Lowering Cannons on USS Constitution

I have an issue with my USS Constitution cannons. They sit a little high in the gun ports. Only about 1 1/2 mm to 2 mm but it's noticeable. The options I have thought of are to

1) place a small 1 1/2 mm piece of wood under the but of the barrel

2) make the notch deeper that the wheel axles sit in

3) cut notches in the axle where it mounts to the carriage

4) make a flat spot on the wheels.

5) make a different carriage all together.

If you have tried any of these or have a better remedy I sure would like to hear from you

Thanks

Greg H.

GREG H.

Are the barrels all at the same angle?  I think George has the answer.  However, if the barrels end point downward to be centered, then the carriage needs to be modified.  Pictures would help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Greg there isn't a quoin under the barrel in the rear.

The red arrow indicates the quoin! post-12186-0-11549400-1453779746_thumb.jpg

Edited by GLakie

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Once the port is framed the rest of the way (bottom cill, side timbers) that will be pretty centered as is. It looks high now because the port opening is wider and taller than the finished opening.

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Also, if you click on the drawing provided above, make sure your axles are at least as high as the drawing, check the height proportionally of the trunnions, side cheeks, basically everything to each other.  You may find something you can alter to make up the difference.

Once specific guns and carriages were determines, the carpenters would adjust as needed to make the guns fit the port openings; your situation is not unusual, especially with your guns and ship coming from different manufacturers.

In the first photo, it looks to me like the trunnions are sitting too high on the carriage - the centerline of the trunnion should be even with the top.  If this is the case, you might be able to deepen the notches to lower the cannon a bit.

Richard

Richard

From the first photo it does look as if the trunnion C/L is to high, it also looks as if the trunnions are at the bottom of the barrel, not the C/L of the bore. That was done with Cannonades not with cannons and required a different mount with slides etc.. Think you might have the proper carriages but the wrong guns to go with those carriages.

jud :pirate41:

Edited by shiloh

Shiloh,

English and American long guns had the trunnions not centered but 1/3 of way down.  The picture/plan above is correct in this.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)