Statsraad Lehmkuhl by Stockholm tar – 1/8th" = 1'

Hi Nils,

Good to hear from you. Yes, its nice to be back on SL again, although no pics just yet.

Would you have you an idea about the deck camber?

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Hi Kester.. I have no knowledge on the Camber question but does camber not tend to 'soften out' as you approach the bow/stern, so it may not be consistent 'front to back' if u follow..

I'm sure better people than yours truly here can advise you on this though.  :D

Great to see u back working on her though !

All The Best

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Hi Nils,

Good to hear from you. Yes, its nice to be back on SL again, although no pics just yet.

Would you have you an idea about the deck camber?

Kester,

for a tallship I use 2- 2,5% (of the corresponding width at the frame / bulkhead concerned) as camber midships, whereby it fades down to 1,5 % at last third of poopdeck and first third of forecastle deck

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Eamonn,

Yes, I'm sure you're right. As you know, it's not something you particularly notice when on board – although had I known 27 years ago what I would be doing now...  

Nils,

Thanks, that'll be useful.

Kester

• 3 weeks later...

At long last I’ve managed to cut some wood (!) and started with the four midship bulkheads, the idea being to work gradually towards the bow and stern.

I cut out and shaped the four bulkheads (using a sticksaw with the finest blade, and a small battery sander) and finished them off by hand. This worked well and I am improving with practice – the only real problem being in the sticksaw hitting a clamp and coming to an unplanned for stop. The sander enabled me to get quite close to the line and this together with the final sandpapering made for almost an almost perfect shape. Unfortunately, the first bulkhead didn’t turn out quite so well, as I took off just a little too much at the top of the side that will butt against the backboard.

post-427-0-04420900-1441097002_thumb.jpg

This won’t matter much as I intend to glue the inboard ends of the bulkheads into a slotted board, itself glued (and perhaps screwed for added security) to the backboard, and which will fit inside the keel, stem and stern pieces. This is cut from the same 4mm birch-ply sheet as used for the bulkheads. Some careful measuring and tracing of the plan will now be needed to accurately cut the slots. I am inclined towards gluing the bulkheads into the slotted ply before fixing the whole to the backboard, complete with keel, stem and stern pieces, the latter of which I can probably make out of planking strips. Spacer bars will be glued between the bulkheads on the outboard side, to keep it all square.

post-427-0-20415300-1441097053_thumb.jpg

I think the pics are self explanatory, the second showing the board to be slotted.

Having examined it, I have decided that the backboard (the thwart from my father-in-law's old yacht) will need a light sand and a re-varnish with something of a matt finish, as I don’t really want it to make it too shiny and new looking.

In passing it feels good to have actually started on this. We hope to be out at the cottage until the end of this month, or perhaps until early October, so some time to progress!

Edited by Stockholm tar

Kester

Hello Kester,

Looks like you are having keellaying soon...

Nice to see the SL on the way

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi guys, and thanks for the likes, even though it's early days yet.

Nils,

Or is that half-keel laying perhaps?  ;)

The next challenge is to trace out the required lines and transfer them to the board that will take the bulkheads. I will start doing that this afternoon, especially as the weather has taken a turn for the worse and I will probably be indoors for the duration. The forecast says it will be raining all day with strong winds and, for a change, they appear to be right! :( This might take a little while, but I'll be taking pics at each step...

Crackers,

Thanks for the lovely picture. Harold Underhill thought SL one of the most beautiful, if not the most beautiful, barques afloat – and I agree, of course. (I wonder if he would be amazed that she was still sailing at one hundred years old?) I don't think there is a photo, from any angle, which is less than pleasing.

Kester

• 1 month later...

Just a short update on SL. I have now finished drawing the fore and mid sections from the sheer plan, showing the position of the bulkheads, keel and centre deck line, on to tracing paper. I am partly though doing the same with the after section.

The size of the plan meant that three sides of A4 tracing paper were required, carefully overlapped and running from bulkheads 1 – 30. The extremities at the bow and stern will require two additional sheets. I have drawn a dashed line, 2mm either side of the bulkhead position shown on the plan, marking the width of the cut needed to take each 4mm bulkhead. The tracings will be transferred to paper before gluing it to the board. I intend to cut out each slot to about the halfway mark on the board, the other ‘half’ being cut from the lower part of each bulkhead. That way, apart from perhaps making for a more secure joint, the board should remain in one piece!

The two rather poor photos (which I am blaming on the weather) show the progress so far. Besides gluing the board to the thwart/backboard I am still debating whether to use four screws, for added security. I think it might be a good idea:

post-427-0-44553900-1443884650_thumb.jpg

post-427-0-19974500-1443884713_thumb.jpg

As we have now returned to Stockholm for the winter this, unfortunately, will be the last log entry on SL for this year. I had hoped to progress a little further, but our departure for the ‘big smoke’ was somewhat earlier than expected – prompted by 1: the weather; 2: one of our four cats and his increasing expeditions down to an unknown site of interest nearby a busy road, which runs just a few hundred yards down the lane from our cottage. Not wanting to run the risk of him getting injured, or worse, we decided to play safe and return home early.

Never mind, there is always next year, when work on SL will resume!

Kester

Druxey,

Thank you and I wish you the same.

I didn't get to do so much to SL this summer as I had hoped but, as I said, there's always next year! So now it's back to the Sherbourne. Now, where was I ... ? :huh:

Kester

Hi Tadeusz,

Thanks for the photos. The third one down of her figurehead, or more correctly, billet head will come in handy when I get to that point. I was actually at the 1985 Sail Amsterdam, although not of course on SL, and it was a great experience. I was part of the crew on a small schooner.

Kester

• The title was changed to Statsraad Lehmkuhl by Stockholm tar – 1/8th" = 1'