Euro Ship Kits - moved by moderator

pirozzi

Is anyone familiar with Euro Kits? I am contemplating one of their high end kits for my next project and was wondering how they are. Are their kits high quality as far as plans, materials, and accuracy? I am familiar with most manufacturers such as Corel, Mamoli, Mantua etc., but don't know much about Euro.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Vince P.

Hello Vince,

I have never seen a euromodel kit in real, but from what I have seen in other european model Forums the plans and Quality of their kits are not bad.

A preview of their Royal William plans are displayed on the Website.

http://www.euromodel-ship.com/eng/royal-william-1.html#axzz2i8ee7IPE

Cheers,

Udo

Current builds:

Le Coureur 1776 - CAFmodel 1/48

VOC Retourship Batavia

Boston Typhoon steam trawler 1/32

Research/Side Projects/On Hold:

H.M. Bark Endeavour 

HMS Bounty 1787

I am building that kit. Its fabulous.  Go to the Euromodels web page and there are downloadable instructions for building her in seven parts.

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the help. Do you have a build log going? Also, does the kit come with sails, or can you purchase a set? I would like to rig her with sails like my SOS.

Vince P.

Hello Vince,

I have never seen a euromodel kit in real, but from what I have seen in other european model Forums the plans and Quality of their kits are not bad.

A preview of their Royal William plans are displayed on the Website.

http://www.euromodel-ship.com/eng/royal-william-1.html#axzz2i8ee7IPE

Hi Edward,

Thanks for the link. I will look it up.

Vince P.

Hi Vince

From what I have read,this kit is probably one of the finest kits for this type of vessel to come out of Italy.It is on my own list although I am still on the fence as to whether to buy the kit or just buy the excellent plans and do a scratchbuild.If you do choose to buy the kit,then I recommend Keith Julier's 'The period ship handbook' ISBN 1-85486-081-X.This book should be available through Amazon secondhand as I have a feeling it is out of print.I am aware you are an experienced modeler so please don't think I am teaching you suck eggs.Keith however does point out a few of the kits idiosyncracies,so not only do I think you may find it an interesting read,it would give you a 'heads up' as to what to look out for.

Kind Regards Nigel 

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the book reference. I have learned much of what I know by reading reference books and never turn down a new one that I don't have. I will give this one a look.

Vince P.

Some European kits are awful.  However, Euromodel has some really good kits. i have two and have complete satisfaction. The sails have to be provided by the buyer. Silkspan, a strong tissue like material, is more to scale and, in my opinion, a better use of making ship model sails.

My two cents.

Crackers        :):D

Thanks for the information. I am hearing much good feedback about Euromodels. I think I will make this my next project. I only have about 6 months left on my SOS. :)

Vince P.

• 1 month later...

I am very impressed already with Euromodels and I have not even bought one yet. I went on their website to download the excellent shop notes they have on the Royal William. There are 6 files of notes with extensive building instructions of every part of the build. I downloaded all of them except chapter 2 because the website would not let me do so.

I sent them an E-Mail to their customer help department asking if they could fix the problem with chapter 2. I was hoping for an answer sometime in the future if I was lucky. I have contacted other manufacturers in the past and very rarily got an answer at all. Euromodels answered me 1 hour after I sent the request and also fixed the website at the same time.

Now that is customer service! I am really looking forward to purchasing the Royal William soon after completing the SOS in about 6 months.

Vince P.

Glad your impressed Vince.As a matter of a fact I bought the Euromodel plan set for Royal William a couple of weeks back.Even though they are all italian(hence the need for the downloads) there are a few kit companies that could learn a thing or two from them.Very impressive,all seventeen sheets of them.If you wish to add any further detailing of your own,it is all there on the plans.They go far beyond what is included in the kit.If you are wondering why I just bought the plans,they are for a future scratchbuild to a larger scale.

Kind Regards Nigel

Currently working on Royal Caroline

As I recall, Peter was on MSW 1.0 and did some build log work on one of their models to get some feedback.  I wonder if he's here on MSW 2.0?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the book reference. I have learned much of what I know by reading reference books and never turn down a new one that I don't have. I will give this one a look.

Vince P.

Hi Nigel,

I received "The Period Ship Handbook #1" and it is excellent! The whole first half of the book is devoted in detail to building the Royal William. I bought it used on Amazon for only $16. And as an added bonus, It shows in detail how to rig brails on the mizen lateen sail, which I need to complete the SOS I am now working on.

Thanks Much. :dancetl6:

Vince P.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I've been pondering one of the EuroModel kits for some time (pricey though), it's nice to see positive commentary... and on a side note, I noticed Model Expo is now offering this line in addition to their other European offerings.

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Glad I found this thread !   I recently grabbed a Euromodels Ajax off ebay and the lack of English and instructions was a bit of a bummer. I'm not experienced enough to have tackled the kit.  Had checked out the Euromodels web site before but missed the help sections with the downloads. Great to have this available.

Current builds:  Caldercraft Cruiser, Mantua Astrolabe

Almost Finished: Mamoli Hunter

Completed:  AL Swift, Constructo Albatros

Hello Shipmates,

EUROMODEL HELP DESK - without going into the reasons behind why I am running this info desk from South Australia for Euromodel, let me assure all and sundry that the work is purely non-commercial, non-financial and I just do it for fun ! I am currently building all of their ships but how far I get depends on who asks me what !!! So specifically, I am flat-out on the Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde (a German frigate) at the moment and so far have published six parts - text and photos - on the Euromodel website under 'Customer Assistance'. Have a look at it since it contains many ideas applicable to all their ships. Free to download. Purely my own ideas on how to put this ship together but at least it is a guide but definitely not an instruction manual. I would not dare to presume to tell others how to build these ships as the detail in these plans is incredible. I also read somewhere in this thread a query about sails. Euromodel DOES include cloth and detailed drawings for sails. I am easy to contact through the Helpdesk on the Euromodel website so look forward to hearing from anybody.

