Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How to Attach the Mast to the Yard?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

mkmossop

mkmossop

Officer Cadet

• Members
  • 32 posts

I'm not sure how to attach the yard to the mast.

I've attached a pic of someone else's model with the part I'm talking about circled in red.

So I thread some of those ball thingies and then loop it around the mast and then... how do I attach it to the yard mast? Just turn it around a couple times and then tie if off? Does anyone have a detailed picture of this?\

Thanks for any help!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN2977.JPG
  • DSCN3088.JPG

Dan Vadas

Dan Vadas

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationAbermain NSW Australia

G'day,

Here's a pic from James Lees' book "The Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625-1860" which may be of help to you :

Parrels.jpg

:cheers:  Danny

• Augie, maso and edmay like this

____________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds : HMS Vulture Scratchbuilt from TFFM books

Restoring a very rough Del Prado HMS Victory

Build Logs : Norfolk Sloop

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop, HMAT Supply, HMS Bounty, HMS Victory, Charles W. Morgan

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, Mississippi Riverboat,

"The measure and merit of an individual is not how they handle themselves in times of prosperity and good will, but how they handle themselves in times of turmoil and chaos"

mkmossop

mkmossop

Officer Cadet

• Members
  • 32 posts

Whoa cool thanks... that helps :D.

popeye2sea

popeye2sea

Lieutenant

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Dan,

Does Lee suggest that one of the parrel rope methods is older than the other.  I would think that the one that brings the end of the parrel strop to the deck to be the later of the two.

Henry

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

amateur

amateur

Commander

• Members
  • 847 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Wouldn't be too sure about that: in the 1600's

the left one (or variations on it) is assumed to be used on Dutch ships.

Jan

Dan Vadas

Dan Vadas

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationAbermain NSW Australia

Dan,

Does Lee suggest that one of the parrel rope methods is older than the other.  I would think that the one that brings the end of the parrel strop to the deck to be the later of the two.

According to Lees they are both of the same vintage. The one with the fall leading to the deck was used on yards that were raised/lowered and the other for those which didn't need lowering to furl the sail. Parrels were replaced by Truss Pendants around 1760.

Jan, most Navies copied a good idea from their opponents occasionally ;) :)  .

:cheers:  Danny

• edmay likes this

____________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds : HMS Vulture Scratchbuilt from TFFM books

Restoring a very rough Del Prado HMS Victory

Build Logs : Norfolk Sloop

Gallery : Norfolk Sloop, HMAT Supply, HMS Bounty, HMS Victory, Charles W. Morgan

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, Mississippi Riverboat,

"The measure and merit of an individual is not how they handle themselves in times of prosperity and good will, but how they handle themselves in times of turmoil and chaos"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.