HMS Bounty 1783 by rcmdvr - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:48

You are welcome..

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

• 2 weeks later...

I spent the last week or so assembling the masts.  The books recommended by Captain Poison helped.  My tapering is a bit crude.  I have to place the dowels in a drill motor clamped in a vice, hold the free end of the dowel between two sanding blocks.  I am using 60 grit to shape the masts.

I ran out of dowel before I ran out of masts.  I will have to purchase some walnut doweling to produce the bowspirit.  I think one of the local woodworking stores will carry this.

I had to guess which parts created the crow's nest platforms.  I think I will be OK.

The instructions do not lend any hints as to the order of rigging.  I would assume that assembly and mounting of the masts is early in the process.

post-13869-0-15952800-1445116741_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-66177600-1445116748_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-63489100-1445116764_thumb.jpg

Completed Builds:  USS Cairo by BlueJacket;  Nave Egizia by Amati;  Harriet Lane by Model Shipways

After the basic mast assembly I began work on the Dead Eyes.  Manufacturing the chains connecting the dead eyes to the hull were time consuming.  A used nails hammered into a block of wood as a bending jig.  Worked pretty well.  I have got to research a way to blacken brass and silver solder.  The chemistry described on this sight is not available locally (and I live in LA!).  I guess I will have to import something from the internet.

post-13869-0-82080600-1445117112_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-93048300-1445117155_thumb.jpg

Completed Builds:  USS Cairo by BlueJacket;  Nave Egizia by Amati;  Harriet Lane by Model Shipways

LA, you're certainly making good progress and doing good work.  I've been working on just the mizzen mast for two or three weeks now.  I agree that A.L. has zero instructions and only one picture of the crows nest (platform) assembly which isn't clear enough to take direction from.  But the plans are pretty detailed and accurate and in conjunction with the parts list they can be used to assemble a pretty good impersonation of the Bounty's mast structures.  Are you considering your masts finished or is there more that you'll put on?  Cause what I've noticed on your pictures is that you haven't put on a lot of the little detail pieces that I've found so time consuming just to figure out from the plan drawings.  For example, you haven't put on stiffeners, bolsters (or chocks), spreaders.  I may not be seeing them in the pix.  Did you decide against them (for a model they don't add anything in the way of strength, only adherence to historical accuracy), or are you going to add them later?  Oh, I forgot, are you glued in yet?  Doesn't look like it but thought I'd ask.  And so you'll add the crow's nest platform and all its blocks and holes later? 

My plan is to take each mast individually and do one at a time even though there's so much similarity to all 3.  That way they'll only get easier.  I've pretty much finished fabricating all the pieces for the mizzen and will be assembling it soon (after I restain the lower mast dowel itself).  The order of assembly is tricky, isn't it?  You have to make sure that parts can slide on over other parts.  So thanks for posting these pictures; they help me in what I'm doing.  I'll post some on my build log as well and maybe they'll help you with any of that detail work you will (or won't) do. :)

I have not mounted my masts.  What I have completed is just the barebones.  I became quite confused about how to proceed.  I am used to diretions that are more step-by-step.  I figured if I was able to just get the main mast assemblies I could go back to add the details.  I am using the rigging "figures" included with the plans.  I am not beginning to add the detail that is show in Figure 1.  Hopefully, following the order of the Figures, I will be heading in the right direction.  I am sure I will miss detail, but I will learn as I proceed.

I am using some of your photos to assist in this process.

You're not the only one confused by the detail of these mast structures and finding no help in A.L.'s instructions.  Reading plans is very hard for me but I'm gradually getting better at it.   If you hold off a bit on adding those confusing details I will try to update my log specifically on that topic.  I'm going to take some pictures (my modelling is better than my photography) and hopefully they serve to show what I believe is each piece and where it goes.  Watch for this update in the next couple days.

OK, LA I'm here to lend whatever knowledge of bowsprits I can.  First recall that I've posted as many questions about this than anything else.  It remains a mystery.  I put the wrong blocks on because the kit just doesn't describe each one very clearly.  On the top of the bowsprit they should be hearts, not regular blocks and these will lash to another set of hearts coming down from the foremast on the stay and preventer stay.

As for the tip and the sheaves etc.  You need to drill a 1mm hole at that point and then with a file get it to be (I think) 4mm long...like a racetrack looks.  I drilled two holes spaced appropriately apart and took out the inside (the back and home stretch so to speak) with a file.  Make sure you align this hole at 0 degrees north (ie pointing straight up).  I goofed it up one way or the other and Danny warned me that it will make a big difference come rigging.  I would suggest you drill this hole before doing anything, and then orient everything else in relation to it.  Its easier to place the cradle and other pieces (blocks and cleats) with the hole as a reference.  I'm pretty sure where I went wrong is that I had to make an adjustment to the inboard end so that it would slide into the hole (forgot the part name).  This probably threw my sheave hole out of alignment.

