cutting hard wire

I am looking for a small wire cutter capable of cutting hard wire from .040 down to .0135. Currently I am cutting metal pins (medical quality) and the Irwin brand cutters are not cutting cleanly, also the wire is leaving indentations in the edge of the cutter blade.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Sorry my friend but Irwin brand are as they say "Not going to Cut It" Hard wire requires an far better , Expensive / quality  tool A good electrical suppliers will have much better brands behind the counter Professional tools for a real job

Big box store tools are for DIYer's,  Hard wire is professional grade 

Take a piece of wire with you and the assistant will help you out with the right tool and also help you empty your wallet in the process, but only ONCE

Andy

Current Build

HM Granado CC

Past builds

HMS Chatham CC, HM Convulsion CC,  Duke William German Kit, Fair American LSS, The Wright Flyer MS

Andy's right, Richard. You'll need a quality cutter for the material you're working with--you're easily looking at $20 and up cutters. Give Rio Grande jewelry a try: http://www.riogrande.com/Home . You can give 'em a call for recommendations & they're good about returns or etc. if a tool doesn't meet expectations.

Cheers,

Jay

Current Build:

I have to agree with Andy.  Xuron makes a cutter for piano wire which should serve you sell.  I do not know if they make a flush cut version though.

David B

Thanks to all,

For me, the descriptions on line at Riogrande are not helping me understand which cutter would work (my lack of knowledge).  Once I get past the weekend I will try to call to see what they suggest. 

Richard

Richard

Was looking at different cutters and I am wondering if anyone can tell me what metal would be the hardest, most durable, and least likely to be nicked? I have seen stainless, carbon, high carbon etc.

Richard

Richard

Is there a Hobby Lobby in your area. The number is Xuron 2193. Check with Model Expo, Micro Mark.

David B

Edited by dgbot

My first question is why hard wire?, What is the function of the wire?  The people who repair Pianos would be the best folk to talk to regarding cutter for the hard wire (music wire)

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I am creating jigs for making nail impressions in copper hull plating. I am using the needles from diabetes lancets.  They are a perfect size and stiff / hard enough to be worked (cut, ground, etc.) without losing shape or strength. 

They need to be cut down to size to use.  When cutting them, the edges on the cutters I have are too soft and end up with nicks.  

It looked like cutters made for piano wire might be too large for the very thin needles.  The wire is about #77 thickness in drill bits and I may be trying out thinner lancets that require #80 drills for the holes.

I noticed on the first cut that the Xuron cutters I had were being damaged so I stopped using them.  The ad for the Irwin cutters described them as " induction hardened cutting edge of nickel chromium steel."  Sounded pretty tough but ended up not really good enough. Not knowing that much about cutter strength, I did not know what descriptors signified cutters with cutting edges that were hard enough to take on the needles I was cutting..

I have other Xuron cutters and am pleased with them so, unless I get other thoughts, I think I will try out the suggestion for the Xuron 2193 to see how they work.

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard

I know people who use diabetic needles.  They will either use a cut off wheel or the music wire cutters.

David B

thanks David, I have ordered the Xuron 2193 you recommended. I hadn't thought of using a cutoff wheel but that sounds like it would be more difficult and somewhat messy.  When a cut piece flies off, it is really difficult to find. 

That should do the trick.

Richard 

Richard

Richard, thanks for the answer, it makes sense, The Xuron 2193 looks like they will work to cut the needles, the only thought  have is that they look like they work similarly to a shear or a pair of scissors. I would think that something that can cut like a flush cutter would be better for your purposes though.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Richard,  I hope they work for you.  I have always used a cutoff wheel.  The majority of the needle would be held in my vice.  Then using a pair of needle nose pliers to hold the other end I would cut my piece.  Like I said.  I know people who have used the Xuron and were very happy.

David B

When I first read your question I was going to propose using a cutoff wheel too.  Sounds like you've got some good options though  Sometimes I have trouble getting uniform lengths with a wheel if you need them all to be identical,  Good luck with the project.  I don't think that many people take the trouble to include nail holes in copper plating. 

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

I was going to suggest a Dremel diamond cutoff disc. Hypodermic needles are very hard and the pieces will shoot off like projectiles when you try to snip them off. At the very least, use safety goggles.

Per

My words exacly.  I have forgotten how many times my visors have kept me from losing my eyesight over the years.  Better a new pair of glasses than an eye.  The lenses on my regular glasses are shatter proof as well.

David B

I received the Xuron 2193. It works very well.  Once I developed a feel for the amount to allow for its center cut I was in business.  I also found there is not fly off when cutting, it just drops into the container.

Thanks to all.

Richard

Richard