Sultana by Bob the Builder - Model Shipways - First Wooden Ship Build

I'm doing a combination hand-building some things, and using some of the cast-metal items supplies with the kit, such as the windlass, binnacle,

galley stack, and figurehead.  The windlass will be improved upon with hand mixing and painting for the impression of Oak, then weathered a bit...

post-20188-0-98796900-1435532149_thumb.jpg

Current Build : Sultana Schooner

The transom is next - I've added height to the overall shape as Mr Passaro outlines in the practicum, and I too, will give depth and dimension by

stacking two 1/32 sheets together (the first layer will hold the window detail, the outer layer will show architectural details...

post-20188-0-79950400-1435532325_thumb.jpg

From posting these pictures right after a day's work, I've learned that maybe I should make some pictures, and then study them to see what details can be finished in a better way before I post them for all to see.  It gives an honest perspective that I don't have staring at the project all day on my bench...

Are your gratings finished or dry fitted?

I ask because I believe they should be set into each other (like egg crating or those divider cardboard sheets between bottles at the liquor store) so the top side and underside are flush.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

This will sound easier than it is...

Practice on two or four scrap pieces  first.

Take all your pieces (top and bottom) and use CA glue (a very extremely small dab) at a similar corner at both ends and secure them to a base board, side by side, in line, solder style to look like one solid piece,

Let this cure.

Mark off the thickness of the pieces with a very sharp pointed soft HB pencil and a 90° square perpendicular (across) to the joints

Cut into the pieces (straight down, light cuts) with a sharp thin blade (exacto) knife to not more than half the thickness of the pieces following the lines

Chisel out the notch making light diagonal cuts

Fold some sand paper and using the edge sand out the humps... or use the edge of a nail file if it will work

Use rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball to wet the glued ends of the wood, let this soak in for some time to free the glued ends. Do not force the pieces apart however tempting this may seem.  The rubbing alcohol will dissolve the glue and you should be able to twist them off.

Dry fit the notched pieces together

If they look reasonably good glue them together to make your rough grating

Very lightly sand top and bottom sides to be flush and you are done

There is no better feeling then having done it yourself!

Edited by AON

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

I got on a scratch-building kick, before opening the kit bags.  I'm gonna go back and use the cast gratings supplied with the kit. I think I can detail-paint to make those appear to be wood.

Check out the grating kits offered by Chuck P's SYREN Ship Modeling Company. I have made my own in the past, but just finished up one of these. Very nice!

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

• 1 month later...

Hi Bob,

Check out THIS LINK in my build log where I'm making Parrels - lots of them! You can use the same technique for making your gratings.

:cheers:  Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi