Chapman Frigate by bucknbarney - RADIO - Plank on Frame

You aren't even close to the dark side. :DIf you check in with Dr. Per I think you get a clean bill of health. I suggest that the 4 yr old has an earlier bed time than you do. So you can satisfy him as well as the pull of the model.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

It's quiet where I live and I live alone. If I'm upstairs in my 'workshop' I hear nothing but if I'm downstairs, sometimes the only noise in the evenings is the sound of my neighbour playing with his two sons. It's a beautiful noise.

You can and will give your son many things, but he'll remember the time you give him more than anything. I guess he goes to bed fairly early at 4 years of age, leave the boat till he's asleep.   ;)

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

Solid advice, which I will gladly take guys.

We compromised.... he and I build a square rigger out of play-dough.

As I am in the process off using the scroll saw (loud) for the ribs, and being that it is stinking cold out here, the ship yard is my dining room table (wifey okay with it so long as I clean up after), which is next to the boy's room. So, I am at a little stand still. lol

don't be to sad, my 8 year old son is almost completely non interested, my 6 year old daughter on the other side... 

BelleendeBoot.JPG

already a year ago, but now she is already building herself a bit..

Finished models: Botter, President

Current:

Prins Willem by the book of Ketting,

HMS Beagle - OcCre

restauration of a Statenjacht

Michiel, that is an adorrible pic! I sincerely hope my boy gets into doing this. He likes "helping" me (not as much as playing though!) when I work on it but I think when he sees the "pirate" ship actually sailing and is given the opportunity to take the controlls, he'll be hooked too!

Tax return's coming soon!

Oh what I would give if the Admiral would let her captain have a wood lathe!!

I've decided I need to get started on the masts.

I'd like to play around with spinning out some cannon as well.

Edited by bucknbarney

The length of the main mast is keyed to the ship's breadth. I am not sure what Chapman is saying, but In James Lees' Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625-1860, he says that that the main mast length from the 1719 was 2.4 times the ship's breadth for frigates of 30 guns. The max diameter for the main mast from 1670-1773 was 15/16" per 3 ft of length.

Russ

Russ,

Is this the measurement for the entire main mast, including the topmast and topgallant, or just the lower?

I'm looking for a way to get measurements for each section of the masts so I can begin putting them together.

I am also looking for ways to get measurements for the yards.

Thanks in advance for any and all help from all of you on this forum. You all rock!

Edited by bucknbarney

Oh ..

Even when they grow up, they STILL want to play with you. Of course, on a different way.

See my last post ...  :D

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-m-tehnodidakta-19711983-campbell-plans/page-47#entry164775

Edited by Nenad M

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

Holy cow! I finally did it!

After tons of research on this site and others, I found a story that had documents from 18th century English builders, giving what the dimensions in feet should have been for a frigate this size! Not the same country, but same time frame and from what research I did, it seemed that mast lenghts varied depending upon the builder.

It had lengths for masts, yards and the like! All I had to do was calculate the feet to centimeters (did I mention that I now LOVE the metric system?), take that number and convert it to my models scale of 1:44.68 (finally figured it out), and BOOM!!!!!, I've got the measurements I have been yearning for!!!!

Woot woot!

Makes me feel like marching around the house in my slippers shouting the ol' cadences we used to belt out back when I was in the Corps!

Yup! I'm in a good mood now! Think I'll go have a shot o' rum to celebrate!

Edited by bucknbarney

There's also a spreadsheet here:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-masts-and-yards.php   I forgot we had it or I would have mentioned it earlier. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

What I will probably wind up doing is have the bottom that is from the lower gun deck down solid, ie put in filler pieces between the frames and file/sand to shape before planking.  Thats the plan of attack at this stage. Currently it is very hard to get acceptable ply at either 3 or 4.5mm thats from my local hardware vendor. Methinks will have to go further afield.

Have you started a build log yet rpeteru? I would like very much to follow along.

While there were many ships built that were designed by Chapman, due to these plans being generic, they are vague i.e. no ship name. Because of this, there's no real way to tell if this particular ship was ever even built.

Although this gives us a great deal of artistic expression, it also doesn't give the ability to dive into the details of one certain ship.

