Euro Ship Kits - moved by moderator

pirozzi

To Vince and others who may build a Euromodel kit.

I have started on many of the Euromodel kits (as I have said before as a voluntary, non-financial and fun thing, run their Helpdesk from South Australia and so I have to keep darting from ship build to ship build to answer questions) but am currently working on the Friederich Wilhelm zu Pferde which is a German frigate. By the way, have a look at their web site under Customer assistance to see what I have written.

Here is a point to keep in mind when building any of their kits. Most kits are a two plank system - first plank and then a second plank. Euromodel kits are very detailed and the bulwarks above deck tend to be thicker than the first plank plus an inner and outer layer of second plank so on the Friedrich I used a double first planking followed by the inner and outer second planking. The resulting thickness gives a far better appearance, is sturdier (less inclined to warp) and much easier to work with. This is not to suggest that the thinner planking is unsuitable but just that if you go to a little extra trouble, the result can be so much better. That is the very essence of their kits - there is just so much of your own thing you can put into their builds.

To Vince in particular - you could easily follow this variation with the RW build.

To somebody else (could not find the posting), Euromodel do supply cloth for the sails with excellent drawings as well.

Pete

Good thread.

I really like the look of the Euromodel La Renomme'e but I have quite a bit on the go at the moment. I'm tempted to buy it fairly soon and put it on the 'pending shelf'. 

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

Good thread.

I really like the look of the Euromodel La Renomme'e but I have quite a bit on the go at the moment. I'm tempted to buy it fairly soon and put it on the 'pending shelf'. 

I have also been contemplating this particular kit as well and am glad to see all the positive comments on the Euromodel  brand.  Looks like I should have pulled the trigger a while back as the Canadian Dollar is starting to sag............frustrating!!!

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

I have been building the Royal William along with the La Renommee and posting my results on the Euromodel website. Vince P has started a build log for the Royal William and already his contributions have prompted some serious re-writing for my earlier comments on that ship. Fantastic to have somebody doing the same thing I have done and then be able to incorporate those ideas into my work.[ Entirely non-commercial if anyone asks, I just do it for fun] If we get a few more doing the same build, then we will finish up with a great document.

Ponto - I have done a fair amount on the LaRenommee, a beautiful French frigate and would love some support in this area.

Pete

Hi all,

I am waiting for my Ajax to arrive. It will be on the shelf while completing my current build.

I have already downloaded material from the Euromodel site which is pretty helpful.

I could use some help.

Does anyone know if there is a Keith Julier's book that focuses on the Ajax? Does anyone know of any other publications that talk about the Ajax specifically?

Is anyone else building or planning to start this build in the near future?

Thanks all,

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Thanks Brian,

I could not find anything on a site search so I sent them an email request.

Richard

Richard

I have the Ajax and would be very interested in any info.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

I have contacted a builder (Terrence) from Holland and he will be sending a critique of all the difficulties he experienced in his build of the Euromodel Ajax along with a mass of photos. If you wish to contact him, please send me a PM and he is happy for me to pass on his email address.

Pete

Pirate Pete

Thank you for your hard work 

I Have Falmouth sitting at home and hope to be able to start soon I was quite overwhelmed by the kit originally but have read many of your build logs and they have helped my resolve greatly

Thanks Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Floyd,

Am curious, How long do you think it will be before you start your Ajax.

I am working on the Syren and it is keeping me pretty busy. And I am not sure that, at this point in my learning, multitasking to another model would be a good idea.

I was thinking that depending on how focused I need to be for the rigging, I might start soon after I have the deck furniture completed. Given my progress, that it still a good few months off.

Richard

Richard

Richard - I am still deep into my Harvey. Which I estimate will take me the rest of this year. Then I too had planned to start my Syren for the learning experience. I expect that will take 2 yrs if I am lucky. Then it will be the Ajax. I expect I will need the experience from the Syren before I start the Ajax. That is at least the plan for now.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

Keith Julier did do the Ajax. I know I have a copy of it somewhere. If I can find it what's the best way of getting a copy to you?

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

is it s book or do you have it in electronic form?