Once you have the hole drilled and reamed to size (the size is dictated by the size of the sheave to put in it), you'll need to drill a small hole (very small) to take the sheave shaft.  Try the best you can to make this hole 90 degrees to the fore and aft line of the sprit.  I've taken to using my big drill press rather than trusting to do it free hand with a Dremel.  Then put the sheave into the slot and insert whatever shaft you've made to hold it.  I use a drop of CA on both sides which seeps into the shaft hole and holds it in.  Hopefully the CA doesn't seep too far in and seize the sheave, but if it does, no big deal; this is only a model, it doesn't need to spin.

As for the hooks and stuff there.  It took a lot of looking at pictures and some other member's comments to get me to see the light.  There will be a brass collar around the sprit which is seized somehow to the jib sail.  The line that will run through that sheave we just built will hook onto the collar.  This will allow the clew of the sail (I may have the term wrong, but the forward most corner) to slide forward and back a few inches on the sprit.  In reality its a way for the crew to tighten up the shape of the sail.  I haven't done the fittings to make this work yet.

Have you figured out the 'bees of bowsprit' yet?  If you need help in this let me know with a private message.

Hope this helps. 

Continue to work on rigging.  I find I am spending a lot of time looking over plans and having to "guess" which block to attach where.  I have several sets of blocks that look the same.  I think I am making progress but certainly not performing at the level many other builders at this site do.  On the other side of the coin, wow, is this a learning experience.  First, I am trying out new skills.  I have not often taken on a project where I have a clip holding "ropes" between my lips, tweezers and other clamps in my hands and wishing I had two more appendages to hold more.  Second, I am quite taken by the engineering feats these ships were.  I am beginning to see how these ship's masts were held together.  While here are some shots of my work:

post-13869-0-73511500-1446403206_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-72263300-1446403214_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-92102000-1446403226_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-99230400-1446403240_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-12190200-1446403254_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-50399900-1446403265_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the date of my last posting, it has been awhile.  I have continued work on the lower portion of the three masts and have got most of the shrouds installed.  I have also constructed the three crow's nests.  They have not been glued to anything yet.  I am now following the rigging diagrams provided with the instructions.  There are twelve "figures" showing the masts and rigging.  The "figures" are not very explanatory and I have never felt as lost in building a model but I plow on.  I have looked thru many a build log of Bounties and other build trying to get an idea of how to proceed.  While you experts might find errors galore, I think to a building outsider, they will be impressed.  I find rigging to be both frustration and rewarding.  Well.....I press on.

post-13869-0-80529800-1447561795_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-09736100-1447561805_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-03698800-1447561813_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-96699200-1447561818_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-14494000-1447561824_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-61350000-1447561830_thumb.jpg

Well this was a productive weekend.  Able to get the basic rigging on the lower portions of the fore, main and mizzen mast.  As mentioned before, I am a bit lost, but forging forward.

post-13869-0-01790600-1447639595_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-40704000-1447639605_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-65286300-1447639615_thumb.jpg

Excellent stuff:-) As one who is just a step behind you I'm finding the latest photos and details helpful and so instructive.

Thanks,

Bryan

Completed build Caronada Francese

Completed build Posto di Combattimanto

Current build Navio Rayo - Puesto de Combate

Current build HMS Bounty

Completed build HMS Victory Cross Section

Completed build HM Brig "Supply"

Completed build The Lady Nelson

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

You have a great build there :). I am going to be starting a build of the Artesania Latina Bounty myself soon and i am thinking about whether to paint or not to paint the keel, beams and frames. The reason for this is i am thinking that wood glue does not work too well on painted surfaces. Could you tell me how you found it with your painted model

Thanks

Edited by Cobr@

I painted the keel and bulkheads after assembly.  I made sure that where any cross beams for decking were glued to bulkheads that the paint was sanded off to ensure good adhesion.  I have had no problem with any of the hull coming apart.

Hey LA, its been awhile since I've checked out your build log (due to my own health distractions) but I want to tell you how great a job you're doing!  Its actually inspiring me to get back to the work bench as soon as I can.  I also want to thank you for posting some great detailed pictures.  They are going to help me with my own masts and rigging tremendously.  I've purposely let you catch up and get ahead of me so I can just follow the leader; makes things much simpler. :)

I have one question from looking at your deadeyes up top (the ones that go on the platforms.  What technique are you using for the stroppings that go down through the holes?  It looks like some sort of twisted wire?  How have you been able to get the eyes through the holes?  Or have you made the eyes after the wire was in the holes?  I find that hard to do but I also can't figure out how to make the eye first and get it down into a 1mm or less hole? 

