Micro Combo Saw, from Unique Master Models

In the Spring 2014 issue of the Nautical Research Journal I read a brief review by Kurt Van Dahm (page 69, Vol 59 No 1) of a new tool called a Micro Combo Saw by Unique Master Models of Deerfield Illinois.  It seemed to be exactly what I was looking for in order to make very fine cuts, so I ordered the saw and the Micro Miter Box that was designed for it.  I couldn't be happier with it.  I've shown it to a few other ship modelers, and everyone who has seen it has wanted one, so I thought I'd share it on MSW (I haven't seen any other references to it).

The saw itself has a plain wooden handle, and the blades are very similar to 2-edged razor blades. 

post-331-0-30216300-1411526278_thumb.jpg

The blades are .005 inch thick, and have a 'coarse' side and a 'fine' side.  The 'coarse' side is finer than any razor saw I've found.  There are also some spacers included in the kit so you can mount two blades in the handle for parallel cuts.

post-331-0-88509200-1411526401_thumb.jpg

Everything comes in a nice storage box.

post-331-0-11386700-1411526450_thumb.jpg

The Micro Miter Box has positions for 45, 60 , and 90 degree cuts.

post-331-0-98505800-1411526514_thumb.jpg

Since the Micro Miter Box is very small, I made a small holding jig so that I could hold it securely in my vise.  This keeps the miter box from slipping out of my fingers.

post-331-0-46550700-1411526619_thumb.jpg

The next picture shows the underside of the jig.

post-331-0-68460900-1411526683_thumb.jpg

The saw and miter box are very economically priced, and I recommend them for anyone looking to make fine cross-cuts on small stock.  You can find them on the Unique Master Models website at www.umm-usa.com

Frank

Frank:

I like your holding fixture for the miter box and I am going to copy it for my shop.  Thanks for the great tip.

John Vojtech of UMM is going to be a vendor at the upcoming NRG Conference in St. Louis (October 16-18) and he's told me he has some new tools not yet in his web site catalog that he's bringing to the show.

Kurt

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Thanks Kurt.

I'm not able to attend the show this year, so I hope someone will post info about John's new tools.  I find his site and the types of tools he sells very interesting.

Frank

This micro saw is an amazing little tool, bought it about 10 month ago. Have used it when cutting the keel for the longboat.

At 16 dollars for the big set from UMM (when I got it) you can't go wrong.

Buy extra blade when you get it! :)

This pictures is from my building of the longboat and the new keel, material from Jeff at HobbyMill.

The first one, showing the extreme fine cut it makes, second the scarf.

post-967-0-57171900-1412308717_thumb.jpgpost-967-0-07367500-1412308887_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nirvana

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry