English Merchantman Mayflower 1620 by RRLittle - FINISHED - Life-Like - Plastic - 1:250

5th December - 

Work is slow right now, doing what I can when I am able. The braces for the main mast yards are up. Due to my shaky hands, the process took longer than anticipated. Also, my main camera is still down, so this image's quality is not the greatest. Monday things should improve. 

Cheers,

- Robert

5e-Braces.jpg

Current Project - 

Dover Cut & Assemble "Santa Maria", 1/96

• 2 weeks later...

The mizzen tackle proved to be a challenge. Here, I failed, once more, to heed my own advice; work inside to outside, bottom to top. Failing to do that, I found myself having to work around rigging. It was tedious.

5f2-Mizzen%252520Rigging.jpg

It was completed, but took far longer than expected. As a result of my poor planning, I decided that some additional rigging details were going to be omitted altogether, though I don't think their absence has made too much of an impact.

5f2-Mizzen%252520Rigging%252520Final.jpg

Current Project - 

The bowlines were made from 32 gauge brass wire, built up separately, and carefully installed in place.

5f3-Bowlines.jpg

Finally, the sheets and mainsail tacks were added. This completed the bulk of the running rigging. As you can tell, by this point, my other camera was back up and running as well. 

6b.JPG

Current Project - 

Great model, very well executed. These little pyro kits are ace!

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

Meant to include this shot earlier. This is the bowsprit rigging while it was underway. To help keep the lines taut, I used these new miniature clothes pegs. They are fairly inexpensive for a large number of them. Highly recommended as an addition to your tool set. 

5g-Bow%252520Rigging.jpg

Current Project - 

The last items on the ship itself that needed attention were the anchors. The kit includes a simple one that lacks stocks. Another anchor was cut from styrene sheet, a brass ring was added, and they were painted and weathered before colored cardstock stocks were added. This should give an idea of how small they are; this was shot through a large desk loupe. The scale is in inches. The scratch built anchor is on the right. 

6h-Anchors.jpg

Current Project - 

The anchors were carefully rigged as per the original Anderson/Pritchard design, tied to the fore ratlines. Two flags were made from cigarette paper (note; I'm a nonsmoker) with colors added with colored pens. Fine line was looped around the flagstaffs on the fore and main mast, and the flags glued into place, after pre-shaping them. 

All that remains in this shot is the nameplate on the now painted stand. The model itself is now finished. Construction time was estimated to be over 100 hours. 

7-Complete.jpg

Current Project -