Section Deck Between Gunbays by mikiek - FINISHED - Panart - 1:23

Thank you Paul, and thanks for all your input. I'm making the cartridge buckets this evening with your idea of cutting the 'top' off. Looks like it will work well.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

The canvas on my pic is basically a 'bag' that sits between the stanchions, with sides, ends and bottom.  I have yet to add two more horizontal runs of line (based on a print I have of a period painting) and still have to work out how to cover the top of everything with a flap to keep the water out.  I think the canvas will have lashings at each stanchion at the level where the lashing lines cross, and perhaps another in the middle where the X's cross.  The cover will be sewn on the outside, with the ends and inside lashed down, perhaps with an overlap as far down as halfway on the stanchions.  All up in the air (or stuck in my head) at the moment.

Looks good Mike, I never realised or thought of the purpose of the canvas but it all certainly makes sense. I do, however, like how you left the inside with not canvas I also like the looks of it. Good stuff!!

Working on the Niagara version tonite. That's a dilemma I'm in Joel. I don't like the look of the flap going over the stanchion. I'm working on a version with the flap inside the stanchion. Have to wait until tomorrow now. I'm using the same piece of material for canvas & hammocks and it all blends together. I've dyed the canvas so it will contrast with the hammocks and have to wait for it to dry.

Most of the canvas is wrapped around a square stick and dowel used as a filler (pix in my Niagara log). I left the last 3" of the canvas empty and put it all between the stanchions. Then I folded the corner of the canvas back and shoved in 5 little hammocks doubled over. The hammocks look OK but the the filler looks a little "hard" - like the canvas is wrapped around wood. Going to try wrapping some material around the wood before wrapping the canvas around it. That might "soften" the look some.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Cartridge buckets done :) but not yet installed :(

I'm wondering about the rope handle.

post-22218-0-75977300-1485638114_thumb.jpg

Is that really supposed to be rope? Kit pix showed it black. That would make it tarred? Maybe a cable or wire?

I'm asking because if it is rope then they probably would not be sticking up in the air and probably not black. I would think rope would be flopped over to the side.

How's that for obsessing? :P

From an auction listing, I found information including .... "powder buckets were used in the 18th-19th century to carry a cartridge or pre-measured charges of powder from a powder magazine to a cannon." The cartridge was a flannel or paper or parchment bag containing a measured amount of gunpowder but I also found a slight reference to thin lead sheets being used in early American vessels." My understanding is that there were enclosed buckets for carrying loose gunpowder so maybe the term 'catridge buckets' would be more applicable than the auction house term 'powder bucket' ?

The attached image showing two such leather buckets [ 27.5 inches high (approx. 690 mm.) x 16 inches diameter (approx. 406 mm.)]. might assist the previous question about rope being used buckets. These buckets are lined with zinc.

To be honest, I would like to know more about these buckets and about the cartridges they contained.

Pete

post-593-0-46570900-1485656509.jpg

Edited by piratepete007

Great information Pete. Thank you! and the pic is helpful as well. It's hard to tell but the buckets look like they're made of metal?

The first cartridges were made from canvas and parchment showed up in the mid to late 17th century. Cartridges might have been issued or could be made on board, particularly the canvas ones. Parchment didn't store well long term so there was a transition to cartridge paper which was actually made from linen. Parchment was pretty much gone by the mid 18th century. The problem with paper was the tendency to absorb moisture and difficulty folding into shape. If not done properly pieces of the cartridge would remain in the barrel after ignition which would require constant cleaning. Not a good thing in the middle of a battle. At about the end of the 18th century a paper cartridge with a flannel bottom began to be used in an effort to deal with the ignition problem. All flannel cartridges were also in use but they were costly.

Cartridges were issued empty and had to be filled by the gunner. Early on the gunner had to measure out each charge of powder. This was carefully done as any damage to ship or gun caused by an improper load had to be paid for by the gunner. There were different loads for different sized guns and also for different projectiles. Later on, standard measures were issued and the cartridge loading process became easier and less error prone.

That's interesting Pete. They look pretty solid.

Mike - sorry to be hijacking your post but I find this research fascinating. Checked that auction site again, and yes, the outer casing is described as leather. 

However, just for comparison, I found this cartridge bucket (circa 1800) which is described as a "wood barrel formed from thin strips with three bolsters, covered with canvas inside and out, having brass circular lashing hardware affixed with copper, hand peened rivets for fastening a carrying strap. Overall painted blue and decorated on the front with the Royal Coat of Arms of England". So there is another thought .... straps or rope seized around those rivets ?

post-593-0-37683000-1485671281.png

Hey Pete - you're right on topic now. No worries.

Would sure be cool to see one of those in person. What a beautiful emblem this one has! They must coat those things with something. This has a metallic looking finish as well. The bolsters don't look like a separate piece.

I'm calling this one done! It has been a fun build, working at 1/2" scale is very cool. Wish I could build a ship in that scale. The kit wasn't without problems though. Obviously, being foreign made there is a language problem with the plans and instructions. Also the plans and instructions did not agree on some structures. I've also noticed the sizing is off in places - a handrail that's almost as tall as a person; there's over 6' of headroom on the gundeck.

Those things aside, I'm glad I did this kit and would recommend it to others. Now to figure out how to change the log title to Finished  :)

A big thank you to everyone that has followed and helped out along the way! :10_1_10:

Here's some final pix.

post-22218-0-58251200-1485969496_thumb.jpg

post-22218-0-26644500-1485969506_thumb.jpg

post-22218-0-75384600-1485969518_thumb.jpg

post-22218-0-94331500-1485969528_thumb.jpg

post-22218-0-01330800-1485969540_thumb.jpg

post-22218-0-04767000-1485969549_thumb.jpg

post-22218-0-61881800-1485969561_thumb.jpg

post-22218-0-90363200-1485969571_thumb.jpg

post-22218-0-30792700-1485969581_thumb.jpg

post-22218-0-68484800-1485969592_thumb.jpg

post-22218-0-64302500-1485969606_thumb.jpg

post-22218-0-84874600-1485969616_thumb.jpg

post-22218-0-20678500-1485969628_thumb.jpg

Thank you Ken.

I appreciate that Paul and thank you for your assistance.

Mike,

What is the size of the gunbay section?

It looks really big and you have done justice to the idea of how it should look like....

Very nice!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Per thank you. The kit is 1:23. The footprint is 10"x9" and 7" tall.

Many thanks Joel. As always your input is appreciated. 

Very sweet job Mike, well done!!

Thanks Don. It was a fun build. I love that big scale. Even my fat fingers can handle it.

• 3 weeks later...

Now I can really put this one to bed!DSC01737.thumb.JPG.dabf550a13821e2297bfd077a13e64ce.JPG

• 1 month later...

Looks very nice. Congratulations

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

Thank you Joe. I think it adds something to the display. Kinda makes it look a little like something in a museum, plus the build is still clean after 3-4 months on display. That's saying something given that the cats sleep on a sofa back right next to it.

Oh yes, I found a local shop that makes all sorts of things with plastics. This one was a little pricey as I had them build a base stand as well as the case.