Jump to content

Dfell

Members
  • Content Count

    176
  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Dfell

  • Birthday 02/17/1950

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Devon, England

Recent Profile Visitors

1,809 profile views
  1. Hello - Okay all done and dusted. Finished. The Cutter Sherbourne now on display in its acrylic case. Thank you to all of you for looking in and your comments and the 'likes'. Not sure what the next build will be....... Regards Doug
  2. Hello - I finished about a week ago and now just waiting for the holiday period to end so as I can order the display case. The anchors all roped up - I know the anchors should be tied with a knot but always think the knot ends up looking rather large. Have done the stand / slipway - idea pinched from Dubz who I would like to thank although by the looks of things he has been banned. A great loss. All rope coils added. Well that's it, other to thank al
  3. Hello Gazzarian Thank you for the nice comment. I stained the walnut with a medium oak stain and a flat varnish. Regards Doug
  4. Hello - The finish line is in sight. Rigging done except for the anchors as awaiting to order suitable thread which seems to be out of stock. Have redone the front stay as felt the mouse / collar section needed to be lower down. Tiller rigged plus rope support for steps. Also swivel guns installed. The brackets are hooks straightened out then bent into required shape. A 2mm hole drilled into the gun posts and a brass tube inserted and then the brackets plus gun. Was not confident in fitting handles to swivel guns which I would like to have done.
  5. Hello - quite a few stages on. Shrouds, ratlines (least favourite job), stays and start of some running rigging. Happened across which I thought was an empty parts sheet when I noticed this part still attached. Cound not find any reference to it either on plans or Parts Listing but on searching other Sherbourne builds it is the rest for the Gaff boom - the stool. This has been glued in place plus some support brackets. Have now got some figures to help with getting a feel for the scale of things - pumps probably still too big......
  6. Hello - some more steps forward. Masts shaped and dry fitted along with the gaff boom. Bowspit also dry fitted plus some blocks. The Yards and Driver Gaff shaped and ready to be fitted. Some steps have been added. Some eyelets attached to tiller but not sure how I am going to rig it up as the steps are close by. Another view. Thank you very much JpR62 for your lovely comments - much appreciated. Also thank you for looking in and the 'likes'
  7. Hello - more bits and pieces done. The channels and deadeyes fixed into position - pinned and glued. The angle of the strops was done by tying thread to the mast at the correct height and aligning it with the deadeye. The catheads fixed into position with two grooves cut out and a dowel inserted through the side. The bolts are just brass wire inserted and a drop of black paint added. The pumps have been shortened - hopefully a more suitable size. May buy some of those sailor figures seen on some builds which probably helps with the sc
  8. Hello - just a short update. Pumps now in place - look a large feature on the deck. Maybe made them too big. Fixed the what ever it is called skirt around rudder. Copied this from tkay 11. Made the round fitting from scrap ply and not brass. Thank you for looking in and the 'Likes' ccoyle (Chris) - Sorry not come across your build and cannot see it in the index. Maybe you could show me where to find it as would like to see your build. Regards Doug
  9. Hi - progress update. Guns fully rigged although I haven't seen anyone do the rear rigging so far so maybe I'm missing a trick here. Thank you for your kind comments Blue Ensign and Edwardkenway but I feel my rigging is a bit clumsy and not realistic - maybe make the rope hang more naturally or frapp them (hopefull right term). Blocks look too large. Other bits and pieces added -cleats, belaying racks (possible should be fitted slightly higher), timberheads and catheads (dry fitted). Pumps made - although it took a few
  10. Hello Liam Have fun doing the rigging of the cannons - very fiddly 🙂 Used 0.75 thread for main restraining rope and 0.10 for the other bits. Nice to see another Sherbourne. Regards Doug
  11. Hello - an update on the cannons. Now nearly completed rigged up - just the rear set up to do. First I had small hooks attached made from very small eyelets to the 2mm blocks but when put in place the blocks were just about touching so just fixed eyelet into carriage side and bulwark. Difficult not to make it all a bit out of scale and clumsy. Have filled the rather bad holes in winch. Thanks for looking in and the encouraging comments and likes. Regards D
  12. Hello - a quick update as I am awaiting on some bits to rig the cannons. The cannon carriages are from Chris Watton - so thank you Edwardkenway for your help there. Like the detail to the wheels. Hatches made and placed in situ not glued as yet plus some other deck fittings. Some rather bad square holes put in the winch🙁 Thank you for looking in and the comments / likes. KevW good luck with your Sherbourne - look forward to seeing it. Regards Doug
  13. Sorry - just realised it was Chuck Passaro I contacted and not Chris so I will try Chris Watton. Thank you for all for your help. Regards Doug
  14. Hello Edwardkenway - yes I asked Chris but he said he doesn’t have anything that size (3 pounder) and didn’t think anywhere else would. I will look on his site again - maybe the smallest size carriage he does might be okay as the kit supplied carriages look a little bit small for the barrels and fiddly to fully rig. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...