As I am also in the beginning steps of my build, I'm not too much further ahead of you, rpeteru. It might help both of us to give and take ideas while doing these builds!

Sounds like a plan man. it looks like the only detail we have to go on is the scale given that the recommended plywood thickness is 3/16" which works out to 1:75 or impirial 1:72. Assuming a keel width of 12". In this instance we are really working ar**e about face. Usually a set of drawings is made from which all things are measurable. In our case we have the finish shape size allready presented. But as you said this one is has not been defined which gives us a whole heap of latitude. Any ideas?

Thankfully, MTaylor gave is a link to use for dimension of everything above the decking. That was one of my major concerns.

I missed the recomendation for ply thickness. Of course, that wouldn't have worked for me anyhow as I had the plans blown up to fit my desires for the build, which were large. I do wish I'd use a larger ply than 1/4", but it is cheap (free!) for me so that's what I'm using.

Haven't started a build log yet. Today was mainly measuring main deck size, before transfer to ply wood ready for cut out. Have glued on some of the paper templates prior to cut out and shaping. Just itching to use my new scroll saw. Almost ready to make saw-dust.

Edited by rpeteru

I plan on going just as far as my imagination (and pocket book) will let me go. As it will be an rc ship, it will be fully planked. I will also be scratch building my masts. Each section up to the topgallant will likely be carved out of soft maple (free from the shop). I plan on having a main, top and topgallant for sails on the main and fore mast, and at top (think that's what it's called) and spanker on the mizzen. I do not plan on just turning the masts to rotate her sails. I am planning on fabbing up yard jacks for each. I do think that for this build, I will be using the bare minimum needed for the rigging. I will attempt to keep it close, but I'm thinking I may have to change a few things around to accommodate the sail winch servos. 

Do a search for JerryTodd's builds.  He does large scale RC frigates and his homepage in his sig as well as his build logs have a lot of good info.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

He found me  ;)  and the links are in my signature.

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

Had a great lesson in patience recently. I was just sick and tired of that darned warped keel! I've tried steaming it, just getting the glue in the ply to soften so I could staraighten it without causing it to delaminate.

Nope!

Day after day, steaming it, straightening it, and setting it flat with weights on it to while it dried for 24 hours. It always seemed to work, then after a few hours without the weights.... The darned thing would warp again!!! Aahhhhh!!!!

Frustration began to boil up... I though, "you work with this stuff for a living Jerrod! "Why can't you tame this darned ply?!?!?".

Well, finally I was finished with it! No more steaming the ply... Now I was steaming!!!!!

So, needless to say, my better judgement was out the window. I placed that keel on my knee and started to see if it would JUST STINKING BEND STRAIGHT ALREADY!!!!

Nope!

Just as I started getting it to a bend..... SNNNAP!!

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!!

Well, I've just had it with that darned keel. It has won.

So, on the plus side, I get to start over now!

There's a nice peice of soft 1"x11"x5' soft maple at the shop, just sitting there begging for me to work it. I'm thinking about plaining it down to 3/8" and cutting a new keel.

It will be stronger, thicker, and have a heck of a lot more beautiful than 1/4" ply. Not to meantion, I can re-think the plan I was originally working for the keel.

So, lesson learned (I think) about having patience. I know, I was told in a previous post by someone with A LOT MORE experience than me that "as long a that keel isn't u-shaped, I might just use that keel".

Another lesson for this young grasshopper... Listen!!!!

I've had that problem in the past too though. Probably why I ended up doing so many pushups in the Corps! Lol

Just take it easy

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

LOL I am in tears with laughter! boy have I been there. You know there are times when you know you should just get up and walk away before you make it worse.

Edited by Floyd Kershner

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Thanks Nendad. I will now... That I have already done the damage! Lol

Floyd, another lesson I need to learn! I didn't just walk away! To be honest, that darned keel has been on my mind in both my waking hours, and at night. I have LITTERALLY dreampt about it! It was bothering me that much!

Oh well, now I can obsess about something else... Like a new keel!

Nooooooo

Well on a plus side I guess you get a 1. a shiny new keel;  2. knowledge that the new keel will be perfect and you can be happy and proud of for years to come; and 3.  The "Incredible Hulk" award for "strongest" keel straightener of 2014!