Tool for bending metal strips or wire

The picture is of hammock rails / stantions for the Niagara 1:64. I'd like a tool (or advice) on how to bend things like this. Or things like Pintels and gudgeons. <sp?>

Brian

post-10291-0-28848200-1405558423_thumb.jpg

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

I have a small pair of pliers and they are great for work like that.  With pintles and gudgeons you have to be careful if they are brass because you don't want to scratch the surface but you can hold the work between scraps of wood.  .

If you are making a lot of pieces and the wire is soft you can make a jig out of nails in a board and shape the wire on the jig.

Hope that helps.

Tom

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

If you have to do many similar pieces it is better to make yourself a wooden jig the form you want your piece bent, otherwise will be difficult to get all the pieces in the same shape; if you make them by the hand there will be inherent dimensional variations from one piece to another. Wish you good luck with your hammock rails!

You might also want to have a look at an RC hobby shop.  They usually have something called a Z-bend plier used for bending control rods to fit into the servos.  Might work for the tight bends near the tops of your hammock cranes

Carl

Completed builds: AL Bluenose II 1:75  Gallery
                              Amati Hannah SIB 1:300  Gallery

Current Build: Bluenose II - SIB - unknown scale

O.M.G!!! I'm assuming he has some kind of micro table saw, to made the jig? I'm a toy-aholic, any recommendations for a micro table saw and a belt or disk sander?

And what's better, belt or disk sander?

Thanks a BUNCH, Grant! Maybe my 3rd or 4th model I'll be ready to build a test lab. I wouldn't even have the room. Barely enough room as it is and a b**** to keep clean it's so small. Cluttered. Next spring I'm adding onto the garage. Can't wait. This is my first ship. I've already learned 976,342.2 things I'll never do again.

Brian

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

I have a Dremel table saw that I like a lot.  Out of the box it is good but with a few simple mods it is great.  Belt or disk sander is moot as most sanders come with both these days.  I have a 1" belt sander that has a 6" disk on the side.  Works very well.  Nice thing about a belt sander is it can be used to sharpen chisels and knives.  Just have to change the belt to a finer grit.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Brian,

As far as saws and sanders go, you can't get better than the Jim Byrnes machinery. His table saw (4") is an absolute joy to work with, and his disc sander is too. Both are extremely accurate, well made, and quiet running. Many of the folks here at MSW swear by his products - myself included. Oh, and he also makes a Thickness sander, a Ropewalk machine, and a Draw plate.........

If your wife asks, we never had this conversation.................. ;)