HMS Victory by dragzz - Corel - scale 1/98

tys sailor lol i might have an update later today will see what happen 

ok in the pic u will see this pic the back of the keel not to sure if i should sand it down theres a big gap sand down in side of the slot of the bulkhead some help on this part be nice

post-2052-0-78118500-1387521916_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-56531700-1387521943_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-86118500-1387521958_thumb.jpg

Hi Dragzz,

I just had a look back through your log and  it looks to me that the slot the frame is sitting in, in the last bulkhead, will need to be sanded down to allow the frame to sit flush with  the top the bulkhead also, looking at your second photo,  the edge of the frame sitting against the bulkhead will need to be carefully sanded so that the tang fits into the slot in the keel to keep the line of the stern post true.

Hope this helps

Cheers :cheers:

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

AL Swift 1805; Colonial Sloop NorfolkHMS Victory Bow SectionHM Schooner Pickle

Hi,

to me it looks like it just needs to be tilted to fit, i mean, the slot and the part that goes into it are of the same width and it looks like they can fut into each other. If you can t tilt it then i think the problem might be the order in which you put togheter the parts. Just my humble opinion, from what can be seen in the pics, anyway shaving it off to fit won t cause major problems..

Tomas

I would have thought the keel should have been totally assembled before you got this far........but I can't see the plans from here ;)  I would probably free up that last bulkhead,  so it is movable to some degree....it can be cemented back in place after the part is installed.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

tys for the info jeff just going sand very light then at each time

tys popye but the bulkheads are all glued cant take a part at all  this is the way it is in the plans and in the book going to sand little at a time dry fit it each time  tys for all your info

will update real soon

here i just did a little sanding on the part in the pic u will what i mean just doing a little at a time this is where iam at  now

post-2052-0-19830800-1387610555_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-13879500-1387610570_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-15284400-1387610588_thumb.jpg

sailor was not that i was thinking to hard at it lol  in the part i was sanding i found a little warp in so for now i put in water for a bit then in the clamp for the night see how it looks then  look for update soon tys

yes jeff so do i or i got fight  on my hands lol it should be ok 

Ahoy Dragzz :D

I had a slight warp in my keel. I wetted one side "lightly" and then put it on a piece of wax paper on a glass surface, covered it with another piece of wax paper and then my building board and a 15 pound dumbbell. The next day it was fixed. I did not soak it because its ply and I wasn't sure if the glue used was waterproof.

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf

tys for the tip jpett

as u can see in the pic i got a new xmax gift i got to open one and o ya i was so happy anyways in the pic as u can i got the warp out and it fits just right and it levl as well

post-2052-0-39650900-1387769401_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-00168300-1387769412_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-96416900-1387769423_thumb.jpg

Hi Dragzz,

Nicely done, it looks like it turned out OK and everything is lined up well. Ilike the new keel holder , they are a very useful tool. :)

Hope you have a Merry Christmas

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

tys jeff it came out great now i can move on yes the keel holder is great i love it i can lots with it iam going to wear it out lol   going to take a bit of a break for  Christmas see u all in a bit 

from dragzz u all have a great  Merry Christmas

happy holidays to you as well....good sir!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

ok i got board  so in the pic u will i got the lower deck in place not glued still have to plank it just getting ready  so far so good let me know what u all think 

post-2052-0-57484700-1387869305_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-66978000-1387869316_thumb.jpg

those have to be some really deep slots,  to be a single piece part........usually,  it's split in two.   are you going to plank it after it's cemented in place?    it would be a good way to hide the slots.......by planking them over.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ahoy Dragzz :D

Looks good.

If and when you glue that deck I would have her in the wood stand and not the Amati. I use the Amati and it will not prevent the deck from adding a twist to your work.

I had some issues with the deck forming to the curve of the deck and the sweep of the hull. I ended up having to wet the deck after gluing to get it to relax. Please let me know if you find the same. I am considering redoing mine

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

hello popeye yes the deck will be planked it will cover the slots that u see in the pic 

hello jpett i will let u know what happen to it going to plank it soon will see what it looks like befor i glue it in place 

hello all jpett was right  iam going to redo the deck the wood used to plank  is not good most of mine is warped and does not look good at all going to order new wood thin stuff is not good going to use a bit thicker i think might go wallnut decks let me know what u think

here is a pic of the strips that i got  to use not good to me at all

post-2052-0-39024800-1388122261_thumb.jpg

I am going to start construction on the HMS Victory by Corel in January. I am now checking the contents and reading the limited instructions,  In your photos, what size wood did you use to hold the keel in place? Also are you going to leave the ship natural or the painted version?

I will be following your effort to construct this beautiful model.

hello harm welcome to my build log   what i did for the keel was build a keel holder for it  make sue that u build one u will need it . it will hold it in place so it dont get a twist in as u build . as well make sure that u look over all the wood in the kit for warped parts cuz my keel was warped some of strips of wood as well if u need to see the pic of the keel holder i will post it for u  the wood for the holder is 3wide 2 1/2hthe base  2x4 at the front      

post-2052-0-72942500-1388168691_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-14441400-1388168796_thumb.jpgpost-2052-0-61693300-1388168806_thumb.jpg

the slot u see in the wood is about 3 16 of an inch  hope this helps u 

yes harm iam going paint it 

Edited by dragzz

here is the wood strips iam going to use for planking the decks light wood

post-2052-0-26191400-1388199873_thumb.jpg  

Hi Dragzz,,

Sorry to hear about your warped planks the replacement ones look good but they do appear to be a bit wide. How wide are they?

An 11 inch wide plank at your scale would be about 3mm

Jeff 

Current Builds;

HMS Supply 

Completed Builds;

are you going to do scale planking?   one thing I always see in a kit,  is that they always include .5mm  planking,  that is 5 mm wide.  if it were to be scale planking,  they might have been better to include 2 - 3 mm wide planking.  as far as cutting the length goes.....I take the easy way out....I cut them to the length of two ribs.   I draw lines at each rib......sometimes I will draw lines in the centers between each one as well.  I do a center line down the middle for the king plank{s}.    you can't really go by these measurements though......even the manufacturer can be a bit off with these measurements.   then you could mass produce the planking and do the calking around the edges.

I use an archive pen for that......India Ink.   I have used crayon as well....but it's a bit messy.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ahoy Popeye :D

I have noticed most kit supplied lumber is out of scale when it come to the decking. The Vic is 51'10" at her beam and 3mm would be my best guess, I did 48 planks at a foot width. Do you know how wide the planks were on a ship of the line.

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

hello popeye   the planks iam going to use is a 1.1x5mm iam trying to build here for a good friend i had if u know what i mean i think its will look just fine 

hello jpett  hope u feel better 

up date real soon     just trying to do the best i can 

hello jeff   thay are a bit wide but that ok   like i was say i have to do with what i can get from the hobby shop that all thay had 

Edited by dragzz