How much Titebond or other glues do you use over a years time?

Ahoy Mates

Just finished another bottle  8 oz. bottle of Titebond today. Over the past year I have used up a total of 16 oz of Titeband and one  1 oz each of med. and thick CA glue bottles. I am not using CA for anything other than where I have to. Over the last year I have become sensative to its fumes.

Just slows down the building, but now I do not have to pry the fingers away from a plank or two.

I have found that I am building better by not having to be in a hurry to just hold it down,now I have to plan my clamping more and doing a better job at it.

With CA I have found looking back at what I had done,that I was just depending on holding it in place by my hand instead of clamping,which when it did not harden fast,caused problems with it moving out of place.

And using excelerator did not always work out well. I did have a fresh bottle of CA,but do not know its real age.

From what I have read latly CA over time has some real problems,in hardening to a brittle point and causing thread to break from also being brittle.

What has been your luck or lack of on CA,and how much do you use of these glues? And how about you finger sticking  stories?

Keith

Well, my wife would answer with THOUSANDS of dollars because she is always pointing out that it seems every time I go to the store, I buy various types of glue. But I look at it more like how much glue do I use per model and that is any where from $100.00 to $200.00 depending on the size, complexity of the model and how low my stash of glue is getting. I use primarily CA glue and have for the past 15 years on well over 20 or so models and have not had any issues with it. But you must understand the basic principles of using CA glues, like fumes, quick set and the ability to make what ever you are gluing at bit brittle at the joint as well as over bloom. I used to use water based glues on hull and deck planking, but I found that it was very messy and would stain the wood, or would not allow wood stains to penetrate the glue and made the finish very poor. I also have CA fingers most of the time, so I know that I'm in the middle of a build.

Mike   

I try to keep my use of CA glue to an absolute minimum and use only the gel variety (except when fixing copper plates) I have found that quick set PVA glue such as selleys Aquadhere Quickset ( not sure if that available outside Australia) dries enough to hold almost any wood in place in about 2 - 3 minutes. When glueing planks around a bend such as a bow, I use a small amount of CA gel on the end of the plank to give an instant bond and apply Quickset PVA to the rest of the plank. One 500 ml bottle of this PVA Quickset normally lasts me for at least 2 builds.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Brian, was it the quickset variety? It is pretty thin but sets very quickly.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Uh... I don't keep track since I really don't want to know.  ;)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm like Mark.  I don't keep track....but I always have reserve.

You can sand the CA off of your fingers with 150 grit sandpaper on a sanding block.  Saves on acetone!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hmmm... hard to tell how much in a year, and it varies from year to year. The year(s) in which I work on hull and decks I use plenty, while in the year I spend in rigging, it's a minimum.  What I can say is that I barely use CA and try to avoid it at all. I use Titebond or Gorilla Wood Glue (not the foaming type) for gluing wood to wood, and 5 min epoxy for dissimilar materials.

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Consider how you use a glue. For those very tiny applications you don't want to dispense directly from a bottle :angry:

When it comes to epoxy, in particular, I mix small batches with a toothpick on a piece of very smooth scrap wood. I do the same with Titebond or 'carpenters glue' and even CA if necessary. I am a cheap skate and use both sides of the 'scrap wood'.

Round toothpicks are excellent applicators.

But like Ulises mentioned above, if I am building furniture (like the display case in the works for my Connie) I use quite a bit, but still not a whole bottle. I hate scraping glue of my fingers and the work I am doing. The less the better.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Ahoy Mates

I use a couple of dividers from a parts box as glue boards. They are made out of polyproeleen9sorry about spelling) nothing sticks to this plastic. Either PVA or CA. After the glue dries, I just flex the divider and the glue comes right off. I have about 3 that I use i n tag team manner.

Keith

I use pieces of plastic bags as my glue "palette" and like Jay a round toothpick or an unbent paper clip. As that old ad said, "a little dab will do ya". Neatness does count! :)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild