Chapman Frigate by bucknbarney - RADIO - Plank on Frame

I am new to wooden model ship building. I am a carpenter by trade so I have decided to finally attempt the build I have dreamed of building since I was a young boy, obsessed with Old Ironsides.

I wanted to have the ability to make a ship that I can actually sail using R/C. While researching online, I found that it would be best to use plans for a plank on frame instead of a plank on bulkhead build. After a little searching, I found plans for the keel and ribs of a Chapman frigate. The plans are in a different language, and were a little too blurry to read anyhow, so I am having to guess on size and proportions. I know that this model won't be perfect, and far from museum quality. For this project, I just want it to look the part and sail well when on the water!

I had the print shop print the plans so that my build will be about four feet long.

Aside from my lack of being able to decipher what writing there is on the plans, I have been able to find no instructions to help, so I am doing as much research as possible, using a little common sense and hopefully getting a lot of help from people in the know i.e. all of you!...

- After having the plans printed out, I am using carbon paper to transfer the plans to 1/4" birch plywood.

- Using a scroll saw, I am cutting out the transferred plans.

- I am using files and sand paper to finish the cut pieces.

-

post-10510-0-19406000-1391402864_thumb.jpg

Edited by bucknbarney

Jerrod,

Do a search on this forum with the word RADIO.  Sort by title.  You should see all the RC builds.  There's also a sub-forum for RC questions, etc. in general.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I have begun placing the ribs, unglued,  in their perspective slots, starting from the stern.

I have a question though for those of you in the know... What are those two pieces sitting on the table to, and where do they go?

I imagine they are a part of the stern gallery framing, but I cannot find notches on the stern to help in their placement.

Any help would be so much appreciated!

post-10510-0-05379300-1391404887_thumb.jpg

They look like cradles to hold the hull once it is on the building or display board.

Russ

This should be a fun boat to sail.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Ok. So, I found a wonderful book in The Edinburgh encyclopedia with some of Chapman's ideas regarding dimensions for masts, yards and sails. Only problem is that I don't really understand the math.

It states that:

"If the breadth of a ship is equal to B, the height of the main mast, according to Chapman, will be 3.23 B 11 12; and the height of the main top mast, reckoning from the upper side of the cross trees, that the main mast being denoted by L, will be L 11 12/ 2.73 for frigates."

Huh?! lol

Everything else like the mizzen, fore, and yards seems to be simpler fractions, based off of the size and dimensions of the main mast.

Hmm... is there a chance anyone here may know a simpler way of doing the math for these?

I belong to a club that races R/C sloops. If you have R/C questions I would be glad to help. As to the type of ship you are trying to build. I would look around this forum for the build logs of Jerry Todd. He has built several R/C vessels from the same period. Sorry I can't help with your math.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

The length of the main mast is keyed to the ship's breadth. I am not sure what Chapman is saying, but In James Lees' Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625-1860, he says that that the main mast length from the 1719 was 2.4 times the ship's breadth for frigates of 30 guns. The max diameter for the main mast from 1670-1773 was 15/16" per 3 ft of length.

Russ

One thing to remember when building R/C some things don't scale. for example my racing sloop is 37 inches long and has a mast of just shy of 5 ft. If you were to scale that up to full size I don't think the mast would be to scale. This happens a lot in R/C. It is hard to make everything exactly to scale and still function properly.

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

One thing to remember when building R/C some things don't scale. 

Like wind and waves! It's why you might need a bit of lead hanging on the bottom.

Good stuff though bucknbarney, I'm following along.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

Yes I think that would be a good idea. But as I said I only have experience with a modern racing sloop. What you are building is very different. I would also search U tube. There are videos of battles between square rigged R/C ships. And yes the external keel is almost a must.

Here is a picture of my sloop.

post-1088-0-20887800-1391699146_thumb.jpg

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Thanks to all for your awesome help and encouragement! I am planning on keeping this log up as much as possible.

Thought I should throw out there that I am hoping to have this model floating by summer and all the masts, yards, sails, rigging and R/C components finished by fall.

This may be a bit ambitious, but that is how I am! Lol

Edited by bucknbarney

Well!! first of what I'm sure will be MANY wonderful pitfalls in this build of mine....

Noticed this morning that the keel is bowing. Being that it is 1/4 ply, I can't steam it or go any of the other routes using heat to straighten it as I will delaminate.

So... This morning I attempted a fix by just moistening the outer plies on each side and placing the keel on a flat surface with weights to keep it flat while it dried during my work day.

Came home and checked at it is straighter! But... alas, it is not perfect. I'm going to attempt it again tonight with the hopes that it will straighten out even more over night.

Anyone have any suggestions? I even asked several of my co-workers (I'm a carpenter) and they couldn't think of anything better besides just scrapping the keel and cutting and filing another. I don't want to have to do that!!! But, I will if it comes down to it. 

Well, like most projects, there's always something else to do while you wait. So, back to tracing, cutting, and filing more ribs!

Edited by bucknbarney

I build my hulls in a sort of Hahn method, that is the frames are extended up to a common line and fastened to a building base board until the hull is planked.  This backbone building board keeps everything aligned until there's enough structure to do it itself.  You might add extensions to the frames to accomplish that, and unless it's a horseshoe, you might still use that keel you have.

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

No,it is thankfully not in a u-shape! You've got a LOT of experience Jerry so if you say still use it...I'm using it!

I've been considering the Hahn method as well. I have been thinking about how I'd ensure that the frames where plumb and level when I glued them and was thinking about using spacer blocks, 90 degree angle braces and clamps. Still, it appears to be a little easier, after the building base has been made, to use the Hahn method.

Edited by bucknbarney

I've just dropped

Brave decision to start POF as a first build. I do not dare.

Keep good work, I ll follow

Nenad

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic