HMS Beagle by Firs49 - OcCre - 1:60 - First Build

This is my first ever build but it is something I have wanted to try for years so thought I would jump in the deep end despite reading lots of horror stories of those who have started something too complex for their first build. Anyway I started after Christmas after looking at some of the other build logs and thought I would share progress as a complete newbie.

IMG_9183a.jpg

IMG_9184.JPG

Looks great. I chose the HMS Beagle for my first build. Started last December.

I am at the point I just attached the rudder. Directions leave a lot to figure out yourself. Have found a couple videos on the build that have really helped. People on here are great to help also. Good luck and keep us posted.

I know the doors in the kit have been causing some negative views so I had a go at trying to build alternatives. Could I get views on which of the two options I tried would look better on the build. Thanks.

doors.jpg

1 hour ago, Firs49 said:

I know the doors in the kit have been causing some negative views so I had a go at trying to build alternatives. Could I get views on which of the two options I tried would look better on the build. Thanks.

doors.jpg

Those look great, I like the simplicity of the right one personally.  I just took my doors off the model again this morning as I am not happy with them, I might have to steal your door idea. 

Current Build

HMS Beagle HMS Beagle

15 hours ago, brunnels said:

Those look great, I like the simplicity of the right one personally.  I just took my doors off the model again this morning as I am not happy with them, I might have to steal your door idea. 

Thanks for the feedback. That is the way I am going to go with one addition and that is thinning the doorframe down with a scalpel. If it helps I glued a 1/32" thick piece of basswood to the photoetch door - to get the same size and also gives a bit of thickness to glue the frame to. I used the sapelli stain on this basswood and the two inserts on the door were from planking lefts overs with edges sanded. The door knob was from a pin in the kit which was snipped and glued and the frame came from the small square pieces in the kit that are meant for something else later in the build which I hopefully won't run short of now.

On 2/13/2024 at 8:37 PM, JFMJr said:

Quit messing with the doors! Just kidding. (They do look good) Waiting to see your planking method.... lol Rookie here, now working on the Bow for the HMS Beagle.

Anything to delay planking which I must admit I am dreading.

1 hour ago, Firs49 said:

The wood split leaving me with a bit of a repair job to do.

Did you pre-soak the bulwarks? Best thing to do is to soak the plywood until it can easily be bent, then temporarily pin the piece to the hull (no glue) and allow it to dry. The shaped piece is then much easier to glue in place.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Salmson 2, Speeljacht

1 hour ago, ccoyle said:

Did you pre-soak the bulwarks? Best thing to do is to soak the plywood until it can easily be bent, then temporarily pin the piece to the hull (no glue) and allow it to dry. The shaped piece is then much easier to glue in place.

Hi Chris. I did soak it but I don't think it was for long enough. Lessons you learn along the way!!

I did the same thing on my Beagle.  Definitely a weak spot were the bulwark narrows.  Should be fixable, but if you want to wait a few weeks, Occre is happy to send a replacement part.  They are mailed from Spain, so depending were you live it can take a few weeks.  You can order the part on their website, but I would suggest fixing and not waiting.  

Completed Build:   HMS Beagle - Occre

Current Build:         Frigate Diana - Occre  https://modelshipworld.com/topic/33530-frigate-diana-by-rossr-occre-185/

On the Shelf:           Santisima Trinidad Cross Section - Occre, NRG Half Hull, the US Brig Syren - Model Shipways and USF Essex - Model Shipways.

37 minutes ago, RossR said:

I did the same thing on my Beagle.  Definitely a weak spot were the bulwark narrows.  Should be fixable, but if you want to wait a few weeks, Occre is happy to send a replacement part.  They are mailed from Spain, so depending were you live it can take a few weeks.  You can order the part on their website, but I would suggest fixing and not waiting.  

Yep gone for the fix

1 hour ago, Firs49 said:

Repair job

Nice fix, there are a few laser cut plywood pieces they want you to bend on the Beagle and all of them make me nervous.  Luckily planking isn't as high stakes as if you snap a plank you can just grab another, which isn't the case with laser cut plywood parts. 

Current Build

HMS Beagle HMS Beagle

• 2 weeks later...

Just trying to fix first planking to stern and having some issues with the glue. Have tried super glue but does not seem to want to grip the wood to wood bond. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks

6 hours ago, Firs49 said:

Just trying to fix first planking to stern and having some issues with the glue. Have tried super glue but does not seem to want to grip the wood to wood bond. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks

I don't think CA Glue will hold the bent wood on the first planking.  You are going to want use PVA glue and either nail it down or clamp it down.  I personally used Titebond PVA glue and the nails that were included in the kit and it worked great.  

Current Build

HMS Beagle HMS Beagle

I'd had some luck on geometry like that by 'nearly' boiling (starting to bubble) some water, then (off the stove) soaking the end into the hot water (not too long) and carefully pre-bending / forming around a similar curve ... even using my teeth a little (one can 'feel' when the wood wants to crack before it breaks, but the pressure can be quickly modulated in response).   A couple of go's might do it, and the wood is mostly dried before gluing.  With water-based glues, the wood does not have to be completely 'bone dry', and the glue will work all the same.   Whatever works ...

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65

I found a little hobby saw blade attachment for my razor blade made tasks like cutting the cannon ports way easier.  They will need to be cut open a couple more times during the planking.

This is what I use. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SQQHD9M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Current Build

HMS Beagle HMS Beagle

36 minutes ago, brunnels said:

I found a little hobby saw blade attachment for my razor blade made tasks like cutting the cannon ports way easier.  They will need to be cut open a couple more times during the planking.

This is what I use. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SQQHD9M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the hint. I have got something similar but found it a bit harsh on the narrow strips. Hopefully it will better on the planking strips.

Nice work, coming along nicely.  I have only been modeling for just about three years, I found the articles about planking in the MSW data base great. They really helped me. Although I still have not got the hang of it I almost understand  lol.

Keep up the great work you'll have a model to be proud  of.  :cheers:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

• 2 weeks later...

So planking around the bulwarks is nearly complete now so I am reaching out for advice. I have studied various approaches to planking the hull which are quite varied so I could do with some pointers on would be the best approach for someone who has never planked a hull before. I know the first planking layer is not so critical but I would like it to act as a guide for the second layer. Any comments welcomed. Thanks