Question on Shipyard Fixtures circa 1774

edbardet

In the attached photos there is a furnace like device in the center of the shipyard (Deptford circa 1774)

Could they be steamers?

There are several in the yard and some quite close to the slips. This could indicate the need to get heated timbers to the ships rapidly.

post-112-0-56967200-1395781681_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-18707900-1395781148_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-53064300-1395781534_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-54244300-1395781615_thumb.jpg

I would like to know what they are.

There does not seem to be a way to insert long timbers, but all the covers could be raised and timber lowered into the center for soaking / steaming.

Was steaming done in the 1700's?

Could it be a 'stove' where tar pots were heated for calking. Does anyone have another opinion?

Thanx,

Ed

Ed,

Those look like the steamers I've seen illustrated in several books.  The timber/planks was inserted at the ends.  The "hatches" were for man-handling the wood in side the steamer box.  There was a long metal pan that held the water under the timber.  Yes, they steamed planks in the 1700's possibly earlier.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

mtaylor - Thanx I did not see an opening at the ends, but looking again it does seem like there is one in one of the photos. It must have taken a long time to steam since they had to let out the steam and heat as they opened the top. WackoWolf - Thanx

Yep that is a traditional setup with a boiler and a box. I just was not sure of the thing in my pictures.

Ed

Ed,

The rule of thumb as I recall was one hour per inch thickness plus one hour for the plank. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well, John, seems that the English do things like that so there would be similarities, no?  :)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Interesting pictures.

It leads me to the next question. After the planks were steamed, how and where were they formed to the shape they wanted. Certainly they would not carry hot planks across the yard to another building, or would they?

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Jay,

Get a copy of "Building the Wooden Fighting Ships" by Dobbs and Moore.  

The answer is "yes".  The planks would have been spiled before going in the steamer. They pulled it from the steamer and put it in place on the hull using various clamping devices.  If there was problem in getting it right, it went back in the steamer.  Steamers were located around the yard near the building slips/drydocks according the maps in the book. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Many years ago when my hair was still red a bunch of us made a group trip up to Milwaukee WI to see the build of the Donald Simmons.  While there we saw the workers take a plank  from a steam box and place it on the frames.  They moved fast the plank was very flexiblle.  Once in place they would clamp it down until it dried.  I wish I had a video camera to take a video.

David B

Edited by dgbot

Mark - Do you have a copy of a book that has the Deptford map? My next post was asking for the legend on the map.Dodds and Moore just has the one from Woolrich.

Ed

No, I don't. See the other post you made on Deptford.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Definately steamers - if you get the chance visit the Historic Dockyard at Chatham the Wooden Walls exhibition has one made up following the course of a build.

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.