What is a topgallant forecastle?

usedtosail

I saw this term referenced twice in a book I just finished. Is it a second level on the forecastle? The reference was to British ships in the 1814 era.

Sure it wasn't a t'gallant stays'l?

What book?  What period?

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

The Age of Fighting SailC. S. Forester - War of 1812. One reference was to chopping the topgallant forcastle up with axes to lighten the ship, so I know it was not a stay. I don't have the book here with me, but I could find the specific reference later.

Axes work good on line and you can cut a notch in a tree for falling but it is not quick as anyone who has used an axe to clear windfall from roads. So I would assume that a Topgallant Forecastle is not structural or the saws would be used. Be watching for the answer from someone who knows.

jud

I have found a few "dictionary" listings that all state it is a partial weather deck on top of a forecastle superstructure.  Crothers, in his 2013 American-Built Packets and Freighters of the 1850s, refers to this feature in a couple of spaces, including this excerpt -

By definition bitts are "sturdy timbers of squared cross section which are ... Where possible they extended from above the topgallant forecastle deck

In addition, there is this reference in Parliamentary Papers, House of Commons and Command, Volume 63

http://books.google.com/books?id=SwkTAAAAYAAJ

Sir, Glasgow, 16 February 1867.

In obedience to the instructions contained in letter (M. 269.) I beg to append a list, selected from about 100 vessels whose forecastles I have inspected, and the number in which I have taken the liberty to somewhat augment from that required, with the view of fairly representing the condition and size of those in ships of various tonnages, grades, and trades, and as recently found by. me about Glasgow and the Frith of Clyde. The plan I propose is simply to present the ships individually, with notes of the situation, condition, and size of their crewspaces as I saw them, reserving any general remarks to the last, and which arrangement I trust will meet with your approbation.

Ship of 744 tons, engaged in the North American timber trade; berths a crew of 16 people under topgallant forecastle, which is open from side to side, and where windlass and chains are wrought. No plugs seen for hawse-holes. No light except from four small dead-lights on top of forecastle deck, about seven inches long by two inches broad ; when windlass and entrance doors are closed no special ventilation. Space, clear of chains, and including bed-berth, about 14 square feet, and 84 cubic feet, per berth.

Ship of about 700 tons, engaged in the North American timber trade; berths a crew of 1-2 people under topgallant forecastle, which is open from side to side, and where windlass and chains are wrought; no doors to enclose forecastle above windlass : when ship is at sea only a small breakwater underneath; no dead- lights, no side-lights, no plugs seen for hawse-pipes ; light and air alone by doors at sides, and open spaces above windlass. Must be miserably cold living here in the spring and fall voyages of this trade. Space, berth included, clear of chains and other incumbrances, about 19 square feet, and 117 cubic feet per berth.

Continues describing several additional vessels.  The reference is about half way through the document (page 30 of the section titled Merchant Seamen's Accommodations

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

I checked the definition of "topgallant" and it means "raised above adjacent parts or structures" which totally supports Wayne's comment. 

Technically, then you could use the term to describe lots of things--including a Lady Gaga headdress!

Tom

Current: Sergal Sovereign of the Seas

Previous builds:  AL Swift, AL King of the Mississippi, Mamoli Roter Lowe, Amati Chinese Junk, Caesar, Mamoli USS Constitution, Mantua HMS Victory, Panart San Felipe, Mantua Sergal Soleil Royal

I've read and heard what you would call seaman's slang use terms like "He was a full tops'l taller than his comrades."  But I never caught this particular reference.  Never too old to learn I guess.

Funny, I've read everything Forrester wrote except that one, guess I'm gonna have to slide over to Abe Books and hunt one down.

Jerry Todd

Click to go to that build log

Constellation ~ RC sloop of war c.1856 in 1:36 scale

Macedonian ~ RC British frigate c.1812 in 1:36 scale

Pride of Baltimore ~ RC Baltimore Clipper c.1981 in 1:20 scale

Gazela Primeiro ~ RC Barkentine c.1979 in 1:36 scale

Naval Guns 1850s~1870s ~ 3D Modeling & Printing

My Web Site

My Thingiverse stuff

A topgallant forcastle is a small deck in the bow of a ship. Obviously all forcastles are a small deck in the bow of a ship. It is the uppermost deck.

What makes it a top-gallant forecastle is when it is above the height of the main rail. Usually top-gallant forecastles were added to smaller vessels that did not have any foc'sle at all. On these smaller ships (brigs & sloops etc) the bulwarks were not tall enough to provide the minimum acceptable head room under a deck. Therefore an addition was added to the height of the sides. If you examine the print of the HMS Nautilus you will see the addition to the sides from the stem to about the last lower shroud. She began life as a typical Cherokee class 10 gun brig. This vary large class of brigs were generally flush decked. This ship had a top-gallant foc'sle added later in life. It may have been to provide an additional covered space. Maybe a platform was needed to get the sailors handling the head sails away from the crew handling the anchor cables.

post-2745-0-19921700-1409853233_thumb.jpg

Edited by michaelpsutton2

Drown you may, but go you must and your reward shall be a man's pay or a hero's grave