Sorry I have not posted for awhile.  Work does continue.  I will try to get some photos up soon.  I wrapped my deadeyes with copper wire, slightly crimped the wires together and then twisted until I had a 1/2 "needle" extending down from the dead eye.  I this drilled out the platforms with holes large enough to accept the twisted wires.  The last step was to use rounded needle nose pliers to bend a loop under the platform to hold the deadeye in place.  My execution of this last task was not the best.

While this worked, I do believe there has to be a better way.

Thanks LA.  I sort of figured that's how you did it.  And not being critical cause I've tried several different methods, I agree there is probably better ways.  We just have to figure them out.  I would like to be able to take a .8mm or 1.0 mm wire (or rod) and use it for the stropping, leaving an inch or so "needle" to extend down through the hole.  Then with the needle nose pliers (or better yet, round nose pliers) form an eye out of this needle.  But I can't really do this well, at least when the piece is already mounted on the boat.  Maybe a good technique is to look ahead a few steps and mount these deadeyes on their pieces (like channels and platforms) before mounting the piece.  That way you could work with the pliers with the piece in a vise and from any angle you want.  Just thinking aloud.

• 1 month later...

I guess that I am not the best build log producer.  I have noticed that it has been quite a while since I last posted.  I continue with the task of rigging.  Wow!  Rigging has turned out to be a much more difficult task than I ever imagined.  You can spend several hours with cords, threads and tweezers; only to find you have built a single yard.

One of the first tasks I had to play with was tapering yards.  I tried multiple ideas that resulted in broken dowels all over the shop.  Finally, I found if I put the dowel in my hand drill and then slowly passed the end of the yard over my belt sander (affixed to the work bench) I could carefully taper the ends.  Not as exact as a lathe method but cheaper (I don't own a lathe).  Only a few dollars in shattered dowels.

The actual rigging is not difficult but tedious.  One problem I have not solved is getting a very sore back as I lean over the model for hours carefully threading and tying knots.  Looked on the internet for adjustable height tables but WOW are they ever costly.  Any solutions out there.

I have to admit to a mortal sin of ship building.  I have resorted to using CA to set the knots.  It does cause the ropes to become stiff, but it allows me to work on without knots unraveling.  I can also use simpler knots. 

I certainly have not been able to re-create the work of some of the building artists on this site, but I am happy and proud with my result.  Perhaps as my modeling skills develop I will be able to seize, tie and wrap with the best.

I have also had photography issues.  My shop is very small and now crowded with tools, work tables and now a model that is much larger than I anticipated.  I now find it very hard to take photos of the model.  I finally dragged it outside and photographed it against my white garage door.  Not great but I think you can see my work.  Here are the photos:

post-13869-0-65946700-1452971323_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-59139100-1452971337_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-29693100-1452971352_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-12914900-1452971365_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-55868100-1452971375_thumb.jpg

post-13869-0-41379900-1452971383_thumb.jpg

Hi LA.

Very nice work so far. Your rigging looks spot on.

Don't rush it.. I will be watching ...

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

• 2 weeks later...

I have to be honest.  When assembling the mast, I really didn't pay much attention to the rake.  I was too absorbed in just getting the pieces right.  I had quite a bit of problem following the directions as I assembled the masts.  Tapering was a huge concern. 

I am nearing completion of this model.  I hope to update the photos soon.  I elected not to add sails to the model.  I have to be honest.  I have been on this project since April and I am having problem maintaining my enthusiasm.  This is without a doubt the most complicated hobby project I have ever attempted.  It has been a huge learning experience..

I went back and read my first post.  I had worried back then that I had overstepped my experience level....wow was I right.  I am now beginning to think about my next project.  I have three kits sitting on the shelf in my shop.  The Santa Maria and Mississippi River King by AL and the Nordkap by Billings.  Each are hugely different (all are gifts).  Ah....choices

Hi your build is looking great hope mine ends up as good :)

Could you tell me where in the instruction it tells you what size step to put in the bottom of the masts so they fit in the oblong holes in the mast steps. Had a look but can't find the place

Thank you

Edited by Cobr@

Cobr, I can tell you from way way long ago that there is no such instruction.  You will probably just do what I and others did -- square off the bottom of the mast so it fits.  I can remember scratching my head and wondering how strong a round peg in a square hole would be -- it would tend to twist -- until I realized just square the end and it'll fit snug.

Hey LA, good work all around.  Someone earlier noted you are your toughest critic.  I agree.  Nothing about your build looks like a first attempt.

I hear you about losing enthusiasm after awhile -- in my case I've been on this same model for 2+ years now and am just getting into building the masts.  I'm curious as to whether you not only decided to forego sails (I won't be putting mine on either), but if you've also reduced the rigging to pretty much the bare minimum.  I'm no expert so I can't tell if you've done all standing rigging and not going to do running rigging (since no sails), or if there might be some of the standing rigging that you decided to pass on.