Portland by chborgm - FINISHED - BlueJacket Shipcrafters

Hi CH,

Have been wanting to build the Portland for the past 10 years or so but didn't think I had the skills. I now

have been offered the kit, original version, for just $30 from a close friend. Will definitely take him up on this.

Want to see what it involves before I order the newer laser cut version. I see that you put her together in

just 6 months. Approximately how many hours?

I'm 75 and recovering from radical cancer surgery. Looking for a project to carry me through the winter. Hope

I have the energy. Your profile gives me much encouragement. Any thoughts would be welcome.

John Elwood

I am not that familiar with the old kit other than the railings are net on the older version and photo etched brass on the newer one. I would talk to Nic at Bluejacket to get better comments on that.

Someone once mentioned that you had to be a miniature carpenter to build a steamship model.

that may be close because of all the wood work.

As I noted up front in the log because of scale I used the smallest wood available, and eliminated some strips which I felt were to big, scalewise, for the location.

I did relearn that with these lazer cut models you have to be as precise as possible when fitting the pieces together. If not errors can be carried forward to cause problems where you don't want them

The kit is not hard to build. I made it a little harder by putting lights in it but I am glad that I did

If you build it stay in touch

Clarence 

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Clarence,

a wonderful model of the "Portland"  :) :)..

​Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 2 months later...

Hi Clarence,

I just finished fairing the older hull for the PORTLAND after about 10 hours of sanding and filling. Will be picking up the newer kit

from Nic at the big conference in New London end of month.  In talking with him I find that the newer hull is 1/2 inch longer. Might

try adding a 1/2 inch section with some wood from the older kit. Question: Is the keel 1/8 square basswood or a smaller size? The

plan sheet shows it at 1/8. The sponsons look to be a big PITA. Guess I'll have many questions once I get started.

John

My keel is about an 1/8th x 1/4. I can only eyeball it since it is on a stand and can't measure' From  scale stand point that would be 1' x 2' sounds about right.

Good luck with your model. Let me know when you start a build forum.

clarence

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

I am worrking on another steamer. "Mississippi Riverboat"  check it our

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12537-mississippi-riverboat-by-chborgm-mantua-scale-150/

Flying Fish --  MSW

Essex ---  MSW

Constitution  --  MSW

Confederacy -- MSW

Philadelphia -- MSW 

Chaperon -- MSW

San Felipe -- Panart

Portland -- Bluejacket

• 1 year later...

Hi Clarence,

Hope you don't mind but I thought I'd send some pics of my Portland as of today. After 16 months from the start, I finally got the hurricane deck painted and

temporarily in place.  Age related medical issues have weakened my resolve but I'm still going forth. Thus far this seems to be the easier part of the build. The

instructions from here on are extremely lacking in detail. Also, the upper rub rail and remaining trim will be painted white as shown in photos of the prototype.

This has not been an easy challenge.

Be good my friend,

John Elwood

IMG_0003_opt (4).jpg

IMG_0004_opt (1).jpg

IMG_0005_opt (2).jpg