Chapman Frigate by bucknbarney - RADIO - Plank on Frame

You didn't learn patience in the Marines?   As I recall, everything was "hurry up and wait".... :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey BnB!

The language on the plan seems French to me. However, from some other plans by Chapman (of English heritage but born and grew up in Sweden becoming an institution in ship building for the Swedish navy in the late 18th century) it is mostly small-talk on the plans. Not rubbish, but nothing you would miss if you understood it. 

His predecessor was also an Englishman so, it is fairly safe to assume that he had the Admiralty style in building. But then he also did some years in France, hence the language on your plan.

Your start looks promising and I hope that you can keep the build going!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana

Bindy, thanks for the Hulk vote!

Mark, Semper Fi brother! I do recall a whole lot of Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Hakan, that makes a lot of sense. My boy is taking French and he suggested that it may be the language it's in. I've tried to translate it, and I got a ways, but there is too much of it that is hard to read. No biggy though.

Edited by bucknbarney

You know Brava, I have attempted to translate as much as possible of the plans and looked at the ship in your link, as well as the other af Chapman from 1830 on the same site and neither of them seem to have the same dimensions as the ones on the plans.

Still a mystery to me! So fun to do the research though!

Ok. I have been poking and proding my brain. with this first build. I've decided to change my tactic AGAIN, and I think this time, my plan will work.

I took a couple hours blowing up the plans I have to the exact size my model is. Of course, I don't have anything to print out that size, so I painstakingly blew up one part of the ship plans at a time and printed each section on a regular sheet of paper. I then taped each section to its mate until I finally got the complete ship and WOW, what a difference to finally see in full size what goes where!

After that, I decided that I will take the full sized print of the top deck and lay it on a sheet of plywood to use as my guideline for flipping the model keel up to begin building it Hhan style.

As I began trying to fit the motor, I noticed that having all 32 ribs will be too cluttered and make ot difficult to work in the interior parts so I am only going to use every other rib. This gives me a lot more room.

I am also considering still using that broken, warped keel that has driven me to madness. Only now, I believe I will be laminating a 1/8" strip to each side, pressing it flat with weights and clamps until the glue dries. I believe this will not only repair the break and make the whole keel stronger, but it should also force the keel straight. (Fingers crossed)!

I am also considering adding another 1/8" strip to each side to act as the rabbit, instead of knotching it out, which should make the keel even stronger, allowing me to feel better about attaching a keel fin when she's out of drydock.

Well guys??? What do you think of my ideas? Good? Bad? Crazy?

Very helpful Bindy. Lol

So long as I don't get a "don't do it!" from our model making mentors, I'm going to try to tackle it this weekend. If I do get a "don't do it!", it's back to the drawing board for me.

I'll try to post some pics of the craziness.

Edited by bucknbarney