HMS Blackpool by NavyShooter - 1/144-ish - 3D print

STL file HMS Blackpool 🛥️ ・3D printer model to download・Cults (cults3d.com)

Ahoy gents,

I came across the above 3D print file over the weekend as I was puttering away and decided that it was worth the 5 Euros to download and print it.

Appears to be 1/144 scale - ish.  

I'm thinking of using this as a 3D model for the 3D printing 'course' that I'm going to try and run.  This uses about 650g of filament, and takes about 5 days of printing.

The Liberty Ship from Thingiverse, printed at original scale (1/160 or N Scale) takes longer, and about double the amount of filament. 

So.

I'm going to end up doing one of each to see how they work out.

Starting with this one. 

The first modules of the hull are on the printer right now.  Pictures will follow this evening!

NS

Brad/NavyShooter

Build Log: HMS Blackpool - 1/144 3D Print RC

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

First modules complete - here's how they look!

Next set of modules will be done tomorrow after work!

Blackpool 2.jpg

Blackpool 1.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

I referenced the builder's short build video that he has linked on both Cults and Youtube, and managed to order the same prop shaft, rudder, and some other bits online.  They'll probably take a month to get here (UK source, not Amazon) so we'll see what that looks like.  I'll probably have the hull/etc done by the weekend as this is only a small model. 

The 'fiddly bits' cost about 50 Pds Brit - 85-ish or so. 

NS

Brad/NavyShooter

OK!  2 more modules printed and complete - here we see the size of things - overall it's at 21 inches right now, 2 modules left to print so she'll be just over 30" complete.  A decent size!

Blackpool 3.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

Hull is printed!  

I glued together some of the modules last evening, did a bit of filling and sanding - and this morning I pulled the last two modules off the printer and set them alongside to see how things look. 

Overall, the model is right on about 32 inches, which is a handy size for transport.  

The superstructure is on the printer now, should be done tonight.  

I'm pondering making this a 4 channel RC - 

- Throttle

- Rudder

- Gun rotation

- Radar Rotation/Lighting

I think this one's too small to add a speaker system/audio channel.

NS

Blackpool 4.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

Printing seems to be a quick process these days. I last had a look at printing 7 or 8 years ago when most people seemed to have to try, try and try again before the printer produced something usable. I assume printing is a much more user friendly process these days?

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

6 hours ago, KeithAug said:

Printing seems to be a quick process these days. I last had a look at printing 7 or 8 years ago when most people seemed to have to try, try and try again before the printer produced something usable. I assume printing is a much more user friendly process these days?

Yes!  It's actually fairly straight-forward.   I will suggest buying a good quality printer though - I have had several "poor to OK" printers, but have replaced those with a GOOD one (Prusa MK3S+) and it's got almost 400 days (9600 hours) of printing time on it, and still produces a good finish.

Understanding the relationship between design - slicing - printer capability is a key thing to remember or learn. 

Trying to print a gun-shield that's too thin will result in poor results.

Design is a compromise between printer capability and resolution. 

Brad/NavyShooter

No pictures of progress today....the superstructure didn't print well yesterday and requires a re-do.

As I was considering that, I got an email that the designer has released updated files for this design, so I pulled those last night to have a look at it - additional detail bits, splitting the superstructure apart to make it easier to print (yah!) and some other bits.  

So, I started another print last evening and awoke this morning to find that the print failed and I've got a puddle of filament wrapped around my print-head.  Instead of dealing with that, I went to work.  That's a tonight problem. 

*shrug*

Life. 

Brad/NavyShooter

3 hours ago, NavyShooter said:

awoke this morning to find that the print failed and I've got a puddle of filament wrapped around my print-head.

That sounds a bit annoying. Maybe I'll stick to the traditional method for a bit longer.

Keith

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

20 hours ago, KeithAug said:

That sounds a bit annoying. Maybe I'll stick to the traditional method for a bit longer.

