Pin pushers for planking?

Hi everyone,

To start pins for the first planking on a double-planked hull, any recommendations on a good pin pusher?  I used the Latina (or maybe Amati) Nail Nailer on my Badger, which worked fairly well.  It pushed nails into the plywood bulkheads just enough to hold the glued plank to the bulkheads, but not all the way in which made removal very easy.  I pulled mine out of storage this afternoon, and it looks like it's bent and no longer usable.  It wasn't built of the sturdiest construction, so I'm looking to see if there are any other options that people are happy with.  

In the alternative, are their other preferable ways to pin the first planking to bulkheads?  I didn't particularly have much luck with hammering nails in with a ball peen hammer.  I thought about maybe using a Dremel to pre-drill holes, but the pin pusher seemed much easier.  I also saw that there are things called "T-Pins" out there, but not sure if they are all that helpful for planking work.

Thanks very much!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi  Mike

I use map pins And push them into the bulkhead adjacent to the plank I am gluing

The pins I use have a plastic head about 6mm in diameter which holds the plank

until the glue dries

Hope that helps

Regards

Ken

Under construction  US Brig Niagara

Completed  HMB Endeavour - Caldercraft

Hi Mike:

I too found the Amati pin pusher lacking. When I did some digging, I found the model railroading people use a pin pusher as well for the tracks.

The one I got is very substantial fits into the palm of the hand and is thicker at the business end.

They have different sizes for different pins. The other thing I found was the cost was cheaper than Amatis. Now this was approx. 7 or 8 years ago.

Hope this helps you.

Dave

Hi guys, thanks for the replies, I really appreciate it.  A few follow up questions if you don't mind.

Ken, are you able to push the map pins all the way to the hilt?  I found at least on my Badger that the bulkheads were too firm to just manually push the pins all the way in without pre-drilling holes.

Dave, do you remember where and what model your pin pusher is?

Tom, I saw those pliers last night and wondered if they were any good.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Micromark seems to offer three sizes in nails - do you recall which you use?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hi Mike. I didn't buy any nails with the pliers, but have used them on all kinds of nails that I have received with various kits, as well as regular sewing pins.

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful!  I really appreciate it.

Mike

Guest EricD

I use a pin vise to drill a hole big enough to take the nail in the plank and push the nail in and glue on the plank.  Then I give it a few taps with a hammer to hold it until the glue dries.  The small nails don't get in the way and you can easily pull them out with pliers.