How to proceed with masts etc.

Telp

Hi all

I am not sure if this goes into my log build or here, but I will take a chance.

I will soon be looking at starting on the masts on my HM Brig Supply, I am after some advice please as to should I place the masts at the start or build the mast furnishings and yard arms then fit the masts. I realise that some rigging has to be completed on the yard arms as such so I was checking how others proceed at this same point, Would welcome any feedback from supply builders who may have info to offer on a good way to work.

Many thanks

Terry

Current build: Caldercraft 1:64 HM Brig Supply

Finished builds: HMS Endeavours longboat

Terry, 

It will boil down to what works for you. Many of us find it's easier to work the masts and yards off ship.  Get as much done as possible and then step.  Others go the other way and build the masting and yards up in place.    I personally find getting as much done off ship works best for me.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I tried building masts and spars on the ship but turns out its 100 times easier to get as much done as possible before fitting to the ship. I build up everything for the masts, Then install them on the ship. Then I get everything done on the spars then attach them to the masts. Best of luck.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

• 3 weeks later...

I need some clarification...
I've built and rigged the blocks to the mast with the exception of the shrouds lines...
I am building the yards off model...
Should I add the shroud lines to the masts step the masts and set the shrouds before mounting the completed yards or attach yards to the mast, step them and then set the shrouds.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Generally, it's easier to hang the yards before stepping the masts as things quickly get a bit tight on ship.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I agree with Mark. On my brig, I found it very useful to hang all of the yards, attach all of the upper shrouds, seize every block I could think of, run every running rigging line reasonable (lifts, clews etc) BEFORE I stepped the masts. I left the course yard off figuring it would be in the way when I rigged the lower shrouds that had to be done after the mast was stepped.

Rule of thumb. Better to work sitting down with the mast on your bench than standing hunched over a fragile ship and reaching into a maize of rope and spars.

I'm in the middle of an epic fight with yard, mast, sail and countless lines at the moment.

So glad I'm doing this on my desk instead of on the ship!

Still struggling, but I'm sure it's easier this way.  :)

Edited by Robin Lous

WIP: No ships atm...sorry!🙄

Completed: Greek bireme - Dusek - scale 1:72

Louie da fly: "I think it requires a special kind of insanity to choose a galley to build a model of."