Jump to content

extra partial (top timber) frame

Recommended Posts

Can someone tell me the proper name for any extra partial top timber frame?


I was into a rhythm drawing my frames and suddenly noticed something was wrong.

After about 20 minutes I suddenly saw it tuck in between two frames above a gun port.


(see the attached image below)


Of course I had some choice names for it at the time, but now that I've had time to...  reflect...  I probably should be calling it something else.


Thanks in advance for your help with this.




Link to comment
Share on other sites

My guess is:  filler top .


In any case,  what you show is a nightmare.  Tapered timbers - shifted timbers.  re-enforces my preference for planking everything from the main wale on up. In which case, it is easier and makes for a more stable hull to fill the spaces above the main wale with timbers.

Edited by Jaager
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for the very good suggestion Jagger!


It was suggested this would take some research to find out.

I'm guessing it was not that common.


I have a small library that I will look through once more... and of course there is the inter-web which I will delve into further but I have a feeling you may be correct as it may have just been a "toptimber filler piece" as opposed to that sneaky little so and so.


For the present mine will be referred to affectionately :rolleyes:  as Waldo.


Regarding your comment on the choice of build... there are moments I feel I may have bitten off more than I can chew but I have nothing but time and I can be very patient but certainly never quit.  I am hoping it will be more fun than it seems. It will definitely be a worthy challenge.... and ah loves a challenge!



Edited by AON
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Peter Goodwin (Sailing Man of War, 1987, pg.15,16) and C.N. Longridge (Anatomy of Nelson's Ships, 1981, pg.19) both call them "lengthening pieces".  DH Roberts' translation of Blaise Ollivier's Remarks on the Navies of the English and the Dutch (1992, pg.65) calls them "fifth futtocks", but this is a translation of Ollivier's best guess on the subject.  Generally, I believe they're also occasionally called "filling pieces".  This seems to be the case whether they're above a port sill, as in your example, or attached to an unbroken bend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...