Is this what I'm supposed to plank with?

So my cutty sark model kit came with a lot of wood. There's the deck planking, and then there's some really thin walnut but not enough of it to plank the whole hull. However, there are four HUGE bundles of really thick walnut strips like 1/4 by 1/8. Am I supposed to plank with ONE EIGHTH thick timbers?? I don't understand. I usually use 1/32!! Maybe it's not one eight, its whatever the very next size is right after 1/16

Spencer,

why don't you list the manufacturer and the model number. Others may be working on that specific kit and would be able to answer.

Richard T.

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

typically, I believe, AL uses the super thinnest wood for planking the deck....hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

AL typically includes a parts list by number.  Look on the plans/instructions for the planking and see if it references.  The size might also be in the instructions.  AL is somewhat inconsistent about parts lists as well as what's in the instructions and plans.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think it might be because they expect us to do a bad job planking and want enough material that we can sand it smooth ;) I really don't know why - but that's typical with the AL kits

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Sarah

Current Build:

Krabbenkutter CUX-87

Harriet Lane

Fishcutter GO-38

In the Wings:

Corel Victory Cross section

Completed Build:

USS Missouri minimissouri.jpgHMS Bounty's Jolly Boat thumbnail.jpg Peterboro Canoe tiny.jpg

could it be this thick because it‘s single planked? i have an AL Hermione frigate in my stash and if i remember correctly, her planks are 2mm thick. i think you could use this to your advantage as there will be more room for sanding.

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

not really... some soaking in hot water or using a plank nipper is usually sufficient to bend these thick planks. the only problem i see with these kit provided planks, whatever their thickness, is that they are too narrow, making it difficult to properly spile them, but that‘s another story.

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo