBQIL.jpg

Progress on making

OHecuQ.jpg

Regards

Richard