I finally finished "Swift". I renamed her "Lucy.B." after our beloved golden retriever (my AVS was named after my wife!). I made a lot of changes to the stock kit. I've enclosed photos of the build, as well as a shot of the stock kit box to point out the differences. Here's a list of the changes I made:
- Switched out wood, using boxwood, cherry, rosewood, maple and blood wood.
- Eliminated the bitt over the bowsprit
- Fitted the sprit to the deck with a metal bracket (more authentic)
- Gammoned the sprit to the stem
- Added knightheads and catheads to the bow
- Added a scuttle to stow the anchor lines below deck
- Scratch-built a windlass
- Made deeper channels for the chain plates so the lanyards didn't rub against the top rail
- Fabricated tubular brass vents for the holds
- Add metal grab bars and ports to the deck cabins
-Scratch built the elm tree pump
- reworked the tiller to bring it to scale
- Redid the knee bracing in the cockpit with beefier cherry
- Replaced all cleats with scale cleats (the supplied AL cleats are 2 scale feet across!)
- Redid the rudder.
- Switched all blocks to Syren blocks
Here are some photos. I hope you enjoy them!
Edited by DocBlake, 09 May 2015 - 03:28 PM.