HALF MOON By Jerry - FINISHED - Corel Scale - 1:50

Hello Glenn.

To heck with the builds!  I'd love to share that English breakfast with you; maybe one day soon.  Thanks for the good words.  Yes, I'm ready for the deck fittings, but first I have to attach the rudder fittings to the rudder and hull and then the assembly to the keel. It's been a productive day today and I need a break.  Take care and straighten out those fire buckets.  I thought that was a real tedious part of the Victory build.

Jerry

Hello again everyone....it's the last day of the month and it's now been about a month and a half since I began construction of the Half Moon b y Corel. Imust say that I have enjoyed every moment of this build.  One reason is because of the additional friends I have made and the help that they have selflessly offered.  As in the past, when building Victory, there were times when I became bogged down in "what-the=heck-do-I-do-now"  land  and fellow builders came to my rescue, some that I have known from the previous build and some that I recently met while working Half Moon. I say again many thanks to you all for you know who you are.  Work today has produced the finalization of the rudder and its attachment to the hull.  Some photos follow.

Best,
Jerry

post-545-0-81387300-1422747790_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-37404700-1422747809_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-75726800-1422747819_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Happy February Jerry

I can't believe the progress you've made over the last 6 weeks or so and built to such a good standard.

I thoroughly enjoyed my full English breakfast yesterday but didn't get any time in the shipyard. I will commencing on a parallel build project, HMS Pegasus very soon. This will be done in slow time, perfecting build methods, such as a rabbet, prior to installation. There are some great build logs to follow by Blue Ensign, Spyglass, etc.

Glenn (UK)

Hey Jerry,

Your HM is moving right along...I think it took me 6 months, to get where you are in 6 wks!  nice job on the railings...I wouldn't give the painter his rum ration before starting though...

J

Hello Glenn..

Happy you enjoyed the English breakfast yesterday; I envy you.  I thought I heard a rumor that you were going to start a second model and now you have confirmed it.  Good for you.  I have all I can do to handle one at a time.  From what I have learned about you in the past I'll bet the Pegasus will be a beauty as is your Victory.  I hope you have space for both.  Today is Superbowl day (football) in the States and I'm really looking forward to it.  Best to you,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Good morning J..

Thanks for your comment on the railings but I must admit I don't uderstand what you meant about the painter.  Maybe I'm getting a bit senile in my old age.

I take it you'll be watching the Superbowl as will I so have a very enjoyable day.

Best,

Jerry

I may stay up late and catch some of the super bowl. Lets hope they have enough air for the balls this week!

Next week the 6 nations rugby union competition starts and I'm hoping England can win the Grand Slam this year and then do well in the world cup later in the year, but I think the All Blacks will lift that trophy again.

Glenn (UK)

Glenn..

With all the hot air put out by the New England club (Patriots)  I'm sure the balls will be inflated properly.  I don't know much about rugby but I do enjoy soccer and luckily the world cup was in progress when we were staying in Hertford so we immediately became UK fans.  I hope you're having a decent Sunday.

Best,

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hi Lawrence.  Thanks so much for your nice comments about the ship's hull.  I don't know how quietly I accomplished this task because if you were present in my ship yard at the time, there was a lot of loud words.  LOL.  Anyway, I'm happy to be where I'm at and I really look forward to making the pieces neccessary to place on the deck.  Some came with the kit; others are missing so I will make them.  Hope you and Bernie are having a warmer Sunday.

Best,

Jerry

Hello everyone...

Super Bowl Sunday has arrived and so has a handful of cleats.  Since Coral saw it fit to exclude the cleats from the kit I spent a little time today making a handful to mount on the forecastle deck and midship on the gunwales.  They are made from some stripwood and are 10mm wide with 4mm bases.  I thank Jay for his log and his description as to how he made his cleats.  I chose to paint them walnut (brown) as I plan to color several of the deck fittings the same color.  

So it's about an hour and a half from kickoff and I'm ready to spectate..

Best to everyone,

Jerry

post-545-0-14214100-1422825957_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-86880300-1422825971_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-70870600-1422825981_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-18092000-1422825992_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

You betcha!  For some reason there are two teams that I always rout against...The Dallas Cowboys because they are arrogant and call themselves, "America'sTeam."  I don't know why but I'm an American and they're not my team.. (New York Giants are my team.)  And I also don't like the Patriots because I think they're cheaters.  Best to you, Glenn,

Jerry

Hello David..

I am lucky because I have plenty of time on my hands so I spend as much as I can working the build.  I am really enjoying this one because it's more nlike a pet than a boat.  I think you know what I mean...So far everything i have done except for the finishing has been done while the model was in my lap.  Well,,,not everything but an awful lot.  That's why I said it was like a pet.  I think I'll call it a lapboat.  I spent a great deal of time today makiing cleats since apparently they're not supplied in the kit.  I'm not the only one who had to make them so i'm assuming that Corel expects one to make the cleats themselves. Tomorrow  I hope to fashion the additinal belaying pin racks (4 more) and seet them in place.  I hope to speak to you soon, young man and many thanks for the visit.

