How to do deck edging?

How do I do the kind of edgin shown in this picture? The instructions say to glue the outer strip first, and then glue all the planking strips. But if I glue the outmost strip first, the one that outlines/borders the edge of the deck and its shape, how do I cut out the necessary shapes to fit the planks into it like that? How would you even do it if you didn't glue the strip first?

post-6152-0-70497100-1382726825_thumb.jpg

On my AVS kit, I did the planking first, then added the Nibbing Strakes after. I traced the shape with tracing paper and transferred it to wood plank.

I cut it out slightly oversize so it could be fine tuned by sanding for an accurate fit.

Ken

post-876-0-17246000-1382727313_thumb.jpg

post-876-0-09234600-1382727316_thumb.jpg

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

I always lay the margin plank first.  As the planking goes forward, I cut the joggling into the end of the plank and lay this over the margin plank and mark the shape of the joggled end with a sharp pencil on the margin plank.  The margin plank can then be cut with a very sharp blade to take the end of the plank.

John

jim lad- what is  a margin plank and i dont think i quite understand your technique is there a simpler way to explain it?

barehook- but how do you know what the original shape of the ends of the planks are to be and how do you make sure its symmetrical with the other side?

I'm guessing what John is saying is that he temporarily fits the margin (your term, Edging) plank first without cutting the inner edge. He then runs the conventional planks forward having cut the ends to shape, joggling as he calls it. He then traces round the "joggled" end onto the margin plank for cutting. That's the way I read it anyway and it seems to make sense!

Spencer,

Sorry I was a bit obtuse.  QA's explanation of my confusion is correct.

The photo below might show you what I mean.  It shows my Stag with the deck planking part completed.  The red arrow is pointing to the margin plank (the edging).  The green arrow shows joggled planks (the planks with the shaped ends) fitted into the margin.  The purple arrow simply points to the uncut or shaped portion of the margin plank outside the planking currently fitted.

The next plank to go on will have its end shaped and then the margin will be marked using the shaped plank end as a template and then cut to fit the shaped plank end.  The trick with this method is to make sure you have a REALLY sharp blade to cut out the margin so that you don't get any torn edges.

You can get a larger view simply by clicking your mouse on the photo.

John

post-5-0-24705900-1382905146_thumb.jpg

Ohhhh ok that makes so much sense, so you just temporarily have the edge plank in place using mini nails or something? And how do you decide what the actual shape for the end of the planks will be? How do you know what degree to cut them at? Or do you just do what looks right?

Spencer,

I fit the margin plank permanently and cut it in place (I like to live dangerously! :)  but seriously, it's not difficult to do).

The square end of the plank should be half the plank width.  If the plank meets the margin at such an angle that the bevelled edge would be less than the plank width, then the plank isn't joggled, but if the bevel is longer than the plank width then it needs to be joggled. 

If you lay the plank in place on the margin plank you can mark the correct length for the bevel - it will be where the side of the plank crosses the margin.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Spencer

I totally agree with Jim I did my Diana deck with this method, I use a scalpel handle with a new blade to cut and remove the part of the margin plank that's joggled into.

post-10-0-29905000-1383783006_thumb.jpg

Regards Ray

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

Spencer,

That edge plank is called the margin plank. There will also be waterways that is much narrower, sits on top of the margin plank and it butted up against the bulwarks. I do the same technique as Jim and Ray does. I have found it helpful to score where the cuts are with the back (unsharpened) side of a #11 X-Acto knife first. I do several light scores, not one deep one. This helps the blade to stay on track when you do the actual cutting.

Ron W.

Edited by bushman32

Ron W.