Razor saw handle/miter box

A few days ago I bought a Excel razor saw but not wanting to pay the outrageous price for the handle and miter box I decided to make my own and this is how they turned out.

post-1993-0-56593800-1418252424_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-40470800-1418252469_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-64754700-1418252692_thumb.jpg

I probably should have used a better piece of wood for the miter box but my angles are precise which is what counts. For the handle I was shooting for comfort rather than appearance but I managed to get both.

Lextin.

"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein.

Nice work on the handle and miter box.  That handle is work of art, Lextin.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 weeks later...

Cool looking handle. I have razor saws as well and love them. Since you made the miter box from wood, isn't that going to wear out quickly and then you have to make a new one.

I took the little miter box that came with the X-Acto kit and made the groves 1mm wider with a dremel and a carbide saw blade. Works great.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Marc: I don't foresee wear being to much of an issue the miter box is made from a hardwood (cherry I think) that a local cabinet maker discards in large quantities, I have used a plastic miter box for cutting 2by4's and though I have since given it up in favor of power tools it saw a lot of of use during its time with me and was still going strong last time I used it. Also the piece of wood is thick enough to where the saw will bottom out before it cuts all the way though and if it does wear out in a few years it took about 5 minutes to make so not much of a problem to make a new one.

Gaetan: I to have a Japanese style saw (probably my favorite hand saw) but the one I have is too large and unwieldy to be used for this application and I haven't yet acquired a small one I do intend to get one but it is not currently at the top of my list.

Lextin.

Here is a new crop of pictures to better show the dimensions but if you are making your own I highly suggest making it to fit your own hands and if you see room for improvement go for it. To hold the blade in place I use a simple press fit but if you drill the hole to big you can add a small set screw to hold the blade in.

P.S. I don't have a metric ruler so I hope your ok with inches.

post-1993-0-46253300-1420924093_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-01181200-1420924134_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-33911900-1420924158_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-24700900-1420924305_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-53505100-1420924267_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-69009700-1420924421_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-50907000-1420924309_thumb.jpg

post-1993-0-48126500-1420924402_thumb.jpg

Lextin.

Edited by qwerty2008