Best,
Jerry

Good evening everyone..I hope all is well.  Today was a fun day as I had to construct from stripwood various parts to apply to the deck.  The cleats that I made yesterday, the belaying pin racks, the bitts and the bollards required a little bit of carving.  I made the bitts and the bollards by first cutting the part to proper length, making a cut around the sides and then carving the slanting neck into each piece.  I did this by using my miter saw to make a single stroke very shallow cut in each of the four sides of the piece, each cut meeting the one on the adjacent side.  When I finished the cuts on all 4 sides I used my xacto knife, starting at the top and made a slanting slice until I reached the previous described cut made around the piece's girth.  I sanded the top at a slight angle to produce a fairly decent replica of what was shown in the drawings.  Tomorrow I plan on tackling the staghorns.  Here are some pictures of my recent activity.

Best, 

Jerry

post-545-0-57333100-1422916502_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-39999300-1422916519_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-44706000-1422916535_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-04101800-1422916549_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Glenn, I'm happy to have your comments...but I wish my work was worthy to show off.  Just a little report of where I'm at.  Tomorrow is another day and if all goes well i may have a few other deck pieces installed.  The kit was 12 belaying pins short (it figures) but luckily I had exactly 12 pins in my spare parts drawer and they were exactly the right size.  See you later......Best,

Jerry

Hello Brian.  There ain't no pirate in the world that's gonna get his hands on this ship.  Besides they're all floating somewhere off the coast of Somali.  Hope you're almost ready to begin your HM.  Best,

Jerry

Hi Lawrence.  Nice to hear from you.  Thanks so much for your very nice comment but I hate to tell you that you made a mistake.  No way am I going to finish HM by easter.  I expectto finish it by Valentine;s day.  No No No, just kidding.  I think sometime in the summer would be the best bet.    But I know that things will slow up because the directions for the rigging are miserable.  Well, we'll see, won't we?  Take care friend and look for me on Skype sometime....Best,

Jerry

just catching up with your build Jerry......you've definitely made some very nice progress!  :)     looks really sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Popeye..Thanks so much for the visit and for your much appreciated comments.  I'm really enjoying this build so far for as I mentioned in the past but I'm sure that sooner or later i'm going to run into something strange and need all the help I can get.  I have really appreciated J's and Alex's logs as they have been very helpful as I progress.  In fact, I copied J's use of the Billing's kit idea of placing cleats in the waist area of the ship instead of staghorns.  I'm sure this will allow a little bit more access for tying some of the rigging. (pictures attached.)

Please check in again and feel free to offer any criticism that you may have.

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-74715700-1422978633_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-64682300-1422978647_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-56126000-1422978660_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Greetings everyone..  A little more work done today which i'd like to report.  I decided to take it easy today and not spend too much time in the dry dock as I have a lot of errands to run.  So here it is:  In addition to placing the waist cleats I finished the forecastle doors, the on- deck ones and the vertical leading into the forecastle from the main deck.  I had a devil of a time making the door ring but managed with a very tiny eyelet left over from Victory.  I hope everyone has a nice evening.  Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-45869900-1422993928_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-70648200-1422993964_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-20792900-1422993976_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Thanks, J.. And it's a fun part of the build and I'm using your site for much reference.

Jery

Hello Brian.

You are very nice to have given me the compliment you did; I sincerely appreciate hearing from you.  The hinges came with the kit but i made the door "handle" my self.  I used a very small eyelet left over from my Victory build and a 1.5mm ring which I opened and ran through the eyelet.  Everything was then painted black.  Here is a picture to illustrate the sizes of the two components of the door handle. Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-09681100-1423013729_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

I can't leave the dry dock without writing about what I did today.  NOTHING MUCH....  I built the gratings and one ladder and installed them.  There wasn't anything unusual to report about that.  The material was exactly the right amount, thank goodness,. I think they have a special person in the kit assembly line that stands there and counts grating pieces.  He/she did a good job because, as I said, I had exactly the right number of milled pieces for thwe gratings. I also made the aft locker doors and attached them to the cabinets.  One thing though, I ran short of some strip wood but left overs from Victory came in handy.  Here are some pictures of today's progress:

Best,

Jerry

post-545-0-13601300-1423087953_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-15055300-1423087971_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-64175900-1423087985_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-61575900-1423087999_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

There's still plenty more deck fixtures to apply before the masts and yards come into being.  But you're correct Glenn; I'm getting close.

Greetings Jerry

Well there's lots been going on here, and all clever stuff to boot. So you returned to your victory left overs for help, and one of the best buys we ever made were those eyelets. Carry on with the good work. I am just about finished the vanishing of the decks. It feels like I have been scrubbing them . Regards DAVID