Small Sailboat by Keith Simmons - FINISHED

While waiting for the Weelig Straal masts to dry I decided I should start a 12"L x 3"W sailboat I need for another model I'm working on. This time I will try a solid hull since the size has to be specific and hopefully I can control it better. Just grabbed some scrap ply and wood to glue up and start making a dust cloud...:)

post-24231-0-86324600-1458059206_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-08284600-1458059232_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-06447900-1458059254_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-99651300-1458059271_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

I probably shouldn't have kept a build log on this boat till I knew what it would look like. Anyway, I jigged it up in my drill press and hogged out the stern section and cleaned it up with a chisel, Then I ran it through the table saw cutting the keel base down to accept the final keel extension. The planking is quartersawn African Mahogany and the cabin is cherry. The whole boat is finished in 3 coats of Lacquer.  I believe I will refrain from build logs till and when I have something significant to share. 

Thanks for the views and comments,

Keith

post-24231-0-96191100-1458248064_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-61779900-1458248224_thumb.jpg

post-24231-0-78750800-1458248247_thumb.jpg

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

I like the see them as they're built logs.  We learn not only from success but from the re-dos.   :)  ;)

She's looking really sweet.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Keith

I'm with Mark, because, as my late Father always said, "we never stop learning until the day we die". In your case, even the most knowledgeable and skilled builder can never know everything. That's what makes MSW so great...namely the fact that we all learn from everyone.

Besides, it looks like you're having way too much fun with your models. You need to share that fun with us!

Cheers and bring on the build logs!

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Well done Kieth. She looks great.

I think doing a quick small side projects can keep you going on the big ones.