Tapering masts, spars and yards

Hi,

I'm seeking advice regarding the preferred way of tapering masts and spars etc. Are spokeshaves a sensible option, and if so where (in the UK) is the best place to acquire them?

Any other methods used by members?

Bryan

Completed build Caronada Francese

Completed build Posto di Combattimanto

Current build Navio Rayo - Puesto de Combate

Current build HMS Bounty

Completed build HMS Victory Cross Section

Completed build HM Brig "Supply"

Completed build The Lady Nelson

You would need to use a very small spokeshave. There are a number of techniques that can be used to round the masts. One is to flatten the sides evenly to the correct diameter, then round the corners out. Another method is to turn the dowel in a drill or lathe and use files and sandpaper to bring them down. This is the method that I use.  Of course, for many masts and spars, you end up doing a bit of all of the methods since there are flattened sections of the spar and other areas where it tapers down to toothpicks.

I would suggest that you go to the hardware store and purchase dowels slightly larger than you need and start experimenting with the various methods until you find the one that works best for you. This will also give you spare material should you break one.

If you do a search of this forum using key words you will find examples of all of the above and more.

Bill

Chantilly, VA

Its not the size of the ship, but the bore of the cannon!

Current Build: Scratch Build Brig Eagle

Completed Build Log: USS Constitution - Mamoli

Completed Build Gallery: USS Constitution - Mamoli

A jig to hold the square and tapered blank at 45 degrees, a small plane or chisel to make it eight-sided, then sandpaper to round is the most reliable way. I use a very well honed chisel, bevel side down, myself.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks guys, all welcome suggestions, but I've already started with my own typically rough and ready method. I've clamped my cordless Dremel 7700 securely in a vice with a sander drum in the chuck and, at low speed, wearing safety specs, moved and rotated the spars etc delicately across the drum. Its probably not a very health & safety accredited method and great care has to be taken, but its done a fair job. The spars will now be finished with sandpaper. 

Completed build Caronada Francese

Completed build Posto di Combattimanto

Current build Navio Rayo - Puesto de Combate

Current build HMS Bounty

Completed build HMS Victory Cross Section

Completed build HM Brig "Supply"

Completed build The Lady Nelson

There's an article in the attached e-magazine I downloaded a number of years ago. It was free without registration, so I don't think there should be any problems with attaching it, especially as the site has now closed. Its in a 'booklet' format, so you have to go 'page by page.

It may be of use

Al

001_Journal.pdf

Use a small block plane and shape the spar then I put in a mototool and with sandpaper smooth it out this works for me.

David B

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest that you go to the hardware store and purchase dowels slightly larger than you need and start experimenting with the various methods until you find the one that works best for you. This will also give you spare material should you break one.

I'm using this practice method myself right now to get down a technique. Home Depot has dowels in the mouldings section that are the exact right sizes for masts and spars, and are perfect practice material.

For those that do want to go with block planes or spokeshaves, Lee Valley has a particularly fine collection of mini wood-shaping tools perfect for working with small dowels and wood shapes.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=70138&cat=1,41182

Edited by Kevin M

For those that do want to go with block planes or spokeshaves, Lee Valley has a particularly fine collection of mini wood-shaping tools perfect for working with small dowels and wood shapes.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=70138&cat=1,41182

I have that exact set and they work well. Very well sharpened also.

There's an article in the attached e-magazine I downloaded a number of years ago. It was free without registration, so I don't think there should be any problems with attaching it, especially as the site has now closed. Its in a 'booklet' format, so you have to go 'page by page.

It may be of use

Al

The group isn't defunct.  The Journal, now titled 'Warships to Workboats' is available at http://modelshipwrights.wikispaces.com/W2W_Archives though I don't think the very first one or two are there.

The purpose of the Journal is to spread information.  Please give the URL if you post anything, so more people can learn about the existence of this free, downloadable journal.  Please also be aware that some of our authors make their living through their writing so don't publish anything from the Journal without permission as the authors own any copyright, not the Journal.   At least two of our authors are members here also.

Edited by jbshan