It's honestly not that bad a problem - it took me about 10 minutes to clear out and clean up.  I turned the print head back on, that melted it 'loose' and I got the big chunk off, then I had to take off the fans (6 bolts) and one assembly panel (2 bolts) to scrape off a bit of melted plastic, then re-assemble (put the 8 bolts back in) and she was good to go. 

Here's the 'goop' pile. 

Blackpool 5 - puddle of goop.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

With that problem rectified, I was able to go back to printing, and I got an 8 hour print done last night with a bunch of the 'detail bits'.

Life rafts, anchor, gun barrels, ASW Mortars, torpedo tubes, etc. 

With that done, I was able to re-start the superstructure print (using the new files) and we're off to the races again.  That file will be done when I get home from work today, and then I think I have 2 prints left - I should be done by Saturday evening and able to start assembly and painting properly. 

Note - I expect I'll have a few bits extra to print (more life rafts, another anchor that I somehow forgot to print 2 of, etc) but substantially this print will be complete this weekend and I'll get to assembly and painting.

My goal is to have this model finished prior to our next Guild sailing day in August. 

Blackpool 6 Detail Bits Printed.jpg

Blackpool 7 - Detail Bits cleaned up.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

Hull has been glued together, sanded, and a layer of bondo putty has been applied to dry overnight.  I'll do another sanding in the morning to tidy her up, and put on a layer of Fiberglass Resin to seal the hull up.

This is going fairly quickly!

The re-printed superstructure looks good.  

I also dropped by the LHS and picked up a new 4 channel receiver - added it to a couple of 9g servos and an old ESC, and I've got a functional RC system put together now.  

- Rudder

- Throttle

- Gun rotation

I am pondering the 4th channel to see what I do with it.  Do I get a sound kit?  Or.  Do I rig it up with a switch for lights and a spinning Radar dish?

Hrm.

We'll see!

Blackpool 9.jpg

Blackpool 8.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

A bit of sanding...and we have a layer of gray primer applied now. 

I am thinking with this model that I may be able to eschew the fiberglass resin coating...we'll see. 

Blackpool 10.jpg

Blackpool 11.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

The grey looks a deal better than the lurid blue. Remarkable what a bit of paint will do.

I think I can even see the positions of the portholes or is that where the printing supports attached - or is it both?

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

They are port holes. 

🙂

Brad/NavyShooter

All the printing is now complete.  I've got 'intentions' to get the ship in the pond next weekend for testing.  Now, that said, I have only just ordered the prop shaft from the UK on Thursday...so...I decided to see if I could spin something up that might suit the role.  

Blackpool 12.jpg

Blackpool 13.jpg

Blackpool 14.jpg

Blackpool 15.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

Here's how she looks late on Saturday evening....

Blackpool 16.jpg

Blackpool 17.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

Greetings NavyShooter,

I am watching your build with interest and, if i may, a degree of caution.  I built a 1:96 model of the same class of frigate some years ago, in fibreglass with a variety of suitable materials for fitting out above the main deck.  She has two motors and shafts with scale 5-bladed props, a large battery pack and only three channels of r/c.  Overall weight is about 3.15kg.  I found that I had to take every measure possible to reduce the top-weight to get her into a stable condition and she is still a problem with rolling during the turns.  The fitting out of the foremast took particular attention with weight minimisation.

I look forward to seeing your tank test/maiden voyage next weekend.  Good Luck, Kuparu. 

Good day Navyshooter.

I thought the name ship sounded familiar, I've seen this version of her over the years.

You were wondering about lighting -

the town of Blackpool UK has a version of her on display each year for their illuminations.  It's a tram you can ride along the prom on.

HMS Blackpool Illuminations

Blackpool Illuminated Heritage Tram, HMS Blackpool Frigate

🤣🤣

Bob

Current build Cutty Sark, Mini Mamoli

Finished  King of the Mississippi                     

No trees were harmed by this message, but an awful lot of electrons were put out.

