Mare Nostrum by Worldway - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:35 - Fishing Trawler - First Wooden Ship Build

So wood should be soaked with hot water?  I have been using water from the cold tap.  Didn't think that would have made a difference.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

Bluenose - Model Shipways - 1:64 Scale

Fair American - Model Shipways - 1:48 Scale

HMS Winchelsea 1764 - Group Build

On Deck

Guns of History Naval Smoothbore Deck Gun - 1:24 Scale

Finished Builds

Mare Nostrum - Artesania Latina - 1:35 Scale

Guns of History Carronade - Model Shipways - 1:24 Scale

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

from my experience and what my father has told me ( was a boat builder now joiner ) cold water fills up the pores of the wood, making the wood softer.steaming wood really opens up the pores and makes the wood nice and flexible (dry method as pores are not full of water) soaking the boards in hot water does a bit of both but the pores become full of water this requires you to let the water dry out before gluing as the board is at its most wide because it has swelled a lot.

Cheers Rexy

Thanks all, that really helps a lot.

Derek

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea  

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

So how long would one keep it in hot water

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I made a small investment today in a cordless curling iron.  I soaked the wood in cold water for about 3 minutes then applied the heat from the curling iron. That certainly made the job a lot easier.  However,I think because of all the soaking and drying the wood is starting to splinter a bit.  Hopefully I can make it work because I don't really have any spare.

post-26154-0-40334100-1483812881_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-39576300-1483812882_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I am having issues with the fit of the top rail.  Once again nothing is lining up correctly.

post-26154-0-13267400-1484177908_thumb.jpg

post-26154-0-50199900-1484177909_thumb.jpg

I added a piece on the top of the keel to try to hide errors then cut the prefabricated top rail and added a piece on.

post-26154-0-73256900-1484177910_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-65277300-1484177911_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-19767000-1484177913_thumb.jpg

It makes the fit a lot better but it's still not perfect and the added piece is very noticeable.  I'm not sure if i can wood fill my way out of this one.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I think the point here is, you're building a model and you're using the materials you've got available.

Me, I'd probably look online and see if I could buy some suitable timber that I could cut to shape. But of course, not everyone can afford to (or be bothered to) do that.

Your solution looks as though it can work. You'll need to do some careful work with files and/or sandpaper to make everything align decently, but you obviously have a constructive approach to problems like this.

Keep going. I'm certain you'll end up with a model you'll feel proud to have built!

Your right but I think I have spent enough on this model. I had thought about purchasing more wood to fix the error but I'm done spending money on this.  I still plan to finish a model that is acceptable on display. Like you said, I'll sand and shape and do whatever I can to make it presentable.  I ran into a similar problem with the rubbing strakes.  Because of limited material I had to add a 5 cm piece to the end of one length.  It looks horrible but again, I wasn't willing to buy more material.  This is and always has been a learning model.  In the end, if I have to relegate it to the trash bin, I will.  But I have learned a ton from this.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I tried adding some veneer to the top rails but wasn't pleased with the results so pulled it off. I decided to use what I have and with the use of some wood fill I have managed to make them look somewhat presentable (although others may disagree)  ;)

post-26154-0-53369900-1484700139_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-52335900-1484700140_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-56316400-1484700143_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-38594600-1484700144_thumb.jpg

I have also added some polyurethane to a lot of the deck furniture.

post-26154-0-00367800-1484700142_thumb.jpg

I'm still moving forward.  Looking forward to the day that all the deck furniture is installed and I can work on the rigging.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to spend as much time as I wanted on it but it's not a rushed project.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Sometimes I think that my imperfections just make the boat look weathered more.  I finished the top rails and polyurethaned it.  It's starting to take shape. I was very discouraged after my several attempts with the top rail, and once again I did a lot of rework, but I'm happy with the results.  This model almost met the side of a wall but alas it still sits in the dry dock.  I think all the really difficult parts are done (however, there is still a little rigging to do).  I'm anxious to finish this one so I can start in on the Bluenose.

post-26154-0-16217100-1484785521_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-07727600-1484785522_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-26629300-1484785523_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-52140700-1484785524_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Looking good Derek, and you are doing a great job overcoming some of the problems we all face

Well I'm starting to see a little light at the end of the tunnel.  Things are starting to take shape.  A couple of issues I have dealt with.

