Tiller rigging

I am working on a Baltimore Clipper model and have a tiller, but know helm. I've seen pics that show some lines attached to the tiller that don't seem to attach to anything else .... I can't figure their purpose or advantage. 

There is a pair of blocks attached to the man-end of the tiller, which have lines rove thru them to a pair of blocks at the deck, and a line running across the deck.  If there was a helm to which they attached, I'd get it. But, steering is only with a tiller. 

Can anyone enlighten me?

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

To maintain a course the sails, wind and current must be balanced. Suspect that the tiller is often used as part of the action by using forward speed and a tiller aligned off center. Holding a rudder off center requires force and the action of the sea, roll and pitch would beat up the tiller-man so block and tackles were used to aid in steering and to absorb much of the tiller shock, allowing one man to handle the tiller by moving across the deck with the bitter end of each tackle in hand. Be interesting to see what those who have used this setup say, I have only steered using a wheel, paddle or oars, never a tiller.

Tackles on a tiller seems to have been a common arrangement, at least on smaller merchant vessels, well into the 19th century. This simple arrangement with four blocks certainly was cheaper and easier to maintain than a steering-wheel that would have had to have guiding blocks in addition.

The arrangement with the tackles has also one mechanical advantage over the steering-wheel in the sense that you can effectively block the tiller in position, while still being able to control it, which is difficult to do with a wheel. Tillers typically had a sort of belaying-pin at the man-end, around which the runners could be slung with a half-hitch. This allows positive control over the tackles by easing the hitch. A wheel would have to be lashed down at the handles.

I effectively used this technique to steady the tiller in strong winds when boat-sailing by using the free end of the main sheet ...

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Here is a pic of the tiller rigging I was referring to. It doesn't seem to do anything. 

IMG_0525.JPG

Steve

"If they suspect me of intelligence, I am sure it will soon blow over, ha, ha, ha!"

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

Yankee Hero, Fannie Gorham, We’re Here, Dapper Tom (x3), New Bedford Whaler, US Brig Lawrence (Niagara), Wyoming (half hull), Fra Berlanga (half hull), Gokstad Viking Ship, Kate Cory, Charles Morgan, Gjoa

I don't know what model this is, but the rigging doesn't seem to be completely correct. In principle there are four single blocks, two are hooked to eye-bolts in the waterways and two are stropped to the tiller. The fixed parts of the purchases are spliced to an eye above the blocks that are hooked to the waterways, then lead to the blocks stropped to the tiller and back to the tiller. Here, the loose ends of the purchase could be turned around the tiller, or around the pin mentioned in my previous post. They are not really belayed, but the turns around the tiller or the pin provide friction and hence take away some of the force of the tiller, making it easier to control it. In the model above the loose ends of the two(!) purchases seem to be joined above the tiller, which does not make sense, of course.

Unfortunately, I don't have a clear enough picture that shows this arrangement. Here is the only one I could find quickly:

121603-72.jpg

Just for curiosity sake: there is also a sort of intermediate version, where a small wheel is mounted on top of the tiller. Here the purchases are continuous and wound around the drum of the steering wheel:

121430-72.jpg

This gives some mechanical advantage because of the difference in diameter of the drum and the wheel, plus the purchase, but does not have the braking effect to seperate purchases would have.

Both pictures are from models belonging to the Altonaer Museum in Hamburg/Germany.

wefalck

Perfect ... thank you. There should be loose ends, and they are not tied to the tiller. 

Steve

-- Jack Aubrey

Builds:

• 6 years later...

That isn't always the case. There is more discussion here:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34708-tiller-tackle/#elControls_989249_menu

The tiller tackle arrangement shown below is sometimes used. The latch allows the rudder to be secured at a desired angle - sort of an "Iron Mike" for holding course. The vessel is the Lady Washington.

Tillertackle.jpg.761596f68820a1ab0cec0c3fd85e8254.jpgTiller2.jpg.09388467697d67c4735fb05832bf51d4.jpg

The tiller tackle in Steve's photo does accomplish two things. First, as the rope slides over the notch in the top of the tiller handle there is friction to slow the tiller movement. Pressing down on the rope would increase friction. There are mechanical devises available today to actually control the friction better, allowing the helmsman to move the rudder but still resist movement caused by water action. Secondly, the friction in the tackle as the ropes run through the block act as a damper to minimize sudden movement of the tiller. It acts as a shock absorber.

I am still trying to figure out when this arrangement first came into use.

Edited by Dr PR

A totally different concept of tiller rigging. On the pearling luggers of Thursday Island (Torres Strait, Northern Australia), the boats were steered by the tiller rigging rather than by the tiller itself. The photo below was taken on the lugger 'Sydney', and shows the system in operation.

John

CrewoftheSydney.png.00e736c9e1aeac611f3ce3f70bace667.png

When one looks closely at the above photograph, it is a bit strange, as it seems to show only one block on the starbord-side. The end the guy holds in his hands is loaded and runs down to the block, thence (presumably to the rail and another block(?) and from there back to the tiller. The second, loose, end the guy holds runs to a block on the rail and then to the tiller, where it is made fast with a knot, it seems. Strange assymetric rigging.

Steering with ropes running to a tiller (usually facing back out from the rudder!) or a yoke was very common on Arab vessels around the Indian ocean and also seem to have entered through them into some traditional Spanish boats.

wefalck

I think the last block is just hidden in the shadows.

CrewoftheSydney.png.00e736c9e1aeac611f3ce3f70bace667.png.23bf4bd25a2c5d5973a185f6cfe0994f.png

Craig.

I do know, that I don't know, a whole lot more, than I do know.

Current Build: 1:16 Bounty Launch Scratch build.   1:16 Kitty -18 Foot Racing Sloop   1:50 Le Renard   HM Cutter Lapwing 1816  Lapwing Drawings

Completed....: 1:16 16' Cutter Scratch build.

Discussion....: Bounty Boats Facts