HALF MOON By Jerry - FINISHED - Corel Scale - 1:50

Good morning, Matt.

Many thanks for your visit to my log site and for your kind remarks..  I'm not familiar with the HMS Bounty Launch but I'll bet it's a good primer for the Half Moon.  So far I'm enjoying this build especially its size.  Having just completed the HMS Victory it's a pleasure to be able to pick up this project and easily carry it around.  Please let me know if there is any way I can help you when you begin the Half Moon.  I hope you have a great weekend

Best,
Jerry

Hey Jerry, Your HM is taking shape, nice work.  I'm closing in on the finish of my HALF Moon, just a few days of rigging and she'll be complete.  Good Luck with your build I'll follow with interest

J

Good evening, J....Thanks for your visit to my log and for your much appreciated words.  I know you must be very excited and happy being in the home stretch with repsect to finishing your Half Moon.  As you may know i just wrapped up my HMS Victory build just in time for Christmas and the feeling is very good.  I'm using your log for reference and am very thankful that you have posted your work.  I have run into a few puzzles but so far I've been able to solve them.  it's a lot of fun working on a small model as opposed to a very large one as the Victory.  One minor problem I have is reading the very small type that the construction manual is printed in.  My eyes are 82 years old and not as good as they once were.  Please keep in touch and I hope you have a very Merry Christmas. Best,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Good morning everyone...

I'm about start heading north with the hull planking.  Not too much has been done since my last posting but the pictures attached today represent where I'm at.  Some of the strips will have to be carefully glued to each other as there is very little frame surface left in some cases.  But those pictures will follow at another time.  So here's where I'm at today:

post-545-0-22441000-1419264261_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-21389800-1419264278_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-57803400-1419264291_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-03921000-1419264302_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Greetings Jerry

Well done so far. Yep this planking is a take your time job, but will be no prob for you. I have got to say I don't go much on your multi coloured cannons, they are well out of line and have been fitted far to early, yep room for improvement there. Keep enjoying your build Jerry . DAVID

Hello David,

I'm happy you came to see me.  There's not too much action on this site yet as there was on the Victory site.  But once in a while I do hear from someone with usually nice things to say.  I agree, the colored(please noticve ethe correct way to spell colored)   cannons are way out of line but fortunately they are temporary and will be coming down pretty soon.  However, a bunch of other ones will soon be seen.  I have done absolutely notthing today as I have been enjoying a very leisurely morning witha special breakfast prepared by the Admiral who is on holiday break.  I don't know if I'm lucky or not, bur she has decided that she wants to build a model when she's off from school this summer.  Oh my!  What to do?

Best,

Jerry

Hello J..

Thanks for the visit.  Nope, she can get her own tools.  LOL...Well, maybe we'll share them.

I'm trying to figure out how to attach a plank at the bow where there's nothing to secure it to except for a plank below it.  I appreciate your good words; they encourage me so please keep them coming.  Best,

Jerry

I think the map pins make a very nice colourful addition to your build, you may consider leaving them in situ.

I have had limited time over the last couple of days in the shipyard, but I hope to be able to crack on over the xmas break later in the week.

Edited by Glennard

Glenn (UK)

Hello Glenn.  

Yeah, David thinks the same thing regarding the pins.  I thought it would be more attractive if I used different colored pins rather than all the same.  I'm anxious to see what's happening with your Victory so get going man and stop goofing off. hope you have a fruitful Christmas and Santa leaves a rectangular box under your tree.  Best

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

What I did was fill the entire bow area with filler wood, not just the 6 pieces as shown in the instructions, then shaped all that so it was solid under the bow planks

J

Hello J...

Thanks for the quick reply.  I understand what you did but i believe i was referring to the planking above the little bow (Beak) deck,  I have already worked that area and what i did was to soak the wood until I could knead it like dough until it bent into the shape i wanted.  It seemed to work out very well.  Here's a couple of pictures showing what I mean.  Have a great evening.

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-29984900-1419288055_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-99041900-1419288061_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Thanks, J..Have a nice day.

Chris..I appreciate the information and will try that.  Best,

Jerry

Getting closer to Christmas eve but I have gotten a little more done today.  Looks like a bit of wood filler will be needed before sanding and the second planking.  

Best

Jerry

post-545-0-53309400-1419374211_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-59973900-1419374220_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Thanks Jerry, my best to you and yours during this Holiday season...same for all you readers!

Hey Jerry, looks awesome! I just got my Half Moon yesterday and excited to start it. May be awhile, now I have three more after my current build.

Have a happy and safe holiday week.

Matt

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Hello Dimitris.  Thanks for your nice comments.  Have a great Christmas and awesome New Years.

Best,

Jerry

Happy holidays to you, yoo, Glenn.  Thanks for your comments and I hope you're right.  Take care and enjoy a wonderful New Year.

Best,

Jerry

Good morning, Matt..

Three more?  You real stack them up, don't you.  Maybe Santa Claus was real good to you; I guess you weren't naughty and must have been nice.  Enjoy the new year but build one at a time.  lol

Best,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hey J,

I look forward to tapping your brain next year.  I'm sure I'll need your help.  Take care,

Best,

Jerry

Hello Lawrence.

Good to hear from you on this Christmas morning and to receive your good wishes.  I don't know about easter as I don't spend nearly as much time on Half Moon as I did on Victory.  A little bit here and a little bit there and some day it'll be finished.  I'm anxiously awaiting your getting going on the schooner and I know your log will be very informative.  So please have a fantastic new year and of course, the same to bernadette. Best,

Jerry