1. The glass knob for the winch brake system broke on me so I just installed the one hand brake.

2. I decided not to install the window ledges or grabs bar on the ends of the wheel house.

3. I didn't have any wood for the engine cover.  So, because I have tons of basswood left over, I decided to cover it with that and will use veneer to cover it over.

4. I have decide not to edge the sliding doors with brass wire.  I've tried and I find it far too finicky to stress over it.  I will edge it with veneer and leave it at that.

I truly think they screwed up when they packaged the model and I was too new to the hobby and too excited to get started to do a full inventory.  I know I used some wrong woods during the build but I don't think I screwed up so bad that I'm running out of one type of wood and have an excess of another.

post-26154-0-83968000-1484871341_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-05585300-1484871343_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I have had a re-think of my approach and figure that if I'm going to get any better at model ship building then I have to accept each challenge as they arrive. Therefore I have edged the sliding doors.  Also I will install the window ledges and grab bars on the wheel house. I'm not going to spend any more money on this model so I'm not going to buy glass knobs so I can install the second brake handle.

post-26154-0-95235600-1484960848_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-68325200-1484960849_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-06528200-1484960851_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Thanks Pierre, I have really been enjoying this although some of my posts may have suggested otherwise. I'm pleased with my progress so far even if it isn't museum quality.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

I'm still not sure how good I'll be at this. Museum quality comes with years of experience and trial and error. What I like about following these builds is that you can learn from others...making the learning curve so much easier. Although I am still aways from starting my next build it's nice to read and reasearch to see what lays ahead, and try to avoid making some rookie mistakes...

Keep up the good work my friend...

PS... like your Interest comment "Driving my wife nuts. She suggested I get a hobby."

I recently retired at the age of 50...and she said the same to me....Looks like this is how many get in this hobby.

Pierre.:10_1_10:

All in all it's pretty relaxing when you just take your time.....

Current build

Santa Maria by MarisStella

Completed

Batelina by MarisStella

Today I finished the wheel house.  I added the window ledges and grab bars.  I also finished the sliding doors.  I still have to finish the engine cover and hatchway.  Once done then I will permanently attach the deck furniture then work on the mast and rigging.

post-26154-0-41960700-1485120744_thumb.jpg

post-26154-0-57510300-1485120743_thumb.jpg

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Continuing with the build. I figured I should finish little bits that haven't been done yet. I ran into a problem with the rudder, it didn't fit.

post-26154-0-63321100-1485307448_thumb.jpg

So I cut it back to make it work 

post-26154-0-94081100-1485307450_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-68551600-1485307452_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-68835300-1485307453_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-99861700-1485307454_thumb.jpg

i then added some of the  rigging.

post-26154-0-11842900-1485307456_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-67601500-1485307457_thumb.jpgpost-26154-0-56373500-1485307458_thumb.jpg

Should be fixing deck furniture very soon.  I'm still finishing the engine cover and the hatchway.

Slowly moving forward but I am pleased with the results so far.  It's been a huge learning curve but I learn every day.  I'm seriously loving this hobby no matter how frustrating it gets.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

Well Brian. I just designed the plinth tonight and ordered a scroll saw blade to cut it.  Hopefully I'll have it done by the the end of the weekend.

210821 - My families birth dates.  Feb 21 for my son, March 8th for my other son and May 21 for my wife.

Austin - AU - son

Trudy - TRU - Admiral

Logan - LO - son

Edited by Worldway

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't fully finished the deck furniture but I have started some of the rigging.

post-26154-0-11554400-1486164001_thumb.jpg

I coated the ends of the lines with CA to stiffen them so I could get them through the holes.  It worked fine but I'm wondering what other methods you use to get the lines through the sometimes very small holes.  I have seen some suggestions such as a needle threader or tiny wire.

post-26154-0-94631500-1486164001_thumb.jpg

post-26154-0-65083800-1486164003_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to complete the deck furniture this weekend and get it all installed so I can concentrate on the rigging.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds

My two Cents worth,

Make a "Bodkin" on 20mm with a bit of CA to stiffen the thread/line that you want to thread through.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Thanks HOF.  I had to look up what a Bodkin is but I was hoping you could expand a bit because I'm not following your suggestion.

Derek

Antoine de Saint Exupery

Current Builds

On Deck

Finished Builds