10 hours ago, Kuparu said:

Greetings NavyShooter,

I am watching your build with interest and, if i may, a degree of caution.  I built a 1:96 model of the same class of frigate some years ago, in fibreglass with a variety of suitable materials for fitting out above the main deck.  She has two motors and shafts with scale 5-bladed props, a large battery pack and only three channels of r/c.  Overall weight is about 3.15kg.  I found that I had to take every measure possible to reduce the top-weight to get her into a stable condition and she is still a problem with rolling during the turns.  The fitting out of the foremast took particular attention with weight minimisation.

I look forward to seeing your tank test/maiden voyage next weekend.  Good Luck, Kuparu. 

I will do my level best to keep upper deck weight low!  I've picked up a small battery pack to keep that weight down, and I'm using 9g servos as well.  Overall printed weight is quite low.  We'll see how things turn out!

My plan for the mast will be 3D printing as well - I'm hopeful that will keep the weight down there as well!

Brad/NavyShooter

Of note - I am not just using 3D parts.  I spun up my lathe to work on the rudder post this afternoon. 

Blackpool 18.jpg

Blackpool 19.jpg

Blackpool 20.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

OK, I'm going to call that done.  

Blackpool 21.jpg

Blackpool 22.jpg

Blackpool 23.jpg

Blackpool 24.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

I thought Whitby class frigates had twin shafts. I guess it's simpler to give her a single shaft. Presumably the printer programme was already adapted for the building of a single shaft model?

Keith

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

Correct!  The print file was setup for a single shaft.

Today I built up a 3D printed mast based on the smaller one from my Bonnie model.  I added a Yardarm with some full dipole Antennas and used a Radar dish from a Gepard AA tank model.  Turned out OK methinks!

It is not 100% accurate based on images, but it's close enough for this project.

NS

Blackpool 25.jpg

Blackpool 26.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

Gave the hull a shot of red spray yesterday morning, sanded last night, and re-shot it with red this morning before I headed out to work.  

I'll try marking the WL and masking tonight when I get home and apply the gray to the uppers- we'll see how that looks!|

NS

Brad/NavyShooter

And....here we have some dark gray applied for paint.  I know it's not quite right for colour, but, it was what I had onhand, and it's a different gray than what I put on my RCN ships.  

I did some basic rigging on the superstructure as well. 

Generally pleased with how she looks.

Blackpool 27.jpg

Blackpool 28.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

Got home late last night after doing some enjoyable things on a range with the Army folks I work part-time with, and ended up doing a few minutes of light (220 grit) sanding on the hull, and a light overspray of the dark gray paint again.  I think tonight I'll end up putting tape on and spraying on the boot topping, then tomorrow I'll start putting on the last details and getting her assembled and ready for the pond on Saturday. 

Brad/NavyShooter

Boot topping added - looks alright!

Assembled the RC side of the house - I needed a servo-arm pin/swivel thing and grabbed that at the LHS on the way home from work.  Got the rudder setup and functional first.  It seems to track OK.

Then I decided to try and dial in the shaft line and install the motor - and....well...let me observe that the shaft line piece I had and used isn't perfectly straight it would seem...so while the motor is in, the shaft is too stiff in the stuffing tube to be spun freely.  It is VERY Sticky.

Good news is that I have a new shaft coming in the mail, and according to the Royal Mail tracking system, it's in Canada...we'll see if I get it tomorrow or not. 

Brad/NavyShooter

Pictures!

Blackpool 29.jpg

Blackpool 30.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

OK,

A temporary solution for the prop shaft is in place - the rudder works, prop will spin.  Ish.

I did a bit of detail painting tonight, added some foam for floatation, charged the batteries up, and I think we'll see how she looks on the pond in the morning.

Oh, added a couple sections of Anchor Chain on the foc'sle as well. 

Blackpool 31.jpg

Blackpool 32.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter