Dharma66

Hello from Manchester, UK

Hi,

I've been lurking a while, and reading lots of information on this site.

I'm brand new to wooden ship modelling, so new in fact, that I haven't yet started! I've done some plastic modelling over the years, mostly aircraft, but wooden ships have been percolating at the back of my mind for as long as I can remember. I've decided now is the time to try.

I think it will be a little while yet before I get so far as purchasing a kit. I have probably 90% of the tools required by, virtue of previous modelling, and having worked a little in wood for other purposes, such as building electric guitars (purely for fun). But what I am lacking is space. My "workshop" is currently more akin to Steptoe's yard than a useful area to work in. So, I need to do some rearranging, chucking out, and negotiating with the missus in order to reclaim my space.

This will, though, allow me to spend more time reading the couple of books I have, these fora, and the excellent articles at NRG.

And it will also give me a little more time to make what seems now to be a huge decision, but ultimately is probably not really that huge...which kit to build first? There *may* be another Lady Nelson on the way...

Posted (edited)

Hello Dharma. Is it City or United?

Guitar building seems to be a popular route into ship modelling, you should check out Julie Mo's J Class Endeavour Build. If you try a kit I think its well worth finding a relatively simple one, preferably plank on frame. The reward of rapid progress will spur you on to attempting something more demanding later on.

Good luck,

Edited by KeithAug
aviaamator likes this

Hello Dharma66 and welcome aboard,

Can you please tell us your name?

Whatever you decide for your first build, make sure it has your interest and that you really want to build it.

That way you'll be more likely to get through the trials and errors.

One of our members, Adam (SkerryAmp) has created 'The Model Ship World Ship Kit Database'. http://mswshipkits.ampitcher.com

You can search the database on skill level, manufacturer, scale, kit type etc. It is certainly worth having a look.

You also might have a look in the Ship Modeling Database of articles for information about Model Ship Kits - What to expect and Kit selection: http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-plans-and-research.php

I wish you smooth sailing and happy modelling.

Regards,

Anja

Gurnet and mtaylor like this

Thanks for the warm welcomes.

Im finally getting round to some clearing out this weekend. A couple of weeks and I should have some space back.

I've been reading lots of build logs, and though the planking seems a little awkward in parts (for a beginner), I'm thinking perhaps Pickle may be my first build.

I'll keep reading and pondering and try to make the final decision soon...

mtaylor likes this

Phil, same here starting out with wooden ships after doing other modelling. In the middle of rearranging the entire house to free up some indoor space and need to blitz the shed. Thought I would get away with working in the front room on my first kit, nope, need a committed space and the shed back in use ASAP!  ;) Will be thinking of you doing the same, I got a good start today but tons more to do before I will be really comfortable to get down to some serious modelling again.

Edited by GemmaJF
mtaylor, Dharma66 and aviaamator like this