could someone please tell what futures is used for.,I've asked this on another forum & didn't get a real good answer.,is it a polish, if so is it high gloss, I think I've also read it used as a glue., is this right. I know it is called pledge now. in Australia I'm not sure if I can get it. I hope I can get some help please.,

Steve,

Future or Pledge in Australia is an acryllic floor wax made by Johnson and Johnson.It is readily available in supermarkets in Oz.It has a high gloss finish when buffed and is hard wearing.It is mainly used on timber and linoleum floors.

Plastic modellers swear by it for applying a gloss finish prior to applying decals; and also use it as a mask for separating different layers of paint so that they do not interract.It is also used for a gloss finish on model aircraft canopies.It is applied neat or diluted with Windex for airbrushing.

I have read of it being used as a glue for small parts, but have no experience of doing this.

I hope this helps,

Terry N

It is a liquid polish that acts as a sort of varnish. Once set it is quite hard. As terry says it is widely used by aircraft modellers. I use it myself. It is vEry good at protecting the clear parts for CA fogging. Personally I use a paint range that has a high gloss factor that means that I don't use it for decals. In the UK the formula and name changed much to the consternation of the modelling community as it no longer did what it used to! I have heard of people buying it to stockpile

And to actually answer your question once dry decals will readily stick to it. I guess you could paint over it but most use it as a varnish so it is a final coat

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

• 3 years later...

Hey howya goin all, if you are still looking for pledge floor care aka Future aka Klear the original one, give this page a look Polish Up <--- Click Here, hes the only one in Australia that gets it in anymore, he got a shipment in not to long ago but hes sold out now, use the contact us page to email him to see if hes getting anymore in. Pledge Floor Care Multi Surface Floor Finish is the newest version and is said to be better then the last version because the last is said to start to turn you model yellowish over time.   :bird-vi:

5913777f1bc1e_Tools32.thumb.JPG.dbc6e6570c58a9fc6efed0613ff8cd4f.JPG

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

HMS Victory, scale 1:64 or 1:48, POF Scratch Build (John McKay's plans)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Galley Washington 1776, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (NRG's Plans)

Ragusian Carrack, scale 1:59, POB kit (MarisStella)

King of the Mississippi, scale 1:80, POB Kit (Artesania Latina)

HMS Snake 1797, 18 Gun Sloop of War, scale 1:64, POB Kit (Jotika/CalderCraft)

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

Ditto . I know this product is used by plastic modelers as a hard shiny finish. I am wondering also what its use may be in wooden ships, that can not be done with wood-specific or designed for products.

Anyway, Amazon sells it.

https://www.amazon.com/Johnson-Pledge-Floor-Multi-Surface-Finish/dp/B000ARPH4C/ref=sr_1_3_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1494500227&sr=1-3&keywords=pledge+floor+care

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Hey howya goin Ulises Victoria mate, pledge floor care aka Future aka Klear the original one was and still is depending on where you get it in the world, used as a cheap alternative to those little hobby bottles of gloss varnish, for ship modelling say you paint your hull and want a gloss finish you could use pledge or anything else you want a gloss finish to, you can even get a dull finish with it by holding your air brush further away from you model when spraying it, practise this before you try it, if your ship has decals they should ALWAYS be put down on a gloss surface so to stop the from silvering you can do this by brushing on the area that the decals will go with pledge. Hope this helps mate.   :bird-vi:

I'm probably not going to live long enough to build all these but I'm BLOODY going to try HAHAHA.

Future Builds: The Schooner Bluenose, scale 1:48, POF Scratch Build (Gene Bodnar practicum - Plans from modelshipbuilder.com)

Current Builds: 42ft Longboat Armed for War 1834, scale 1:36 POF Scratch Build (Plans from A.N.C.R.E.) 

Current Build: Stage Coach 1848, scale 1:10, Kit (Artesania Latina) Shhh don't tell the Admins I'm building this I'll hide it here ^under this line^ so they don't see it HAHAHA.

PS - I have never tryed this on raw timber you may have to put down some sanding sealer first. Ever since Pledge stop selling this in Australia it's not cheap for us to get it from anywhere else in the world compared to normal bottle of hobby gloss vanishes.    :bird-vi: