Sikorsky JRS-1 by Landlubber Mike - Eduard - 1/72

Posted (edited)

Hi Mike

I have the same book along with the CME interior. I also have some extra PE but I am not certain if it is the full set like you have.

One of the reasons I never started mine, (other than my normal procrastranation) was all of the online builds I saw, said that  the fit, ecpecially around the cockpit was shabby at best and required considerable rework. I hope you are able to overcome this on your build. It would be a shame to loose out on your already fine work up to now. This may be a case where there are same number of kits finished as there are real aircraft preserved, (Or partly restored) two that I know of. I did run ac5ross this today though:

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hey Lou, the kit comes with some PE, but Eduard also separately sells (or at least used to sell) this PE set which adds PE seats, engine wiring, handles, and the details around the wheel wells.  If you can find it, I think it's worth considering:

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/jrs-1-upgrade-set-1-72.html?cur=2&listtype=search&searchparam=jrs-1

The cockpit area is definitely problematic.  I added some plastic shims and it seems like the fit shouldn't be too bad.  Other people seem to have had a devil of a time trying to fill the gaps though.  It's just a little tiring spending hours to get pieces to fit right.  It's also looking at pictures of the real thing and realizing that certain details are either missing or incorrect that just add to the list of things to do.  And then there are lack of connection points which means you have to either add them or be very careful to not later break pieces off.

You should definitely build it though, the subject is really historically important and there are plenty of schemes to choose from.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Posted (edited)

Hi Mike

I have been tempted to start several of my stash of seaplanes several times. One issue is where to put them when I am done? Not so bad with the JRS-1 or my 1/144 Martin and Boeing 314, but the 1/72 Boeing 314, the Martin Seamaster, and Martin Mariner, and Sunderland are another matter! Even the Gruman Albatross and Catalina are pretty big in that scale. You are building the Walrus but That is one seaplane I don't have. But who knows what I will latch onto in a weak moment. I need another model sitting around here like I need another hole in my head.

What I really need is to find good homes for some I already have!

Whatching you CLOSELEY! :)  

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

16 hours ago, lmagna said:

Hi Mike

I have been tempted to start several of my stash of seaplanes several times. One issue is where to put them when I am done? Not so bad with the JRS-1 or my 1/144 Martin and Boeing 314, but the 1/72 Boeing 314, the Martin Seamaster, and Martin Mariner, and Sunderland are another matter! Even the Gruman Albatross and Catalina are pretty big in that scale. You are building the Walrus but That is one seaplane I don't have. But who knows what I will latch onto in a weak moment. I need another model sitting around here like I need another hole in my head.

What I really need is to find good homes for some I already have!

Whatching you CLOSELEY! :)  

I blame you for getting me into seaplanes 😝  

The JRS-1 at 1/72 is a pretty big model with the wingspan as you know.  I also have a 1/48 PBY-5a kit that I was thinking of starting soon - mostly to free up shelf space as it is a big box, but then the question is where do I put it as that’s a big one for sure.  

If you want a really big seaplane, Revell I think is  reissuing the Bv 222.  The model is really nice and doesn’t really require any aftermarket.  I’ve got that one but again, will need quite a bit of space for it.

One thing I was thinking was to do a cutaway on a 1/72 Emily since there is a lot of aftermarket that could make the interior look pretty impressive.  One side would have full exterior and wing with mechanics, etc. and other side would be open with pilots and gunners, with only a portion of the wing attached.  That would cut down on the overall size. 

Just need to find time!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I just stumbled on to this; an interesting project that I’m looking forward to seeing nicely done.

The US Navy had some specialized and interesting small boats outfitted to service their fleet of flying boats while still in the water.  If you look in their 1955/1954? Boat Book you will find drawings of these craft.  One could make a great companion to your model. A copy of their Boat Can be found on the Navy’s history site.  Or Google Navy Aircraft Refueling Boat

Roger

12 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

I blame you for getting me into seaplanes 😝

AH HA I have accomplished my evil influence!

The BV-222 would certainly be a large model and the Emily would be a challenge even though you say that much of what you need is available.

I prefer to keep all of my flying boats in the same scale, as in that way you can compare them to each other. You can also add Seaplanes, (Float planes) if you wish but I have never had much interest in those aircraft except for a few civilian models, I always liked the Cessna 170.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

3 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

One could make a great companion to your model.

One possibility that I considered at one time was to take the Revell Pine Island and suspend a 1/72 scale flying boat over the ship below in a diorama. Or you could make it an emeny ship or sub instead. The difference in scale would provide a distance factor giving a "plane eye view" of the ship below.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

14 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

I just stumbled on to this; an interesting project that I’m looking forward to seeing nicely done.

The US Navy had some specialized and interesting small boats outfitted to service their fleet of flying boats while still in the water.  If you look in their 1955/1954? Boat Book you will find drawings of these craft.  One could make a great companion to your model. A copy of their Boat Can be found on the Navy’s history site.  Or Google Navy Aircraft Refueling Boat

Roger

Thanks Roger, I'll have to look into that.  Appreciate the suggestion!

Mike