Parts 5b and 6 . Planking the Hull. Finishing the Stern and Inboard Planking.
Ok, so I got my hull planked..it was not pretty. But I went into it knowing that I would be covering it with copper, so I my goal was getting a smooth hull. With the help of lot of filler I think I accomplished that goal.
The first thing I did was add the second layer of wales. This should have been straight forward however the 5/32 X 1/32" strips required per the practicum were not included with the kit. After contacting Model Expo I was informed that these were not to be provied with the kit. (I'm not sure why this is, but I'll add this to my list of extra parts needed at the beginning of my log.) After a quick trip to Northeast Scale Lumber this was remedied.
Once I had the parts the second layer of wales and sheer strake were easily completed.
Things go interesting once the plaking began. I took the approprate measurement and did the required calculations to figure out how much I needed my planks to taper at the bow. The number were right in line with what they were supposed to be so I had at it.
A couple of things I took from this...
If tapering planks by hand with a sanding block, taper a few planks at once. It keeps the planks from rolling on thier sides while sanding and it saves time. After some practice I was able to taper planks using my micro belt sander.
Measure carefully and take your time. I got careless with my measurments and I payed the price towards the end when I ran out of room for planks at the bow.
I found it was much easier to use CA glue for planking. I also used fixer on the CA for the stern where the extreme bends make things more difficult to keep in place while glue is setting.
It took a few single plank inserts to get this done.
Once the hull was planked I applied copious amounts of filler and sanded the bejesus out of the hull until smooth.
Whew!!! I think the shape came out pretty nice over all even though you couldn't stain the hull.
I once I transfered the waterline to the hull I gave it a few coats of Golden's Carbon Black. Because I'm using acrylic paint I am also using a water based finish coat of Minwax Polycrylic. I like the look overall, but be warned the clear satin may be a bit too glossy for some.
I did finally get my lasercut transom from Model Expo, which allowed me to finish the stern.
No real issues here to report. Fairly straight forward.
Be sure to sand the stern down to at least 3/32 as per the practicum. I was a little over and it became an issue when installing the cap rail.
After the stern was complete I began planking the inboard bulwarks. Again this is just like planking the outer bulwarks, no real suprises.
Once the inner planking was complete I gave the inboard a couple coats of red, some Polycrylic to finish and got to work on the cap rail.
I visited my friends at Northeast Scale Lumber again to grab a 1/16" thick sheet of basswood for this. I was able to get the outer curve of the bulwarks by tracing the as per the practicum and to get the inner curve I used a french curve. After carefully cutting out on side I used it as a template for the other...making sure of course the hull was symmetrical enough to do so. This was only necessary for the first 3rd of the rail. The remainder was completed with a 3/16 strip. Although I'm not sure I wouldn't use a 1/4 inch strip if I had to do it again, since you need to add a 1/16 x 1/16 strip to the outer edge later anyway.
Next Up is the Deck Planking.