My apologies for not posting on the MSW as I am too wrapped up in creating these manuals .... but I will try to mend my ways.

Piratepete007 (actually Peter)

Hi Pete, I have admired the models on the Euromodel website but to my knowledge there is no current build log on any of their kits. Given that you have a non-commercial relationship with Euromodel, and that you are just a very dedicated fan ... I suspect the moderators will not have a problem if you post your build logs? Of course I don't presume to speak for them, but I am sure that one of them will pipe up shortly. I think it would be a great resource for this site. 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Amfibius - and others. There are indeed seven build logs on the Euromodel website under 'Customer Assistance',  all in various states of build. I have labeled them as 'Interpretive Manuals' because I am building them as I see them being built. Where else can you find such detailed plans for a kit whose plans drag you from a standard kit build and into the realms of quasi scratch build (if you want to) ? Rather than assembling a straightforward kit, these products absolutely stretch the imagination in a delightful way ! So for a number of years I have been posting this material onto their website but how I can dissect this up into small pieces for a build log on the MSW site, I am not sure. Believe me that this done for the sheer pleasure of doing something !

Piratepete

I would just like to say you are doing a fantastic job Pete.I do agree as I have mentioned before,Euromodels plans surpass everything else I have seen.If I could ask you one question,it would be 'does the Euromodels plan of Mordaunt show the stern as in the kit,or is it more correct i.e.with lower balcony?'

For anyone interested couple of Royal William Build logs on here including a 1/50 scratchbuild.

http://www.koga.net.pl/forum.html

Kind Regards Nigel

Mark - New Year resolution is to shift over to the Royal William for a few months but my experience with building the Wilhelm zu Pferde has taught me so much that I fear I may have to make a better approach with the Royal William. Stay tuned..

Nigel - do you have the Mordaunt kit ? I had a look at the metal castings for the transom components and essentially what you see in the drawings is what you add to the build. The transom/ stern is simply covered by the metal parts and is one of the easiest of all the Euromodel builds. The Royal William transom is a gigantic jigsaw but the only mistake people make with that is that they assume the various metal components are the wrong shape. BIG mistake !! The Wilhelm zu Pferde I had to carve a rider on a horseback and so the list goes on. The Mordaunt transom is very easy. Have I answered your question ? Have attached a drawing for others to view.

Keith Julier's books - he wrote a build for the Royal William AND for the French frigate La Renommee, both of which are from Euromodel. His books are another excellent tool but like my own works, should only be considered as a guide and not prescriptive. To 'follow the leader' is to destroy the intent of the Euromodel philosophy.

Pete

post-593-0-03358200-1387407038.jpg

Thank you Pete for your prompt reply.I ask as I was toying on adding the plans to my inventory for scratchbuilding purposes.I already have the Royal William's plans for a scratchbuild for my next 'personal project'.These plans appear to extremely accurate historically.The Mordaunt would make a nice model to sell,however the kit version is historically incorrect with the stern design,I just wondered whether the plans reflected the original or the kit.Either way it is still feasable to alter the stern to match Van de Velde's work and the pictures I have of the Navy Board model.I will check my references because the above drawing goes way beyond the kit parts.

Kind Regards Nigel

I have the Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde kit.  The plans and materials are all top notch.  Even the cast metal parts, of which there are a ton, are all fantastic.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Mike - as you know, this is my current construction and more than any other Euromodel build, it has dragged me further into a quasi scratch build using some supplemental material which I did not have to use but could not help myself. An absolutely fascinating experience to extend past a straight kit build.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the Euromodel Royal William from "Ages of Sail", 5 days ago and it was delivered yesterday! That has got be a record, since it took 6 months to get the Sovereign of the Seas. Anyway, it looks like an impressive project and I am impressed with the quality of the parts and the plans. There was one broken part in the box and I E-mailed the Euro helpline. Once again, they replied in a half hour and this time all the way from Italy. They said they would be glad to replace it, but that the small piece broken off would not make a difference since it had to be trimmed anyway and was an internal part that would not be exposed. They gave me the choice. I told them I would work with it and if it did need replacing I would contact them back. I really am impressed with this company so far. :) Once I finish on my SOS, which should be in about 2 weeks, I will start another build log for this one.

Vince P.

Great stuff Vince,as a matter of a fact I have Mordaunt being delivered on Monday.Start as soon as  Royal Caroline is finished.The plans alone for Royal William weigh more than some smaller kits :D  :D

Kind Regards Nigel

PiratePete,

Are you the author of the build manuals on Euromodel's website?  If so, a big thank you!  I downloaded them yesterday, and was very impressed.  

Vince,

Congratulations!  If the Royal William is anything like the Friedrich Wilhelm, I'm sure you were very impressed with the materials and the plans of the kit.  I have a few kits now, and almost wish that I had stuck with Euromodel kits.  I'm excited to follow your build, if you decide to post a build log.  :)

Nigel,

Congratulations on the Mordaunt!  That looks like another fantastic kit.  Hope you post a build log :)

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)