3D printing tests (Form1+)

I thought I'd add a post/log here of my experience testing with the Form1+ printer. I've had a fair amount of experience with different 3D printers so I'll document my ramblings and it may be of some use to someone, who knows? The university recently bought a Form1+, and since I'm the printing nerd they've given it to me to set it up (and play with). We have access to a whole range of different FDM printers in the studio but they are all junk for creating very detailed parts. They are good for objects with large surface area and some other parts, but the amount of sanding and filling is their downfall - even with a coat of XTC.  

So the machine arrived today and I spent most of the day setting it up. I'll be busy getting all my CAD files ready for printing and I'll get a whole batch on tomorrow. From the first try, the machine prints very well and is incredibly easy to setup (compared to some others). Simple and fast to operate it certainly gives some commercial machines a run for their money. With the machine costing less than a 1/10th of the professional ones the quality loss isn't drastic either. 

My test print cannon is at a 1:64 scale just over 4cm in length. Printed at 0.05 mm (which translates into medium settings for the machine) took 2 hours to print. Cost came to £1 (matieral wise) using just under 10ml of resin. However cost of consumables would have to be added (the printing tray and the alchol solution).  

Iain

63e150b5-36c3-44c6-a2cf-305d50fd2233_zps

IMG_20150420_170354201_zpsjzmy8nq4.jpg?t

IMG_20150420_161756_zps8gkdb4rt.jpg?t=14

IMG_20150420_170146_zpstkbmf7mp.jpg?t=14

IMG_20150420_165819_zps6l4ooxwq.jpg?t=14
Edited by iMack

Interesting configuration, Iain. Is there a reason for the angle you oriented the piece at, as well as so many supporting sprues (for lack of knowing the correct term)? Also, what would be the print time at fine resolution?

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

The print is angled as the machine likes to print on a skewed orientation. That's what result in so much support structure (basically a sprue as you mentioned). Handily you can set the point size so that they can easily snap off however. An alternative (and probably wiser) way would be to print the model in several parts as dvm suggested. 

The reason the machine prints skewed, is just a result the way the printer functions. I believe this is due to the 'peeling' process that is involved with the bed. Each time a laser shoots towards the bed (the plate that holds the resin) it tilts downwards, allowing the model to peel off. The plate holding the model then moves upwards, and the same process then happens again. If I remember right that model was about 700 'peels' 

On high resolution (0.025mm) it'll take 4h20. Quite a drastic difference in time. Maybe I'll get a chance this week to give it a try and compare surface quality between the 3. 

Cannon 1:64

0.10mm   :  1hr

0.05mm   :  2hr

0.025mm : 4hr20

/Iain 

Edited by iMack

hey druxey, 

yeah they are all resin based - there aren't many materials available unfortunately. They have the standard resins with different colours, a 'castable' resin (wax based) used for investment casting in jewlery and a flexible resin. But that's it. That is one of the downsides with this machine. 

/Iain

Edited by iMack

Here's some of the progress today. I've put some higher res images here compared to the last so you can have a better look (without too much eye squinting). I wanted to do some tests to see how the quality was after a coat of paint. I was suprised that it had such a good surface without any sanding or work done to it (par clipping), I had thought the slight residue that was left might prohibit a nice coat. They were sprayed with cellulose paint (they are just testers, so don't worry about my colour choices).

They are all printed 0.05mm apart form the red one which was done at 0.1mm. Detail does look more dull, but the trade off is it takes half the amount of time. It took 4h20mins for 9 cannons at medium detail (0.05mm)

I went further adding a coat of high gloss to see if it could pick up and reflect any imperfections in the print - very little stood out. 

Iain 

IMG_20150421_155348_zpswrtficya.jpg

IMG_20150421_154126_zpsmvyafrl9.jpg

IMG_20150422_162708_zpswicinu2t.jpg

IMG_20150422_163433_zpsn7vnak8h.jpg

IMG_20150422_163422_zpsixpqlbbs.jpg

Edited by iMack

Well that's the question. I know I would get a lot of use out of it since I study a modelmaking degree course and use them for adding detail to traditional clay sculpts to architectural models or film props. The machine itself costs £2,400 along with the starter kit and a pot of resin. A pot of resin alone costs about £100. Onto that you have an alcohol solution to clean them in after. So they aren't cheap. In theory you could get 180 cannons at 1:64 scale out of a bottle of resin costing (an estimated) about £1.60 each. (taking into account resin, cleaning solution, consumable bed)

I am wondering, would people be interested in buying these sort of prints if they were £2-3? Or is the boat community much more after having a wooden carriage with a brass cannon? The advantage is being able to print out models at any scale. 

Iain 

Edited by iMack

Druxey,

Jerry's Macedonian is RC and will get wet. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)