dumb question about spiling techniques

Most spiling I've seen is done on after-market sheet wood. You're right, the kit planks aren't really suitable for it.

Jerry

====================================

Currently building: Model Expo AMERICA, A/L KING OF THE MISSISSIPPI

Completed: Mamoli Victory cross-section, Revell LSM (Plastic, in memory of Dad), A/L SANSON tug, MS Longboat (awesome model Chuck!), Dumas 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Racing runabout, A/L SWIFT, MS ELSIE, Constructo ELIDIR (now LOUISE), Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Amati 1:80 Yacht ENDEAVOUR, Mamoli CONSTITUTION cross section, Revell VIIc U-boat (1:72 plastic), lotsa other plastic ships 

Next up: who knows - there are too many to choose from!

I dont use wider stock 90% of the time.  I usually bend my strips to the desired curve as shown below.  Only with the tightest and most extreme bends do I pre shape from a wider piece.  I have almost completed teh planking of the Cheerful hull but have five strakes to go.  These were left off because I am actually doing a tech session at this months club meeting.  It will be a step by step on how to spile and physically shape a strip so it fits perfectly against the hull.   Beveling the plank is must as well so it fits tight against the last one you placed on the hull.   It really helps...another must do...would be to line out the hull before you begin planking planking.  See the tutorials on this site.  There will be some spring back bending like this so its important to go a bit more...

Chuck

spile1.jpg

plankbending.gif

post-2-0-19135900-1419380528_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-57835500-1419380528_thumb.jpg

Hey there,

I started planking AL's Harvey following their instructions and a couple weeks ago I got fed up with their layout. So, l peeled off what I had done except the garboard strake and the deckline plank and just started lining off for the new planks yesterday. This will be my first attempt at spiling planks.

Seeing your post I ran down and just traced what the first plank would look like. I took a few pics to show how much curve there is especially at the bow and stern. I held a plank from the kit at the midship bulkhead positions and you can see how far out the piece is.

post-3853-0-74069900-1424016719_thumb.jpg

post-3853-0-96882400-1424016887_thumb.jpg

And here I'm holding a kit plank to the stern so you can see it compared to the widths I have marked.

post-3853-0-05548000-1424017015_thumb.jpg

You're right, the curved shape of the spiled planks means that the kit ones need to be put aside. I had a 1"x 3" piece of mahagony that I resawed into 1/8" thick x 3" wide planks (it's what I taped the trace to). I'm going to cut the new planks off of these.

I suppose you could try gluing them edge-to-edge to make wider material, but I think you might have trouble when you bend them to the curve of the hull.

Current builds:
Harvey, Baltimore Clipper - Artesania Latina
HMS Triton Cross Section, 18th Century Frigate - online scratch build
HMCS Agassiz, WW2 Flower-Class Corvette - HMV - card model

Completed:
Swift, Pilot Schooner - Artesania Latina --- Build log --- Gallery

Skeeter, Ship-in-Bottle - Ships a Sailin' kit --- Build log

Santa Maria, Caravel - Artesania Latina --- Build log

Ok, seeing that Chuck has responded while I was typing my post...I'd listen to him!

Bowing deeply,

Gabe

Current builds:
Harvey, Baltimore Clipper - Artesania Latina
HMS Triton Cross Section, 18th Century Frigate - online scratch build
HMCS Agassiz, WW2 Flower-Class Corvette - HMV - card model

Completed:
Swift, Pilot Schooner - Artesania Latina --- Build log --- Gallery

Skeeter, Ship-in-Bottle - Ships a Sailin' kit --- Build log

Santa Maria, Caravel - Artesania Latina --- Build log

Chuck,

I plank my hulls similar to how you described and have a couple of questions about the edge beveling: 

Do you bevel both edges or just one edge of the plank? 

How do you determine the angle of the beveling?  Do you have a way to measure the angle and then bisect the angle? Or other? 

Thanks, Dee Dee

post-206-0-17067700-1443314495_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dee_Dee

Current Build

- Glad Tidings -MS  

Completed Builds

- Dragon - Corel - One design International Class Yacht

- Sloup Coquillier / Shell Fish Sloop - Corel - Based on 'Bergere de Domremy / Shepherdess from Domremy

- Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack - Scratch build based on drawings from Chapelle's book "American Small Sailing Craft" 

On the Shelf

- Gretel-Mamoli     - Emma C. Berry-MS    - Chesapeake Bay Pilot Boat, Semi-scratch 

Find yourself hoping you never reach your destination

I just bevel one edge on the plank yet to be secured.  I dont get crazy about matching it perfectly.  It usually works out fine.  I bevel a little and then test it.  If its a tight seem...then great.  If not,  then I bevel a bit more.   Then I use a number 2 pencil to darken that edge to simulate the caulking.  Just that one edge.

Chuck

It helps to keep your plank less than full length as well.  There will be less curve needing to be cut if you stick to traditional lengths.  Note all the butt joints on Chuck's model.